Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 78

Thread: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

  1. #51
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post

    I do not think it is a good thing that you can "see clear differences". Just means you took the bait.
    Equally if not more likely is that you took the bait. Or of course, it could just be we have differing views on issues. I find it interesting that you immediately assume the choice that is most negative towards others, but makes you feel better about yourself and your fringe element views.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    [...] So where is this history of election violence? [...]
    Everywhere, but I get tired of repeating myself, so I'll just quote a few things I wrote here in the past:

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    Voting is [...] like a toy steering wheel that a very young child might play with inside the car and keep himself occupied, pretending that he's driving. Adults should know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    Democracy is the most tyrannical form of government that can remain stable in a modern post-industrialized society. It is characterized by subtle yet highly effective use of brainwashing to allow passive control of the subjects, who are "kept on a long leash" and are allowed to keep a faction of the wealth they create for their own use. They are led to believe that the government exists in their interest, and the lowest common denominator of their opinions is pandered to in some trivial matters (i.e. election of figureheads).

    By effectively encouraging blind faith in the government system, democratic governments can get away much higher levels of infringement on individual rights than less manipulative forms of government. History is filled with examples of peasant uprisings against a tyrannical ruler, but in a democracy people's anger is manipulated and misdirected toward trivial rituals (i.e. voting). Since governments always have more influence on the public (i.e. public schooling) than the other way around, and because the system is rigged on other levels as well, there exists no real danger of those rituals ever challenging the entrenched ruling class of government bureaucrats and their allies.

    Democracy is the greatest threat that currently exists to the hope of eventual freedom for mankind, freedom of course being based on uninfringeable individual rights that can only exist in a pure free-market capitalist society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    A product purchase is optional, but a politician is forced on you whether you want one or not.

    A product can be selected from millions of choices, but with politicians it's usually down to 2 guys who have a chance and a handful more [that] don't.

    A product can be replaced at any time, not every X years, and you can even get your money back if you return it within 30 days.

    A product is there when you need it, for as long as you need it, but your politician will most likely just send you a form letter if you write him, and then add you to his fund-raising mailing list.

    A product that is on the market can be scientifically tested by neutral consumer interest agencies and their results published on the Internet. All you get from politicians are 30 second soundbites, and they can change their mind at any time.

    A product's price is known beforehand, but you never know when a politician will raise your taxes, legislate away your rights, or draft your children to war.

    With a product purchase you get what you vote for - every single time. [...]
    Last edited by Alex Libman; 09-26-09 at 05:34 PM.

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    Everywhere, but I get tired of repeating myself, so I'll just quote a few things I wrote here in the past:
    Nothing evidence of violence there. Do please try and keep up with the conversation. Randomly quoting yourself on barely related topics does not answer a question of your facts.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Nothing evidence of violence there. Do please try and keep up with the conversation. Randomly quoting yourself on barely related topics does not answer a question of your facts.
    Well, I've tried. When a religious fanatic refuses to think, there's nothing one can do...

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    Well, I've tried. When a religious fanatic refuses to think, there's nothing one can do...
    Ironically, this is exactly what is happening here, though with you and not Redress being the fanatic.

  6. #56
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,434

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Sure it is. When 51% can vote in an extremist president to ramrod the other 49% into their agenda that is the very definition of mainstream.
    Thank you

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Sure it is. When 51% can vote in an extremist president to ramrod the other 49% into their agenda that is the very definition of mainstream.
    Erm, if 51% voted for it, it is by definition not extremist....

  8. #58
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Equally if not more likely is that you took the bait. Or of course, it could just be we have differing views on issues. I find it interesting that you immediately assume the choice that is most negative towards others, but makes you feel better about yourself and your fringe element views.
    Your attempt at psychoanalysis, while being cute, is entirely incorrect. The reason I support the Libertarian party is because I feel they should be given a legitimate chance to hold office and enact their policies. I do not think that Democrat or Republican ideas are wrong, I have just seen them fail on more than one occasion and think it is time to try something new.

    Should Libertarianism/Minarchism be given a fair shot, and fail, I would be quick to reassess my political views and attempt to support the next party I feel will better our country. I simply grow tired of watching both Republicans and Democrats continue to increase government spending and piss on the Constitution.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Your attempt at psychoanalysis, while being cute, is entirely incorrect. The reason I support the Libertarian party is because I feel they should be given a legitimate chance to hold office and enact their policies. I do not think that Democrat or Republican ideas are wrong, I have just seen them fail on more than one occasion and think it is time to try something new.

    Should Libertarianism/Minarchism be given a fair shot, and fail, I would be quick to reassess my political views and attempt to support the next party I feel will better our country. I simply grow tired of watching both Republicans and Democrats continue to increase government spending and piss on the Constitution.
    What about the Greens? Or the Socialists? Or the Constitutionalists? Should they all not be given their chance? If we are going to give one bunch of fringe element lunatics their chance to ruin the country, you should give them all.

    Further, saying we should let the fringe run the country, since the other parties are not perfect is some what silly. No one claims that either the democrats or republicans are perfect. I am a democrat and I bitch about my party frequently(far more than you do about yours in fact, but it is I who have "taken the bait"). No party will be perfect, what is the question is what party will best represent the desires of the people, and I guarantee you that is not the libertarians or any other wingnut fringe element party.

  10. #60
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is Extremism Becoming Mainstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What about the Greens? Or the Socialists? Or the Constitutionalists? Should they all not be given their chance? If we are going to give one bunch of fringe element lunatics their chance to ruin the country, you should give them all.
    I'm fine with that. The "shot" I was referring to was a chance in the nationally televised debates. This would educate the general populace on the views and beliefs of third parties.

    Further, saying we should let the fringe run the country, since the other parties are not perfect is some what silly. No one claims that either the democrats or republicans are perfect. I am a democrat and I bitch about my party frequently(far more than you do about yours in fact, but it is I who have "taken the bait").No party will be perfect, what is the question is what party will best represent the desires of the people, and I guarantee you that is not the libertarians or any other wingnut fringe element party.
    You misunderstand. I only want the Libertarian party to run the country if they are elected to do so. I wish that the hindrances and obstacles put in the paths of third parties would be removed.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •