Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

  1. #1
    Professor Lita456's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Joisey
    Last Seen
    03-20-10 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,273

    Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    SALABERRY-DE-VALLEYFIELD, Quebec (Sept. 9) A Canadian man has been sentenced to life in prison for mowing down a woman in a wheelchair as he drove drunk. It was his 19th drunken driving conviction, the court said.
    The life sentence handed down by a Quebec judge was the first for a drunken driving conviction in Canada's history, according to Prosecutor Joey Davis.

    Roger Walsh, 57, had pleaded guilty to killing Anee Khudaverdian, who was out with her dog on her 47th birthday last year. She was propelled into a ditch after being struck.

    Walsh, who admitted he had spent the night drinking, kept driving and was arrested about six miles away after driving into a ditch himself.

    Quebec court judge Michel Mercier declared the man incorrigible and said he would be likely to commit further crimes.

    Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering, and theft were entered into evidence.

    Prosecutors also had wanted Walsh declared a "dangerous offender," but Mercier said the designation wasn't intended for drunken driving cases but was reserved for the worst criminals like murderers and serial rapists.
    Walsh's lawyer, Jacques Vinet, had proposed a 10-year sentence and noted that the life sentence was even longer than the prosecution had sought. Vinet said he would discuss with his client whether to appeal.

    Canadian Gets Life Sentence for Driving Drunk


    What I want to know is, why did it take 19 times?
    Justice for Caylee
    I am a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties AKA Pro Peesha Whispering Spotted Horn

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Lita456 View Post
    SALABERRY-DE-VALLEYFIELD, Quebec (Sept. 9) — A Canadian man has been sentenced to life in prison for mowing down a woman in a wheelchair as he drove drunk. It was his 19th drunken driving conviction, the court said.
    The life sentence handed down by a Quebec judge was the first for a drunken driving conviction in Canada's history, according to Prosecutor Joey Davis.

    Roger Walsh, 57, had pleaded guilty to killing Anee Khudaverdian, who was out with her dog on her 47th birthday last year. She was propelled into a ditch after being struck.

    Walsh, who admitted he had spent the night drinking, kept driving and was arrested about six miles away after driving into a ditch himself.

    Quebec court judge Michel Mercier declared the man incorrigible and said he would be likely to commit further crimes.

    Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering, and theft were entered into evidence.

    Prosecutors also had wanted Walsh declared a "dangerous offender," but Mercier said the designation wasn't intended for drunken driving cases but was reserved for the worst criminals like murderers and serial rapists.
    Walsh's lawyer, Jacques Vinet, had proposed a 10-year sentence and noted that the life sentence was even longer than the prosecution had sought. Vinet said he would discuss with his client whether to appeal.

    Canadian Gets Life Sentence for Driving Drunk


    What I want to know is, why did it take 19 times?
    Why wait until he has killed someone? And why wasn't he ordered into treatment a long time ago?
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 09-10-09 at 12:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Professor Lita456's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Joisey
    Last Seen
    03-20-10 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    Why wait until he has killed someone? And why wasn't he ordered into treatment a long time ago?

    Hey Wind!

    Yeah, I don't get it.....maybe he did treatment? This is a shame. This woman didn't have to die......
    Justice for Caylee
    I am a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties AKA Pro Peesha Whispering Spotted Horn

  4. #4
    Educator Shep Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-19-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    911

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Hi Lita, and Hi Wind,

    I for one am all in favor of really tough drunk driving laws. One and done is my belief. One DUI, and you lose your license......forever. Ability to own and register a car gone as well.
    Last edited by Shep Dawg; 09-10-09 at 01:31 PM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote Benjamin Franklin

    I'm a Tiki Bar Tarte, wanna gnaw on my bone

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    I'd like to know how he was still able to drive after all of those convictions. If he had a valid license, then certainly the DD laws in Canada need to change something fierce.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #6
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    absolutely disgusting

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  7. #7
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
    Hi Lita, and Hi Wind,

    I for one am all in favor of really tough drunk driving laws. One and done is my belief. One DUI, and you lose your license......forever. Ability to own and register a car gone as well.
    That's absolutely asinine.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #8
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    Why wait until he has killed someone? And why wasn't he ordered into treatment a long time ago?
    IA !!!



  9. #9
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
    I for one am all in favor of really tough drunk driving laws. One and done is my belief. One DUI, and you lose your license......forever. Ability to own and register a car gone as well.
    People screw up. Having known many people including friends who have had DUIs, tough penalties work but don't get carried away. All in all, if you get a DUI in arizona its a required minimum 24 hours in jail, some months of suspended license, and then another some months of a restricted license, plus about $1000 in fines and fees. A second DUI can land you in jail for a month or longer plus a ignition interlock breathalyzer device on your vehicle. Everyone I know who has had a DUI isn't hasty in doing it again, but there are always idiots.

    If you kill someone because you are drunk you are just plain ****ed. Expect to spend at least a few years behind bars.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #10
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Canadian Gets Life for Driving Drunk

    I blame weed.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •