Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 152

Thread: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

  1. #71
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Come on. Don't be obtuse. I'm not comparing guns to marijuana. I'm comparing the issue of gun control with legalization of marijuana, because the arguments from the opposition are similarly structured. In both cases people place blame on an inanimate object instead of blaming the person responsible. I also find it rather amusing that you've shifted your argument to lung disease. If that really was your concern, you would have come right out of the gate with that, but you didn't. You resorted to that because you've run out of arguments.
    I'm not being obtuse. It's a lousy analogy. The tobacco/marijuana analogy is a much better one.

  2. #72
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    At least you've learned something today.
    No, I was completely aware that the lungs were meant for breathing, not inhaling smoke, before I ventured into this thread. This is not news to me.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #73
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    No, I was completely aware that the lungs were meant for breathing, not inhaling smoke, before I ventured into this thread. This is not news to me.
    ....and yet you still choose to smoke. Tell me, why do you smoke it then?

  4. #74
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I'm not being obtuse. It's a lousy analogy. The tobacco/marijuana analogy is a much better one.
    It's not a lousy analogy because the arguments from people opposing guns and people opposing legalization of marijuana are similarly structured because in both cases they blame inanimate objects rather than the person using these things. The only reason you think the tobacco/marijuana analogy works better is because it goes along with your new desperate argument.

  5. #75
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You mean like tobacco?


    source
    Why are you so against people making their own choices?

    The warnings for smoking, drinking, driving, eating fastfood, and even using a hair dryer in the shower are stated plainly.

    Why do you feel compelled to legislate what people can and can't do when it doesn't violate your rights directly or indirectly?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #76
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    It's not a lousy analogy because the arguments from people opposing guns and people opposing legalization of marijuana are similarly structured because in both cases they blame inanimate objects rather than the person using these things. The only reason you think the tobacco/marijuana analogy works better is because it goes along with your new desperate argument.
    It just seems like you're reaching that's all. The tobacco/marijuana comparison works much better because of a number of similarities of the substances; both are weeds, both are smoked, tobacco, like marijuana was once illegal....

  7. #77
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What is the damage inflicted by keeping marijuana illegal? Does the benefit out way making it legal.

    As far as I know I can pretty much get pot anytime I want to so keeping it illegal certianly does not affect supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Used as directed a firearm won't hurt anyone. Use marijuana as diredted and you will experience lung disease. I believe that's the difference.
    You will develop lung disease? this is a guarantee? A tad hyperbolic here are we not?

    Regardless, I asked you to show how damaging marijuana is to society, and I thank you for your response to that, seems all you managed to provide in response was a potential for lung disease, which others have been kicking you around over for quite a few pages now it seems.

    Was that the best you could do? sure smoking anything might be likely to induce lung complications, this totally overlooks that there are other delivery methods such as edible consumption, and vaporization that could be promoted and encouraged in a prohibition free environment.

    And how is this potential to cause lung more sinister, and deleterious to society as say obesity caused by junk food? The health risks there are palpable and real as well.. if you are concerned with our health and how that effects society as a whole I think you need to expand your crusade.

    Then again what if we considered that prohibition does nothing to mitigate the potential lung issues that may occur from marijuana smoking? This becomes a non issue when it comes to the legalization v. prohibition argument.

    I could turn the argument around on you here and say that prohibition is putting more children at risk of exposure to lung disease before they are capable of making informed decisions. Instead we should be taking steps to encourage marijuana usage to be the sole providence of adults, who are quite capable and quite entitled to making decisions on what to do with their lives and their health all on their own.

    All you have shown is a potential effect on an individual, you have done nothing to show effects on society here.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #78
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Are they now? The effects of tabacco on our society and the individuals who use them are massive, enduring, and profounding insidious. As a society we are trying very hard to limit the effects of them by heavily taxing them and carrying on a 20 year campaign to encourage our children to not smoke, not to mention outright bans on where you can smoke the damn things. Just what sense does it make to encourage the use of yet another drug with similar or even worse effects on the human body?



    source
    How is this a rebuttal to the argument that the effects of marijuana prohibition on society are a distinct entity independent of the effects of marijuana the drug?

    btw.. I agree we need a campaign to encourage children not to use marijuana as well as continuing the campaign to encourage them not to smoke tobacco. Which is why we need to end prohibition, so we can take steps to insure it is not readily available to our kids, and also take proactive steps to make it unappealing to children, neither of which are occuring in any way shape or form under prohibition.

    prohibition is encouraging children to use marijuana by making it effortless for them to get their hands on it, if we want to create an environment that minimizes exposure of children to marijuana, and a foundation for a legitimate campaign to lower marijuana usage among minors we need to first make some kind of attemp to get it out of their hands. Prohibition does NOT do that.
    Last edited by marduc; 10-29-09 at 04:06 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #79
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Exactly. I am a smoker. I understand the danger. I am still free to make a choice, and I have chosen to smoke. Let's also consider that Cannabis is much less dangerous than a cigarette ever will be.
    you just think you've chosen to smoke. wait until you try to quit, then you know choice doesn't have a lot to do with it anymore.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #80
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marijuana legalization hearing tomorrow in California!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It just seems like you're reaching that's all. The tobacco/marijuana comparison works much better because of a number of similarities of the substances; both are weeds, both are smoked, tobacco, like marijuana was once illegal....
    How am I reaching? The comparison I used was only to prove my point that both issues are similar in how the arguments from the opposition are structured because they are about people blaming inanimate objects rather than the people who abuse these things. And yet again you are being obtuse. My comparison had nothing to do with them as substances. Of course marijuana is in no way comparable to a gun as an object or substance.

    The only reason you are even going for this lung disease bs is because your previous arguments failed. If you really cared about the marijuana causing lung disease you would have brought it up a long time ago.
    Last edited by Dr_Patrick; 10-29-09 at 04:09 PM.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •