Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69

Thread: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public heal

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    In other news, the majority of cookie monsters support free cookies.


    Me want cookie!

    Me eat cookie!

    Awwwwn Nom nom nom

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Yeah, because dealing with insurance companies is such a piece of cake.

    Do you know that 30-40% of your current insured healthcare cost is administrative???
    That's not true. I defy you to substantiate that claim.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Both private sector insurance companies and government medicaid / medicare bureaucracies add paperwork. The difference is that the private solutions, in a truly free market, are optional - doctors and patients individually decide whether to deal with them or not. This leads to competition to streamline the information flow processes. The government, on the other hand, has no incentive to be efficient - what are you gonna do, cancel your citizenship and switch to a different government by making one phone call?
    Last edited by Alex Libman; 09-17-09 at 02:43 AM.

  4. #24
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    That IDB / TIPP is a disgrace of a poll.


    It is a poll.
    Not a disgrace of a poll, but a poll.
    A poll of working doctors.
    A poll whose respondents had to take the initiative to answer with their own opinion.
    A poll that shows what is already known, that what the liberals propose isn't wholly supported.



    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    In no way should you take it seriously, nor put any reliance on the 'results'. Reasons why not are enumerated well in the following article, I'll only c/p the conclusion here:
    Let's see.
    You want me to dismiss this poll based on the opinion of Nate Silver who states;

    I vote for Democratic candidates the majority of the time (though by no means always). This year, I have been a supporter of Barack Obama.
    Sorry but that ain't gonna happen.
    Nor are the reasons he sites for dismissal enough to ignore the (respondents answers) results.
    Last edited by Coolguy; 09-17-09 at 02:58 AM.

  5. #25
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Yeah, because dealing with insurance companies is such a piece of cake.

    Do you know that 30-40% of your current insured healthcare cost is administrative???
    That is what bureaucracy is like. Something tells me a federal-based, public option would not cut bureaucracy by much. In fact Parkinson's law would tend to suggest that in the long term the opposite would be true.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #26
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    That IDB / TIPP is a disgrace of a poll. In no way should you take it seriously, nor put any reliance on the 'results'. Reasons why not are enumerated well in the following article, I'll only c/p the conclusion here:
    Most of his objections can be explained away by the fact that Silver is a partisan hack, but I'll humor you nonetheless.

    Here's his #1 reason (and only real substantive complaint) for why the IDP/TIPP poll can't be trusted:

    1. The survey was conducted by mail, which is unusual. The only other mail-based poll that I'm aware of is that conducted by the Columbus Dispatch, which was associated with an average error of about 7 percentage points -- the highest of any pollster that we tested.
    Sounds shady, right?

    Here's how your poll from the OP was conducted:

    The mailed survey was sent in three waves. The first wave included a cover letter, the survey, a stamped return envelope, and a $2 bill. Subsequent waves did not include an incentive. After each wave, physicians were called and asked to complete the survey and they were also offered the option of returning the survey by fax or email. Fielding of the first survey wave began on June 25th 2009 and all available data was analyzed on September 4th, 2009.
    So which is it? If mailed surveys are really that unreliable, then your poll is equally worthless. If they're actually reliable, then you must agree that Silver is simply lying to dismiss poll results that he doesn't like and that the IDB poll is as worthwhile as yours.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I understood what you meant, but dispute your premise. Most practices cost-shift to private insurance. Looking at the prospect of possibly lower re-imbursements, they are not looking at massive revenue increases.

    For most successful practices, likely the opposite. Most docs are already overbooked, utilizing PAs and RNs and popping in for only the 'meat' of appts. They are not sitting on excess, underutilized capacity in terms of patient appt scheduling.
    And most of those incredibly overbooked and wildly successful practices don't take Medicare anyways, so I doubt this will really affect them either way. Regardless, for those doctors who do accept Medicare, this will result in an increase in demand. That simple.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I bet they hope it covers illegal aliens as well. That way they can actually get paid for their work.
    Yeah because then all 8 immigrants who got snuck onto medicaid would be able to pay their doctors

  8. #28
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Given how much I hear doctors complaining about what a pain dealing with Medicare is, I find the conclusions of this "study" highly dubious.
    Actually Goshin, many insurance plans follow the same guidelines that Medicare does. If they deal with any of the big plans they're dealing with the same rules that Medicare demands.



    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That's not true. I defy you to substantiate that claim.


    http://www.pnhp.org/publications/nejmadmin.pdf


    In 1999, health administration costs totaled at least $294.3 billion in the United States, or $1,059 per capita, as compared with $307 per capita in Canada. After exclusions, administration accounted for 31.0 percent of health care expenditures in the United States and 16.7 percent of health care expenditures in Canada. Canada’s national health insurance program had overhead of 1.3 percent; the overhead among Canada’s private insurers was higher than that in the United States (13.2 percent vs. 11.7 percent). Providers’ administrative costs were far lower in Canada.

    Between 1969 and 1999, the share of the U.S. health care labor force accounted for by administrative workers grew from 18.2 percent to 27.3 percent. In Canada, it grew from 16.0 percent in 1971 to 19.1
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  10. #30
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: A new study finds that a majority of physicians support the creation of a public

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Most of his objections can be explained away by the fact that Silver is a partisan hack, but I'll humor you nonetheless.

    Far from it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •