Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 151

Thread: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

  1. #61
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I don't think you will ever acknowledge the approach as good or bad Obama takes to the Afghanistan situation even if he nukes the place or turns the nation into ally. The only thing you are worried about is the fact Obama is a Democrat and I suspect you would be secretly happy if more troops parished under his tenure at the very least you would use it for political gain not the gain of the troops or the USA.
    You're wrong. If PBO makes a good decision, then I'll give credit where credit is due. I gave PBO his props in the past for continueing his drone attacks on hostile targets in Pakistan. So far, however, PBO hasn't made a decision and that is what I'm critical of. He needs to listen to his theater commander, that he promoted and make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #62
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The decision has been made not to send additional troops to the ATO? When was that?
    No, you are not following. In fact, the decision to send 2 additional brigades was made shortly after Obama took office, and decisions on strategy have been made during his tenure. The operational orders that the military is acting under are a decision. What has not been done is a decision on an addition 40k troops, while the pentagon and White House decide if that is the best course of action. As I understand it, the troop increase would arrive in January time frame, so there is some time to debate before the decision is time critical.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're wrong. If PBO makes a good decision, then I'll give credit where credit is due. .
    But you have already stated good or bad you don't care what decision he makes.

  4. #64
    Student Helte/2Skelter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Last Seen
    06-02-10 @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    211

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, you can study the situation till the cows come home, but time is money in these matters. There comes a point where you have to make a decision. The situation on the ground can't wait for you to study the situation and devise the perfect plan.

    It's like this, if you make a decision, there's a chance that it won't be a good decision. If you don't make a decision, there's a 100% chance that a good decision will never be made.
    100% isn't quite true. There is some probability that changes could occur for the better on the ground while deciding, in which case waiting would have been a good decision.

    I just heard an interview with two generals (Newshour) of opposing views on Afghanistan strategy agree that a decision on Afghanistan strategy is not urgent. Neither expressed worry about Pres. Obama taking some time to make the decision.

  5. #65
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, you are not following. In fact, the decision to send 2 additional brigades was made shortly after Obama took office, and decisions on strategy have been made during his tenure. The operational orders that the military is acting under are a decision. What has not been done is a decision on an addition 40k troops, while the pentagon and White House decide if that is the best course of action. As I understand it, the troop increase would arrive in January time frame, so there is some time to debate before the decision is time critical.
    The facts are, the theater commander has requested additional troops. The president is dragging his ass making the decision to fill that request. The longer they wait to decide, the longer it will be before the troops will arrive in country. They can't decide in December to dploy 40,000 troops and expect to have them there by January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #66
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    But you have already stated good or bad you don't care what decision he makes.
    I don't think I ever said that. But, if I said that, or anything remotely close to it, then I certainly retract that statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #67
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Helte/2Skelter View Post
    100% isn't quite true. There is some probability that changes could occur for the better on the ground while deciding, in which case waiting would have been a good decision.
    Yeah, I guess crossing your fingers might work, but probably, not. On a battlefield, indecision usually doesn't improve the situation.

    I just heard an interview with two generals (Newshour) of opposing views on Afghanistan strategy agree that a decision on Afghanistan strategy is not urgent. Neither expressed worry about Pres. Obama taking some time to make the decision.
    They're not the theater commanders, either. So, their opinions are just that, opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think I ever said that. But, if I said that, or anything remotely close to it, then I certainly retract that statement.
    Okay cool it was the impression I got from what you had said. In the end good and bad decisions are going to be made. I hope they work out for the benefit of the world populace and we can curb this needless violence that is propagated.

  9. #69
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay cool it was the impression I got from what you had said. In the end good and bad decisions are going to be made. I hope they work out for the benefit of the world populace and we can curb this needless violence that is propagated.
    I agree with that sentiment. However, I just can't abide by indecision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #70
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The facts are, the theater commander has requested additional troops. The president is dragging his ass making the decision to fill that request. The longer they wait to decide, the longer it will be before the troops will arrive in country. They can't decide in December to dploy 40,000 troops and expect to have them there by January.
    It's not December, there is a window of opportunity to commit more troops, and there is a possibility that it is not wise to commit those troops, which is almost certainly what is being discussed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •