Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 110

Thread: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

  1. #81
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,487

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    every adult should be able to marry the adult of their choice..
    Are they being stopped, arrested, or prosecuted in any way for declaring their lifelong committment to their significant whatever in front of their friends and family?
    Thank you

  2. #82
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Are they being stopped, arrested, or prosecuted in any way for declaring their lifelong committment to their significant whatever in front of their friends and family?
    Not exactly the same thing is it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #83
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,487

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not exactly the same thing is it?
    Was that a yes or a no?

    If there is a yes then there is a problem and it needs to be addressed.

    If no then its not about marriage at all is it? Its about ganking more money out of a goverment that does nothing....creates nothing...has no inherent value..they have to TAKE money in order to give it to other people. I am against stealing in general and on principle.
    Last edited by akyron; 10-29-09 at 10:36 PM.
    Thank you

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Was that a yes or a no?

    If there is a yes then there is a problem and it needs to be addressed.

    If no then its not about marriage at all is it? Its about ganking more money out of a goverment that does nothing....creates nothing...has no inherent value..they have to TAKE money in order to give it to other people. I am against stealing in general and on principle.
    And what do you think married couples do now? So I guess you are against marriage then right? Because married couples now take from the government as well.

  5. #85
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    This is what I think about the upcoming Maine vote. I think most people, when asked, will say they support gay marriage. What's not to support? But I think, as with California, when people get into a booth anonymously, they will vote how they really feel. This is one of those issues where people will say one thing but believe another. I think it will be a good gauge on just how liberal Maine really is.

    Me? I support GM. I just don't see the issue. However, if I did not support it, I know I would have a ton of labels thrown at me. I don't like the idea of influencing opinion by intimidation, and that's what I see in this debate (not in this thread). Understand though that geographically, I'm not going to run into a bunch of skinheads and Bible belters, so I'm not seeing the other side of the intimidation issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  6. #86
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    CA proves Jefferson was right democracy is simply mob rule. it is a civil right issue and is about equality.
    of course it's about equality.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Bend over, I'm driving. j/k

    On a serious note, there's no getting around the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. Gay marriage is not only fine, it should be recognized as the law. For my conservative friends out there you should realize that there are a significant number of gay conservatives who would join you in a second if this issue were eliminated.
    Last edited by Albert Di Salvo; 10-30-09 at 02:38 PM.

  8. #88
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,571
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    of course it's about equality.
    No it isn't about equality. You can't have more equality than 100% equality and currently the marriage laws in all 50 states are applied 100% equally across the board regardless of race, ethnicity, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, political party, or socioeconomic circumstances.

    That a law does not include every provision that we would like to have included is irrelevent. A 15-year-old may be a much better driver and more responsible than a 30-year-old, but when the law says that you must be 16 to receive a driver's license, the other facts are irrelevent.

    Many 16 and 17 year olds are more mature and more ready for marriage than many 30 year olds too, but when the law says that you must be 18 or get parental consent to marry, it might seem unfair or even unreasonable, but it is not a matter of equality when the law is applied equally to everybody.

    There is no right to drive at age 15, no right to marry before age 18, and no right to marry anybody you want or anybody you love. The law restricts your right to marry only if you are unmarried and of legal age, the other person is unmarried and of legal age, there is no close blood relationship, and the other person is of the opposite gender and consents to the marriage. There is no requirement for any kind of religious affiliation or ceremony--that is an extra layer added by some religions or personal preferences. There is no requirement that you be able to afford to get married or that you even like each other, much less love each other.

    It would be great if each and every one of us could tailor whatever laws to fit what would best suit us, but that is not feasible and still have a workable social contract in a democratic republic.

    The issue is about changing the definition of marriage to something different than it is. Those who believe traditional marriage is worth preserving and defending oppose changing that definition. But even as they oppose changing the current defintiion, most would support a new institution to accommodate all, straight and gay, who for whatever reason do not wish to marry or cannot marry but want to form themselves into legally recognized family groups.

    I wish the debate was focused there.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #89
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The issue is about changing the definition of marriage to something different than it is. Those who believe traditional marriage is worth preserving and defending oppose changing that definition.
    Who originally defined marriage?

    Marriage goes all the way back to 2000BC. Christians were not the first to define marriage, and the first marriage was a union between two people in any close relationship (regardless of gender). Christianity just has one offshoot of marriage. Many definitions of marriage (including those older than Christianity) include(d) Gay Marriage, Polygamy (which was actually a large part of marriage in early Christianity till the medieval period), etc.

    The whole notion of a definition for marriage is bogus. It has been defined many times, by many societies, and today holds different meanings in different parts of the world.
    Last edited by ScottD; 10-30-09 at 05:32 PM.

  10. #90
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    No it isn't about equality. You can't have more equality than 100% equality and currently the marriage laws in all 50 states are applied 100% equally across the board regardless of race, ethnicity, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, political party, or socioeconomic circumstances.

    That a law does not include every provision that we would like to have included is irrelevent. A 15-year-old may be a much better driver and more responsible than a 30-year-old, but when the law says that you must be 16 to receive a driver's license, the other facts are irrelevent.

    Many 16 and 17 year olds are more mature and more ready for marriage than many 30 year olds too, but when the law says that you must be 18 or get parental consent to marry, it might seem unfair or even unreasonable, but it is not a matter of equality when the law is applied equally to everybody.

    There is no right to drive at age 15, no right to marry before age 18, and no right to marry anybody you want or anybody you love. The law restricts your right to marry only if you are unmarried and of legal age, the other person is unmarried and of legal age, there is no close blood relationship, and the other person is of the opposite gender and consents to the marriage. There is no requirement for any kind of religious affiliation or ceremony--that is an extra layer added by some religions or personal preferences. There is no requirement that you be able to afford to get married or that you even like each other, much less love each other.

    It would be great if each and every one of us could tailor whatever laws to fit what would best suit us, but that is not feasible and still have a workable social contract in a democratic republic.

    The issue is about changing the definition of marriage to something different than it is. Those who believe traditional marriage is worth preserving and defending oppose changing that definition. But even as they oppose changing the current defintiion, most would support a new institution to accommodate all, straight and gay, who for whatever reason do not wish to marry or cannot marry but want to form themselves into legally recognized family groups.

    I wish the debate was focused there.
    my take is that any marriage outside of a church is nothing more than a civil union into which consenting adults enter. there is nothing sacred about a courthouse wedding. we don't NEED a new institition, we already have one that works just fine. marriage between a man and a woman is in no way threatened by marriage between people of the same sex.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •