Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110

Thread: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    To Jallman:

    Again it was unfortunate that the extremists were allowed to frame the debate. I think reasonable people have to not allow the extremists on any side of any debate determine what side we will come down on. But I like to keep things precise too. It's what keeps me active on these discussion boards.
    You're a good lady, Alb. I wish you were around more often.

  2. #52
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Homosexuals can marry anyone of the opposite sex just like everyone else.

    Equality achieved.
    So are you against inter-racial marriage? Because even if inter-racial marriage were banned everyone would still have the same rights to marry people of the same race.

    Jerry, your logic is flawed. This is a civil rights issue.

  3. #53
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post

    It does change the definition if anybody other than a man and woman marry because until recently the definition of marriage was regarded as one man and one woman in all 50 states.

    That's not changing the definition, AlbqOwl, that's eliminating inequality and discrimination. Just as striking down miscegenation laws didn't re-define marriage, neither will allowing same-sex couples to marry re-define marriage. Nothing in the basic structure is changed, only discrimination is removed.

  4. #54
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Let's say i do....




    Poligamy ftw

    But I think your "non-related" comment is fairly bigoted, as 1: familial relation is a protected class while sexual orientation is not, and 2: people with other inheritable genetic diseases are allowed to marry, so there's no reason not to allow incest.
    polygamy is a different story, as is incest. but you know that, right?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #55
    Student submarinepainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-09-10 @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    186

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    I'm a pragmatic, goal-oriented person. As such, if I don't see how gay-marriage helps accomplish the goal of reducing the divorce/juvenile-crime/teen-pregnancy rates, then I'll see it as a distraction and I'm more likely to treat gay-marriage with hostility.

    "Gays will also have a 50% divorce rate" is not a compelling argument when we don't want a 50% divorce rate to begin with. In this way gay-marriage is seen as making the problem worse by legitimizing divorce.
    I do not see why we would compare or expect gay marriage to reduce juvenile crime or teen pregnancy rates , also with out legal marriages how can we know what the divorce rate will be? I guess I just think it is right because I believe a person can not help who they love and they should be allowed to marry that person if they so choose .

  6. #56
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    It's funny one old vet gets up and says gay marriage is OK and the libs go crazy. How many vets say different, and why don't you hold them up?

    This is silly is all I am saying. The face of gay marriage, yea and I am the face of save the whales because I am a vet.

    PS I do support gay marraige as a states issue. I don't agree with it morally, but as a secular institution the current policy is unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    So are you against inter-racial marriage?
    Not realy, no. Why do you ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Because even if inter-racial marriage were banned everyone would still have the same rights to marry people of the same race.
    Loving had no issue with that until racial purity was brought in.

    There is no sexual equivalent to racial purity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Jerry, your logic is flawed. This is a civil rights issue.
    If my logic were flawed you would have found a problem. Instead, you fond only that you didn't understand, which is perfectly fine.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by submarinepainter View Post
    I do not see why we would compare or expect gay marriage to reduce juvenile crime or teen pregnancy rates,
    If it's not going to help the problem, it's a distraction, and treated with hostility.

    Quote Originally Posted by submarinepainter View Post
    also with out legal marriages how can we know what the divorce rate will be?
    You could drive examples using countries or states who have legalized gay-marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by submarinepainter View Post
    I guess I just think it is right because I believe a person can not help who they love and they should be allowed to marry that person if they so choose.
    Oh I didn't realize you supported incest. Your point of view makes sense to me now.

  9. #59
    Student submarinepainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-09-10 @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    186

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh I didn't realize you supported incest. Your point of view makes sense to me now.
    oh knock it off !! I will not support incest in anyway as I am willing to bet that most gays would not, I am talking about adults (that are not related) having a free choice , this doesn't not include animals , children or relations oh and space aliens!!

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Face of Gay Marriage? Video clip from Maine newscast

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If it's not going to help the problem, it's a distraction, and treated with hostility.
    Wait...you don't see the hostility it's treated with as a distraction in and of itself.

    How about if the anti-gm side did something constructive with their money and energy like charity work and social activism to fight real social problems instead of attacking something that doesn't affect them to start with?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •