Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 151

Thread: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

  1. #121
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Not at all. Feel free to argue against his changes all you want, and do everything in your power to stop them if you don't agree with them. But let's not pretend like he's "rushing" health care. Obama campaigned on the issue and won, and this has been a major policy debate in the United States for 100 years. Whatever you think about the policies, they've hardly been rushed.
    Yeah, no thanks to him. He wanted it done months ago and declared the debate over. I think you're just ignoring that here, because you're just repeating yourself.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #122
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Wonderful. A) I wasn't talking to you
    1) Public message board
    2) Free speech

    B) I explained my point in the part which you conveniently snipped out of my response
    1) None of which changes the validity of my comment

    C) Do you really think that responding to my post with "Nuh-uh" makes you look smart?
    1) Do you really think that your ad hom negates the validity of my comment?

  3. #123
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah, no thanks to him. He wanted it done months ago and declared the debate over. I think you're just ignoring that here, because you're just repeating yourself.
    Even if it had been implemented months ago, that would not have meant it was "rushed." This debate has been going on for 100 years. And unlike Afghanistan or the economy, the state of health care is pretty predictable. There are simple, demographic trends for health care...not game-changing events on a daily basis that characterize those other two issues.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-09-09 at 01:13 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #124
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Even if it had been implemented months ago, that would not have meant it was "rushed." This debate has been going on for 100 years.
    Wow. That's just sad.
    Just plaiin sad.

  5. #125
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Even if it had been implemented months ago, that would not have meant it was "rushed."
    Right. A thousand-page bill that no one had legitimately examined being shoved through in a couple of weeks isn't "rushed."

    You're reaching here, man. Reaching.

    Besides, you're claiming that it's being duly considered now, as it ought to be. Can't have it both ways.


    This debate has been going on for 100 years. And unlike Afghanistan or the economy, the state of health care is pretty predictable. There are simple, demographic trends for health care...not game-changing events on a daily basis that characterize those other two issues.
    Then what was Obama's hurry? Especially to pass a bill which wouldn't even take effect for four years?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #126
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Right. A thousand-page bill that no one had legitimately examined being shoved through in a couple of weeks isn't "rushed."

    You're reaching here, man. Reaching.
    Obviously the bills were all legitimately examined, or there wouldn't have been any opposition or support from anyone other than the bills' sponsors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw
    Besides, you're claiming that it's being duly considered now, as it ought to be. Can't have it both ways.
    I am? The Senate is moving slowly because it's difficult to find a compromise that pleases 60 senators...not because they needed more time to examine the idea of universal health care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw
    Then what was Obama's hurry? Especially to pass a bill which wouldn't even take effect for four years?
    Presumably he wanted to pass it as soon as possible into his administration to maximize support.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-09-09 at 01:26 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #127
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Obviously the bills were all legitimately examined, or there wouldn't have been any opposition or support from anyone other than the bills' sponsors.
    That's ridiculous. Examining the bill and finding things to criticize and support is an ongoing process.

    You know this. Don't pretend otherwise.


    I am? The Senate is moving slowly because it's difficult to find a compromise that pleases 60 senators...not because they needed more time to examine the idea of universal health care.
    Here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Since then, there has been a healthy, ongoing debate among Democrats as to what kind of health care reform should be enacted. Republicans have mostly chosen to sit on the sidelines.
    A "healthy, ongoing debate" that if Obama had had his druthers wouldn't have happened.



    Presumably he wanted to pass it as soon as possible into his administration to maximize support.
    What does that even mean?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #128
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,022

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    The only reason why Obama isnt "rushing" health care anymore is because so many have opposed it for so long. Cant call a blitz a blitz if you get stopped at the wall.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #129
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's ridiculous. Examining the bill and finding things to criticize and support is an ongoing process.

    You know this. Don't pretend otherwise.
    Sure, it's an ongoing process. But what makes you think there wasn't enough time? There have been legislative proposals in the works since before Obama even took office. And at no point during Obama's term did either house of Congress suddenly unveil a complete, 1000-page bill and vote on it the next day. Lots of ideas have been floated, publicly debated, and then found their way into one of the many bills (or not).

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw
    A "healthy, ongoing debate" that if Obama had had his druthers wouldn't have happened.
    Obama wanted to pass a bill with his priorities in it. That does not change the fact that the bill needs 60 votes in the Senate. What's your point?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-09-09 at 02:21 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #130
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Obama to take weeks to study Afghanistan strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Sure, it's an ongoing process. But what makes you think there wasn't enough time? There have been legislative proposals in the works since before Obama even took office. And at no point during Obama's term did either house of Congress suddenly unveil a complete, 1000-page bill and vote on it the next day. Lots of ideas have been floated, publicly debated, and then found their way into one of the many bills (or not).

    Obama wanted to pass a bill with his priorities in it. That does not change the fact that the bill needs 60 votes in the Senate. What's your point?
    OK. At this point, you're simply avoiding the point. Carry on.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •