Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 403

Thread: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

  1. #211
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Dear, you're nowhere near as clever as you believe yourself to be.
    My being absolutely adorable certainly makes up for it

  2. #212
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Please post where I claimed:
    1) I "know that they [liberals] don't like america as much as regular people."
    Good god, woman. I just gave you the freakin' link.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    2) I used a scientific apparatus to verifiably rank how much someone loves their country (or where I said such a thing exists or should exist, or could exist)
    If you "KNOW that they [liberals] don't like america as much as regular people," you must have used some sort of measuring device, correct? What device did you use in order to come to your assertion that liberals "don't like america as much as regular people."


  3. #213
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Theories are backed by empirical data, though not proven.
    That's right, theories aren't "fact" but "opinion" -- to use the jargon in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Throw your computer off of your roof and explain why it falls. You can diminish Gravity as a theory, but it's not equal to saying I think Bush invaded Iraq for sand. Most science lends itself to empirical data.
    I'm not trying to diminish theories. Quite the opposite. I'm trying to make sense of this "it's only an opinion" garbage that keeps getting tossed at me. As to your example above, both are "opinions," one just has a lot more credibility than the other because there's more evidence to back it up.

    I tried to discuss evidence and competing theories earlier, but the "opinion police" and the "semantics police" wouldn't have it.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    I don't think you understand the difference between abstract concepts and the physical universe.
    Evidence for this theory?

  4. #214
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Exactly... theory = opinion
    (using her/his yardstick)
    Theory != opinion. Theory requires that it has never been contradicted by any observation. Theory is a power word for scientists. A good theory is something that is praised. You have not even linked to any theories, simply hypothesis. Your study based on the Pew data offered a number of possible explanations. The Pew study was not even a hypothesis, it was a simple presentation of data.

  5. #215
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's right, theories aren't "fact" but "opinion" -- to use the jargon in this thread.


    I'm not trying to diminish theories. Quite the opposite. I'm trying to make sense of this "it's only an opinion" garbage that keeps getting tossed at me. As to your example above, both are "opinions," one just has a lot more credibility than the other because there's more evidence to back it up.

    I tried to discuss evidence and competing theories earlier, but the "opinion police" and the "semantics police" wouldn't have it.


    Evidence for this theory?
    Hypothetical constructs don't have physical properties that you can see, count, or measure.

    I can accurately predict how fast something will fall to the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #216
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    When the water is right up to your chin, you think it's best to dig a little deeper?

    So if I'm not happy in the way you think I should be, I'm not really happy even though I think I'm happy?

    (here, use my shovel... it's called logic, maybe you can fill in that hole a bit)
    Nice strawman, I never said, nor implied that.

    I am saying that just because you think that you are happy, does not necessarily mean that you are. What my view of happiness is is totally independent, and only relates when applied to me.

    However it is entirely possible for someone to think they are happy all of their lives, and then suddenly wake up one day and the entire facade comes crumbling down because they were just rationalizing that they were happy to protect their psyche.

    I am not claiming that you are unhappy, it is very likely that you are in fact very happy. I am just saying that thinking one is happy does not equal being happy. Although related, emotions and thoughts are not the same entity. They both influence one another, yes; however a mind is quite able to deceive the individual to protect that individual.

    so using logic (which I have been) thought does not equal emotion. happiness is subjective, thus varies from individual to individual, and also within the same individual as a product of circumstance. Being subjective it is not readily defined, and not being readily definable makes applying further logic to an undefined, subjective (and immeasurable) concept futile.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Good god, woman. I just gave you the freakin' link.



    If you "KNOW that they [liberals] don't like america as much as regular people," you must have used some sort of measuring device, correct? What device did you use in order to come to your assertion that liberals "don't like america as much as regular people."
    If you have such a measuring device in mind Glinda, let me know, but I don't think they exist.

    I see why your post didn't make sense. Your emphasis changed the meaning of the statement. I don't claim to know with certaintly and beyond all doubt, just like I've been saying all along.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Hypothetical constructs don't have physical properties that you can see, count, or measure.

    I can accurately predict how fast something will fall to the earth.
    And? I don't see where you're going with this.

  9. #219
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    And? I don't see where you're going with this.
    You will never ever be able to prove a hypothetical construct.

    Theories have been, and will continue to be, proven.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #220
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you have such a measuring device in mind Glinda, let me know, but I don't think they exist.
    FINALLY. Jesus.

    Ok. For the record, we now agree that:

    1. There is no way to measure who loves America more, conservatives or liberals. Making a claim that one group or the other cares more about their country is nothing more than an OPINION.

    2. There is no way to measure who is happier, conservatives or liberals. Making a claim that one group or the other is happier is nothing more than an OPINION.

    Still waiting for the definition of "regular people."

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •