Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 403

Thread: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

  1. #311
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I'd say that, logically speaking, you've had your ass handed to you.

    Have you actually had any formal training in logic or are you just sorta winging it?
    Care to explain why -- from a logical perspective? I'd like to get in on record so (like Catz) people who actually understand logic can laugh and those who don't can't learn.

    I know it deviates from your standard posting style of sitting back and interjecting simple one liners, but I have faith in you!

  2. #312
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What I don't think Taylor realizes is that she has managed to get opposition to her idea from people who generally agree on very little if anything. When you get conservatives, liberals, and libertarians all saying you are wrong, it generally is pretty safe to say that you, at the very least, phrased yourself poorly.
    I don't think Redress realizes that I could care less what ideology people hold, when they're wrong they're wrong.

  3. #313
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Care to explain why -- from a logical perspective?
    Here ya go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Is this the liberals? I know that they don't like america as much as regular people.
    I'm going to differ slightly from my colleagues and call this a hasty generalization. Yes, there are liberals who don't like America as much as the average American. That does not mean that all liberals don't like America as much as the average American, or, save for some ability to quantify "like" and then measure it among people, that any such thing could be proven even if it were true. Clear enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'd like to get in on record so (like Catz) people who actually understand logic can laugh and those who don't can't learn.
    Whatever that means ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I know it deviates from your standard posting style of sitting back and interjecting simple one liners, but I have faith in you!
    Remember what I said about not going down that road? I wasn't kidding.

  4. #314
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I don't think Redress realizes that I could care less what ideology people hold, when they're wrong they're wrong.
    And yet you have, in your first few posts in this thread, attacked peoples ideology. Your very first post was an inaccurate attack on liberals. Further, you miss the point, which is that when people who normally don't agree on something, actually do agree, it might suggest that it is time to reassess what you have said. Rather than just assume you are right because you are the one who said it, it might be best to re-evaluate.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I think pretty much everyone here except for you and Crunch agrees with Catz interpretation.
    Crunch hasn't said anything. There are currently four people (inc catz) who are equally confused concerning logical fallacies:
    1) Catz
    2) Dr Patrick
    ------------->Coronado (does not subscribe to Catz' reasoning)
    3) Marduc

    Now shall we rehash?

    Here's the statement:
    "Is this the liberals? I know that they don't like america as much as regular people."

    Here's where Catz tries her best at creating a syllogism:
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Because you've presented the argument as follows:

    1. Some liberals hate America.
    2. All conservatives love America.
    3. Liberals don't love America as much as conservatives.

    You went wrong at points 2 and 3. You've inappropriately generalized from an underrepresentative sample and stated something as fact when it isn't. We all recognize this, and you may too, at some point, when you've gotten a little more education under your belt.
    Catz fails at step one, and can't even get the basic premises right!
    Here's Catz's logic:
    1. Liberals don't like America as much as normal people
    therefore:
    2. Some liberals hate America

    1. Liberals don't like America as much as normal people
    therefore:
    2. All conservatives love america

    The only people embarrasing themselves are the four listed above and anyone else wanting to jump on this sinking bandwagon. What scares me most is what she would have come up with prior to "honing" her understanding of logic in Mr. Flanagan's class in high school, the 2 logic classes in college, not to mention the argumentation, rhetoric, and 7 years of debate (high school and college).

    Catz fails to realize that my statement isn't even an argument, but tries to decompose it into a syllogism... priceless!

    Scary, folks.
    Last edited by Taylor; 09-01-09 at 05:18 PM.

  6. #316
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Care to explain why -- from a logical perspective?
    I can handle this quite easily actually. Let's look at what you said to start all this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Is this the liberals? I know that they don't like america as much as regular people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Why is my statement wrong? It's liberals who snivel at people who are outwardly patriotic. And it's liberals that are always obsessed with changing the country -- i.e. it's not good the way it is. It's liberals that are embarrassed about our country and apologize for it.

    I have no doubt that if I were to submit a "how much do you love your country" survey (say scale 1 to 10)... liberals would score lower.
    Now let's look at those statements. You attempted to make a broad, sweeping statement about a group of people(we love our country less as a group) with three statements. The first is laughable, since very few liberals "snivel at people who are patriotic". In point of fact, based on my observations from being a liberal, we mostly condemn those who do this. You are trying to use the acts of a few to smear a whole group.

    Your second argument is even more laughable. Both ends of the political spectrum, and in fact those in the middle, think there are things that this country can do better. The desire to make the country as best it can be is, to my way of thinking, a great example of actually loving your country. I do not think there is anything greater we can do for our country.

    Your last argument is pretty weak as well. Admitting that our country has made mistakes is not disliking our country. When we make a mistake, we should admit to the mistake, and apologize for it. To not do so is a sign of weakness to my mind.

    So, all three of your arguments as to why us liberals love the country less than "regular people" are weak at best.

  7. #317
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Crunch hasn't said anything. There are currently four people (inc catz) who are equally confused concerning logical fallacies:
    1) Catz
    2) Dr Patrick
    3) Coronado
    4) Marduc
    Ignorance must be bliss, especially considering how tenaciously you hang on to it.

    Dismissed.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The only people embarrasing themselves are the four listed above
    Wow. You're totally not worth the effort. By the way, have you visited the Basement yet?

  9. #319
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Here ya go:I'm going to differ slightly from my colleagues and call this a hasty generalization.
    Smart move. I'll have to remove your name from the Catz school of flawed logical arguments, above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Yes, there are liberals who don't like America as much as the average American. That does not mean that all liberals don't like America as much as the average American,
    The exact point I made early in this debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    or, save for some ability to quantify "like" and then measure it among people, that any such thing could be proven even if it were true. Clear enough?Whatever that means ...
    As was previously discussed, it can't be "proven." The theory of gravity can't be "proven". The point of DEBATE is to weigh the evidence (tons of it in the case of the theory of gravity), compare competing theories, and arrive at a conclusion(s).

  10. #320
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Ignorance must be bliss, especially considering how tenaciously you hang on to it.

    Dismissed.
    I removed your name based on the explanation you provided.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •