Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

  1. #21
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    I must apologize for posting when I did not have my facts correct. I was listening to the tv halfheartedly in the background and I should have known better then to post something I wasnt paying much attention to.

    What I did hear wasnt about Candian health care at all but instead about Britians NHS.


    Daniel Hannan a member of the european parliament said that
    "1.4 million people are employed by Britains NHS, most of those being administrators". The 3rd largest employer in the world. The numbers dont reflect reality in costs. Alot is not taken into consideration such as government subsidizing private insurance which adds to the costs not accounted for in the NHS numbers.

  2. #22
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I must apologize for posting when I did not have my facts correct. I was listening to the tv halfheartedly in the background and I should have known better then to post something I wasnt paying much attention to.

    What I did hear wasnt about Candian health care at all but instead about Britians NHS.


    Daniel Hannan a member of the european parliament said that
    "1.4 million people are employed by Britains NHS, most of those being administrators". The 3rd largest employer in the world. The numbers dont reflect reality in costs. Alot is not taken into consideration such as government subsidizing private insurance which adds to the costs not accounted for in the NHS numbers.
    Lol you believe that hack?

    Yea the UK's NHS has a lot of people employed, but most of those being administrators? yea... right..

    This from a man who has been frozen out of his own party and publicly denounced by his party leader for spreading lies and half truths for 15 min of fame in the US?
    PeteEU

  3. #23
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    The point isn't that Canadian health costs more, or that American health care is broke.

    All we've heard from th foreigners is how much better their systems are and how much our's sucks. It appears that the Canadian health care system isn't all it's cracked up to be, if they're exporting patients to the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #24
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    There is no perfect system. Canada has it's issues, too. But the fact is, they do provide quality healthcare for all their citizens.
    That depends on your definition of quality.

    That is a fact.
    No, it's an opinion.

  5. #25
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    I wish our Congress would just get to the business of making the best one they can.
    What makes it the job of the Congress to do anything about it at all?

  6. #26
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    1) It costs a higher percentage probably because it covers a higher percentage of people. To me, other people's lives are more important than pocket change.
    Nobody is stopping you from donating your pocket change, but like most hypocrites you're a big champion of your cause as long as someone else foots the bill.

    There would be a lot of savings if US went single payer. I don't know how much,
    Then how do you know there would be?

    but it has a lot of advantages such as easy access to patient's records from anywhere (instead of calling and requesting a copy of paper records) and allowing more people to work with smaller recovery periods.
    How do you know this?

    Also, Medicare on steroids? Wouldn't that be an even higher satisfaction percentage than what we have now?
    Medicare has been in the red for years and is insolvent. It's the third highest expenditure of the Federal government and is going bankrupt. Remember, we have an $11 trillion debt to pay back and that isn't including the $9 trillion that the Dalai Bama wants to add on over the next ten years.

  7. #27
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Do you honestly think that Canadians get treated by vets? Where in the heck did you hear that?

    And you actually think that Canadians do not get healthcare after 65? Where in the heck did you hear that?

    My dad, who is 78, is currently going through chemo. And if you think you're right, why do Canadians live longer than Americans?
    There are a lot of reasons not related to health care as to why American life expectancy is lower than most other first world nations.

    As to the rest of what you said, I would agree with you that he doesn't seem all that astute on the subject.

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro View Post
    What makes it the job of the Congress to do anything about it at all?
    If you're waiting for the government to get busy making things perfect, then you've got a long wait ahead of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The point isn't that Canadian health costs more, or that American health care is broke.

    All we've heard from th foreigners is how much better their systems are and how much our's sucks. It appears that the Canadian health care system isn't all it's cracked up to be, if they're exporting patients to the United States.

    Canada is not - is not - exporting patients to the United States in any statisclly significant numbers.

    That notion that Canadians are travelling to the US more than usual, or in many numbers is categorically false.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-19-09 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    374

    Re: Canadians visit U.S. to get health care

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Canadian health care has alot of issues and also costs alot more then ours. I heard yesterday that about 42% of Canada's tax revenue went into the health care system. Thats alot more expensive then ours. Some Canadian officals in the health care system believe it is near the breaking point.

    A single payer system in the US would be like Medicare on steroids. I see no way we could afford it unless we taxed everyone 60%+.
    It is not more expensive than the US system. That is another false claim.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •