Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 403

Thread: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

  1. #291
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Any other takers for the Catz interpretation of this fallacy???
    I think pretty much everyone here except for you and Crunch agrees with Catz interpretation. I know you don't want to admit that you are wrong which is most likely why you've spent the entire thread trying to dig yourself out and eventually resorted to childish comebacks.

  2. #292
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    And to think this all could have been avoided if you had been more articulate in your post.

    Why not just admit that you weren't articulate enough and didn't make it clear enough that you were stating an opinion? Then we could move on and continue discussing the topic at hand rather than getting philosophical about the nature of opinion vs. theory vs. fact.
    Oh come now, this is like the most popular thread on here!

    You'll have to speak to Captain Courageous about the difference between opinions and facts, he's made some exciting breakthroughs and must be in the process of preparing a manuscript for peer review as we speak.

    Can I assume that in responding to my thread, but not supporting Catz, that you take the position that (although you think there are many things wrong with my initial post), a "fallacy of composition" ain't one of 'em. Do I have that right?

  3. #293
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I think pretty much everyone here except for you and Crunch agrees with Catz interpretation. I know you don't want to admit that you are wrong which is most likely why you've spent the entire thread trying to dig yourself out and eventually resorted to childish comebacks.
    Oh really! Sounds like you need to attend remedial logic training classes with Catz. How precisely does my post qualify as a fallacy of composition?
    Last edited by Taylor; 09-01-09 at 12:07 PM.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Oh really! Sounds like you all need to go to remedial logic training. How precisely does my post qualify as a fallacy of composition.
    Because you've presented the argument as follows:

    1. Some liberals hate America.
    2. All conservatives love America.
    3. Liberals don't love America as much as conservatives.

    You went wrong at points 2 and 3. You've inappropriately generalized from an underrepresentative sample and stated something as fact when it isn't. We all recognize this, and you may too, at some point, when you've gotten a little more education under your belt.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 09-01-09 at 12:09 PM.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Coronado - you said you value logic. What say you on the fallacy of composition?

  6. #296
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Because you've presented the argument as follows:

    1. Some liberals hate America.
    2. All conservatives love America.
    3. Liberals don't love America as much as conservatives.

    You've inappropriately generalized and stated something as fact when it isn't. We all recognize this, and you may too, at some point, when you've gotten a little more education under your belt.
    WOW! You get all of that from this?

    "I know that they don't like america as much as regular people"

    I really don't expect people to come out and support a newbie on this board, but have faith that many are reading your interpretation and thinking to themselves, "lol"

    Wow, so now "liberals don't like america as much as regular people" means that:
    1)Some liberals hate america
    2)All conservatives love america

    And you say I have problems with logic!??!
    Oh! Priceless!

  7. #297
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Oh come now, this is like the most popular thread on here!
    Are you serious? You really need to venture to the other forums. 30 pages is nothing.

    You'll have to speak to Captain Courageous about the difference between opinions and facts, he's made some exciting breakthroughs and must be in the process of preparing a manuscript for peer review as we speak.
    Actually he's on point just as everyone else is. Though, if you want to continue living with the delusion that you are right and everyone is wrong, feel free to do so.

    Can I assume that in responding to my thread, but not supporting Catz, that you take the position that (although you think there are many things wrong with my initial post), a "fallacy of composition" ain't one of 'em. Do I have that right?
    I've actually made it quite clear how I felt about your initial post. It was inarticulate and made generalizations. Rather than admitting that you could have been more articulate you decided to try and talk your way out of it by making excuses and even trying to get into a philosophical discussion about opinions. The point is, you made generalizations and weren't clear that what you posted was an opinion. All of this could have been easily remedied long ago.

  8. #298
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Wow, so now "liberals don't like america as much as regular people"
    Just what exactly constitutes "regular people?"

  9. #299
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Coronado - you said you value logic. What say you on the fallacy of composition?
    I'd say that, logically speaking, you've had your ass handed to you.

    Have you actually had any formal training in logic or are you just sorta winging it?

  10. #300
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Just what exactly constitutes "regular people?"
    People who don't need Metamucil?

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •