Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    The term is murdering and you don't know he was actually abusive.
    Definition of killing :

    killing - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

    She would be in fact talking about killing her husband.

    We don't know if she was joking around either or if it was an off-color joke taken out of context. Somebody talking about killing their spouse being in any way representative of how they do their job which is what the OP and some of our less logic-reliant members seem to be inferring is ridiculous.

    In British law at least you would still at least get manslaughter for a pre-meditative killing of an abusive partner, presumably the US is just the same.
    Great. What does a person killing their spouse have to do with ACORN and voting? Nothing? Good to know.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Definition of killing :

    killing - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

    She would be in fact talking about killing her husband.

    We don't know if she was joking around either or if it was an off-color joke taken out of context. Somebody talking about killing their spouse being in any way is representative of how they do their job which is what the OP and some of our less logic-reliant members seem to be inferring is ridiculous.
    Murdering is killing but we generally call the pre-meditated, extra-judicial killing of someone a murder in same way we generally don't refer to two pieces of bread with a filling in between them as generally food but a sandwich.


    Great. What does a person killing their spouse have to do with ACORN and voting? Nothing? Good to know.
    Depends. I'd say on its own not much but then again most sides in politics like to score little points off things like this.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Murdering is killing
    All I needed to know. Thanks for making an issue out of wording and making yourself seem petty. Any other words you'd like to divide by zero?

    Depends.
    Nothing. And you know this. If I killed my wife tomorrow it'd have NOTHING to do with how I do my job and whether or not I follow procedures while doing it.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    All I needed to know. Thanks for making an issue out of wording and making yourself seem petty.
    Not petty, I just draw an attitude of equivocation from your post. Perhaps I was wrong.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  5. #15
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Not petty, I just draw an attitude of equivocation from your post. Perhaps I was wrong.
    Do you know what equivocation means? You admitted that murder is killing. There is zero ambiguity in my words. So there was no equivocation on my part. This lady was talking about killing her husband. And pretty much everybody who speaks English except for miikey and yourself would be stupid to try and bitch about wording. You are wrong.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 09-16-09 at 12:06 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    YouTube - ACORN San Bernadino Child Prostitution Investigation Part I
    __________________________________________________ ________

    Here ya go if you want to know . . .

  7. #17
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you know what equivocation means? You admitted that murder is killing. There is zero ambiguity in my words. So there was no equivocation on my part. This lady was talking about killing her husband. And pretty much everybody who speaks English except for miikey and yourself would be stupid to try and bitch about wording. You are wrong.
    I drew the attitude from your words of some kind of argument that it wasn't so bad. The use of the word killing and the sarcastic use of words stop the presses seemed to me to suggest it wasn't so outrageous. Perhaps I was incorrect in my reading.

    But yes words can very much matter in areas like this the difference between the words killed, murdered and executed is immense.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,590

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Definition of killing :

    killing - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

    She would be in fact talking about killing her husband.

    We don't know if she was joking around either or if it was an off-color joke taken out of context. Somebody talking about killing their spouse being in any way representative of how they do their job which is what the OP and some of our less logic-reliant members seem to be inferring is ridiculous.



    Great. What does a person killing their spouse have to do with ACORN and voting? Nothing? Good to know.
    I'm sure she'll be getting a visit from the cops, so she can explain the, "joke", to them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I drew the attitude from your words of some kind of argument that it wasn't so bad.
    You're a regular Miss Cleo.

    The use of the word killing and the sarcastic use of words stop the presses seemed to me to suggest it wasn't so outrageous.
    A woman saying she wants to kill her husband because he beats her isn't outrageous. Maybe in Wessex. In America? Not so much. What to me is outrageous is the false link some members make between what ACORN is and what this woman wanting to kill her husband has to do with ACORn. There isn't any relation. It's an attempt to relate something that would to most people seem like a personal problem(abusive spouses, people talking about killing their spouses etc) and what ACORN does. So please! Hold the presses whenever anybody who has an abusive spouse ANYWHERE says they want to kill their spouse!

    Perhaps I was incorrect in my reading.
    You were.

    But yes words can very much matter in areas like this the difference between the words killed, murdered and executed is immense.
    Let me give you an example of how stupid your 'difference' sounds :

    My cat was killed by a dog.

    My cat was murdered by a dog.

    Do you see a difference yet? I don't. But if you want to be petty :

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman
    Murdering is killing
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #20
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: OMG! Beck Today 9-16

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    A woman saying she wants to kill her husband because he beats her isn't outrageous. Maybe in Wessex.
    You're still not quite saying it outright but you do seem to equivocating the pre-meditated murder of abusive spouses. Again you could read it differently and I could be incorrect but my reading seems even stronger this time. Do you think that those who do this should be charged with murder? Do you think that if they are found guilty of something like murder or manslaughter that they should get only a very light sentence? This is what I was talking about. They are still murderers and even if some compassion is shown they should still be found guilty of murder and go away not for life but for at least 8 years or so, imho. They should not get a very light treatment, a partner being abusive does not excuse or nearly excuse pre-meditated murder.




    Let me give you an example of how stupid your 'difference' sounds :

    My cat was killed by a dog.

    My cat was murdered by a dog.

    Do you see a difference yet? I don't. But if you want to be petty :
    Well the context matters a lot. My wife was murdered by the state, my wife was killed by the state and my wife was executed by the state could have very different meanings. Killing is somewhat neutral, I don't think neutrality is right for the pre-meditated murder of a spouse. But I was more interested in your general attitude than the word.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •