Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 403

Thread: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

  1. #91
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Guess what?
    SUVs are less fuel efficient than cars.
    Travel by air is faster than travel by train.
    Beef contains more fat than turkey
    and on and on and on...
    Those are all document-able. Feel free to document your claim that liberals don't love the country as much as "regular people".

  2. #92
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    An interesting take on the "happy" conservatives, presented by the staff and research students engaged in psychoanalytic and psychotherapeutic studies at the University of Sheffield.
    Again, conservatives are happier.

    If you'd like to debate their explanation in another thread, I'd be happy to. Given the disproportionate amount of money given to charities by conservatives, I find it hard to believe that they're not being empathetic. Of course, maybe we can explain it all away because "capitalism is psychopathological and schizoid"

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    * The University of Sheffield is rated 8th in the UK, 24th in Europe, and 77th in the world in an annual academic ranking of the top 500 universities worldwide published in August 2008 by China's Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

    Researchers evaluated the universities using several research performance indicators, including the number of highly cited researchers, academic performance, articles in the periodicals Science and Nature, and the number of Nobel prize winners.
    psst! Harvard is rated a hell of a lot higher (not that rankings really mean that much)

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    As I said earlier, I did substantiate my claims. Not as well as I would have liked, but this is a discussion board, no? Are we not allowed to discuss our thoughts until someone else has come to a conclusion? Sheesh.

    BTW, there's lots of evidence that liberals are not as happy as conservatives:
    (hopefully I can paste links in here)

    Why Are Conservatives Happier Than Liberals?
    http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic526279.files
    /Napier%20Jost%20Why%20Are%20Conservatives%20Happie r.pdf
    Link doesn't work.

    1) This is an opinion, with no research done.
    2) He identifies correlation NOT causation. If you read the article, he indicates marriage and religion as main factors of happiness, then, without substantiation, states that liberals are less like like to be married and have religion. This does NOT prove the thesis. What it states is that there is a correlation between happiness and marriage/religion. His extrapolation from this is faulty.
    Op-Ed...by a noted conservative. He cites the same correlation, not causation as the second link. Nothing that proves your position.

    It makes sense when you think about it. The democratic party attracts a confederacy of unhappy people: welfare recipients, people living off of social security, certain minority groups, etc. Further, Liberal dogma teaches people that they've been oppressed and that they need help from government in order to make their dreams come true (external locus of control).
    You are posting more conservative groupthink, here.

    See what I did?

    Now it may be the case that these people love their country as much as those who are generally happier and don't share that same worldview, but I doubt it.
    Yet you have still offered no proof for this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #94
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    It's not a generalization if it's only about one person.
    It wasn't about a person, it was a generalization about pizza

  5. #95
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You are posting more conservative groupthink, here.

    See what I did?
    I laughed. Good line sir.

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's not the context I was using the pizza analogy. It is a fact that I like pizza... but that doesn't mean I like every single pizza ever made.
    Just because YOU like pizza doesn't make pizza yummy. It only makes pizza yummy to YOU. That is what we all are trying to tell you. Your opinion is YOURS, it does not extend to anyone else and it is not a fact.


    Have I stumbled into the twilight zone? When you guys have conflicting opinions you call the debate over and hope that someone else will step up to the plate so you'll have a handy link?
    No one is calling the debate over. You are trying to present an opinion as a fact. If you are going to do that, show us some substantiation. If not, indicate that it is an opinion.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    A generalization is not the same thing as an opinion. Let me try to explain this to you again (for everyone's benefit).

    Men are taller than women.

    Generally speaking, this is fact. I need not say that "some men" are taller than "some women" AT THE SAME TIME I'm not implying that every man is taller than every woman.
    This is a verifiable fact.

    Guess what?
    SUVs are less fuel efficient than cars.
    Travel by air is faster than travel by train.
    Beef contains more fat than turkey
    and on and on and on...
    These are all verifiable facts with evidence and data.

    These are facts. Nonetheless, all of these are "generally true" but are not always true. This is not a difficult concept.
    These can be proven with statistical data. Not a difficult concept.

    Come on! You make me sad for your significant other!
    "I'm hungry for some burgers!"
    "No you're not, you're overgeneralizing"
    "Huh?! No I meant it, I want to eat a burger"
    "You say that you want to eat a burger, but what you really mean is that you only want to eat some burgers. Please don't lie to me next time, just tell me that you're generalizing your hunger preference to round, patty-shaped chopped beef of a suitable fat content that is grilled to a precise temperature."
    Your analogy doesn't fit. At all. Try again.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #98
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It wasn't about a person, it was a generalization about pizza
    I was talking about "I am hungry for a burger."
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Again, conservatives are happier.
    Which is your opinion.

    If you'd like to debate their explanation in another thread, I'd be happy to. Given the disproportionate amount of money given to charities by conservatives, I find it hard to believe that they're not being empathetic. Of course, maybe we can explain it all away because "capitalism is psychopathological and schizoid"
    And your conclusion that conservatives give money to charity because they are empathetic is YOUR OPINION. Here...my opinion is that conservatives give more money to charities because they want tax breaks.

    See what I did, again?

    psst! Harvard is rated a hell of a lot higher (not that rankings really mean that much)
    You're right. Rankings mean nothing in this situation.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #100
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: 'We hate the United States': Secessionists rally in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your first link does not work.
    That's why I included the titles. Just put "Why Are Conservatives Happier Than Liberals?" into google.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your second link is to a Q & A with a guy trying to sell his book
    Did you want to discuss his arguments, or are you just that close minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    and your third link is to an op/ed piece by George Will.
    ...describing a pew research study that you apparently overlooked or really just don't care to learn anything and would rather debate semantics.

    Have fun with that.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •