Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    The woman whose life inspired the 1979 film Norma Rae has died of cancer after struggling with her health insurance company, which had delayed her treatment.
    Insurance company death panel strikes again. It is notable that insurance company death panels routinely sentence people to death each and every day. It is also notable that, under either the Democratic or Republican health plans in Congress, this would be a criminal act. If the Republicans get what they want, that is, no Obama Care, Liberals should still be happy that insurance company death panels would be illegal. Liberals and Conservatives can argue all they want about the rest, but don't you think this would be a decent first step? IMHO, this provision, under the plans from BOTH sides, would be the American thing to do. Whatever we argue about on the rest of either plan, this provision needs to be passed NOW.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    How unfortunate. I could not imagine what it would be like fighting insurance companies for my right to coverage. I am blessed to be living in a country where there's no question to treatment.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Insurance company death panel strikes again. [...]
    If you can only afford a Kia subcompact and not a Porsche, were you a victim of the "car dealership slow acceleration panel"?


    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    [...] I could not imagine what it would be like fighting insurance companies for my right to coverage. [...]
    You do not have the right to steal from others, no matter how badly you may want it.
    Last edited by Alex Libman; 09-13-09 at 07:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    If you can only afford a Kia subcompact and not a Porsche, were you a victim of the "car dealership slow acceleration panel"?




    You do not have the right to steal from others, no matter how badly you may want it.
    If that Kia was originally misrepresented as a Porsche, then hell yes.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    How unfortunate. I could not imagine what it would be like fighting insurance companies for my right to coverage. I am blessed to be living in a country where there's no question to treatment.
    Yes there is all the time one of the many reason many Canuks come to America for health Treatment.

  6. #6
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Remember Katrina? The insurance companies hire professionals to look for any reason they can find to disqualify a claim. Lots of Katrina victims got shafted by the insurance companies.

    Insurance companies are not in business to help people. They are in business to make money.

    Moe

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If that Kia was originally misrepresented as a Porsche, then hell yes.
    Like all people involved with the "labor movement", Norma Rae has a reputation for being a very dishonest and violent person. Without knowing all the evidence, it is not unreasonable to assume that she tried to use her fame to extort money from the insurance company that she was not contractually entitled to.

    But if that insurance company has in fact violated their contract, then I stand corrected.


    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Insurance companies are not in business to help people. They are in business to make money.
    That elementary fact of life should be taught in kindergarten along with "2 + 2 == 4".
    Last edited by Alex Libman; 09-13-09 at 07:42 PM.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Remember Katrina? The insurance companies hire professionals to look for any reason they can find to disqualify a claim. Lots of Katrina victims got shafted by the insurance companies.

    Insurance companies are not in business to help people. They are in business to make money.

    Moe
    Probably not the best example, since real fraudulent claims where at an unreal high there. Does not invalidate your point, which I agree with, but some of the things that people did to take advantage of the situation down there was just incredible.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
    Like all people involved with the "labor movement", Norma Rae has a reputation for being a very dishonest and violent person. Without knowing all the evidence, it is not unreasonable to assume that she tried to use her fame to extort money from the insurance company that she was not contractually entitled to.

    But if that insurance company has in fact violated their contract, then I stand corrected.
    You do have some proof that Norma Rae was a dishonest and violent person correct.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-01-09 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    829

    Re: Real ‘Norma Rae’ dead of cancer after battle with health insurer

    Unions cannot have any effect without violence.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •