Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,832
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obviously, Kennedy is concerned that there won't be a Liberal Democrat to replace him.

    The sooner he dies the better of we'll all be.
    Totally classless and out of line. I despise Kennedy and everything the man stands for, but I do not wish him ill, nor for him to die.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  2. #22
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I think the Seventeenth Amendment should be repealed and the state legislatures should go back to appointing the senators.
    Why the states ever gave that up, I have NO idea.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #23
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    I am so glad to see some one else say this! There were very good reasons to have one House removed from the electorate's mood of the moment.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  4. #24
    User Carole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    11-09-12 @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    81

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    In 2004, Massachusetts Democrats devised a plan to keep John Kerry's Senate seat in their party's hands by blocking Republican Governor Mitt Romney from naming an interim replacement should Senator Kerry win the White House. They forced a change in the state's succession law from exactly what Senator Kennedy is asking for today to the new requirement of a special election.

    In June of 2004, the State Senate voted, almost entirely on party lines, to change the nearly century-old electoral rules and was able to stave off a veto from Governor Romney thereby assuring there would be no Republican appointed to the seat should Senator Kerry win the White House. Robert E. Travaglini, the State Senate's president at the time said, "This is an elected position, not an appointed position, and there's been a process that's evolved over a period of time where I believe the people should vote and voice their opinions in situations of significance."

    Evidently the opinions of the people and their right to voice them are no longer significant. At least not according to the Democrats of Massachusetts.

    TalkingSides.com - The Democrats' Favorite Strategy: When You're Losing Change The Rules

  5. #25
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    Next time,,,check your Commom Sense. A Kennedy asking for Secession.
    That string of words means something to somebody, I guess ...

  6. #26
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    Modern day right wing Christians.......full of hate.
    Stereotypes are fun, aren't they?

  7. #27
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Why the states ever gave that up, I have NO idea.
    They couldn't get their **** together in their own legislatures early in the 20th century, evidently. Little did they know that by ceding their right to appoint senators that they would eventually cede all the rest of their rights as well.

  8. #28
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    That string of words means something to somebody, I guess ...
    Think about it..

    In a letter to Massachusetts leaders, Kennedy asked that Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick get the authority to quickly appoint a successor to his seat — presumably a Democrat –rather than waiting five months or so for a special election. To maintain the appearance of fairness, Kennedy requested that the governor pick someone who will commit to not run for the seat at the time of the special election. Kennedy’s request would require legislators to alter a 2004 succession law that requires a special election be held to fill a Senate vacancy.

    A Liberal Yankee turns Successionist. But in this case, he's trying to AVOID a Vote of the People.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    Modern day right wing Christians.......full of hate.
    Others have said it to the people on the right already in this thread...good to see exhibiting classlessness is not something beholden to a single side.

    I actually don't have a HUGE issue with what Kennedy is asking for though I would rather see them not change it simply because he's asking. But appointing an "interum" senator for the 5 months before the special election would at least provide Mass with someone representing them in that seat between the time of his death and the time the people can elect someone new.

    I would rather them just have a faster election, but I imagine that:

    1. The setup time to get the election going
    2. Time to campaign that doesn't cause them to start campaigning while the man's still alive

    may be why the 5 months time table is there. I would find it very distasteful to find people campaigning for a Senate seat of a man still alive on his death bed.

  10. #30
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Kennedy Seeks Change in Massachusetts Succession Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    In 2004, Massachusetts Democrats devised a plan to keep John Kerry's Senate seat in their party's hands by blocking Republican Governor Mitt Romney from naming an interim replacement should Senator Kerry win the White House. They forced a change in the state's succession law from exactly what Senator Kennedy is asking for today to the new requirement of a special election.

    In June of 2004, the State Senate voted, almost entirely on party lines, to change the nearly century-old electoral rules and was able to stave off a veto from Governor Romney thereby assuring there would be no Republican appointed to the seat should Senator Kerry win the White House. Robert E. Travaglini, the State Senate's president at the time said, "This is an elected position, not an appointed position, and there's been a process that's evolved over a period of time where I believe the people should vote and voice their opinions in situations of significance."

    Evidently the opinions of the people and their right to voice them are no longer significant. At least not according to the Democrats of Massachusetts.

    TalkingSides.com - The Democrats' Favorite Strategy: When You're Losing Change The Rules
    Additionally, the significance of Kennedy's suggestion is to help insure passage of the Healthcare legislation should there be a tight vote in the Senate.

    If there is a lengthy vacancy it could affect the outcome of the matter.

    OBL 11/24/02

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •