Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    I think the author has a point. It wasn't the war they were protesting it was Bush. It seems almost all the wackos protesting the wars have ceased since Obama came to office.

    For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all | Washington Examiner

    Remember the anti-war movement? Not too long ago, the Democratic party's most loyal voters passionately opposed the war in Iraq. Democratic presidential candidates argued over who would withdraw American troops the quickest. Netroots activists regularly denounced President George W. Bush, and sometimes the U.S. military ("General Betray Us"). Cindy Sheehan, the woman whose soldier son was killed in Iraq, became a heroine when she led protests at Bush's Texas ranch.

    That was then. Now, even though the United States still has roughly 130,000 troops in Iraq, and is quickly escalating the war in Afghanistan -- 68,000 troops there by the end of this year, and possibly more in 2010 -- anti-war voices on the Left have fallen silent.

    No group was more angrily opposed to the war in Iraq than the netroots activists clustered around the left-wing Web site DailyKos. It's an influential site, one of the biggest on the Web, and in the Bush years many of its devotees took an active role in raising money and campaigning for anti-war candidates.

    In 2006, DailyKos held its first annual convention, called YearlyKos, in Las Vegas. Amid the slightly discordant surroundings of the Riviera Hotel casino, the webby activists spent hours discussing and planning strategies not only to defeat Republicans but also to pressure Democrats to oppose the war more forcefully. The gathering attracted lots of mainstream press attention; Internet activism was the hot new thing.

    snip....

    Cindy Sheehan is learning that. She's still protesting the war, and on Monday she announced plans to demonstrate at Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama will be vacationing.

    "We as a movement need to continue calling for an immediate end to the occupations [in Iraq and Afghanistan] even when there is a Democrat in the Oval Office," Sheehan said in a statement. "There is still no Noble Cause no matter how we examine the policies."

    Give her credit for consistency, if nothing else. But her days are over. The people who most fervently supported her have moved on.

    Not too long ago, some observers worried that Barack Obama would come under increasing pressure from the Left to leave both Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, it seems those worries were unfounded. For many liberal activists, opposing the war was really about opposing George W. Bush. When Bush disappeared, so did their anti-war passion.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,044

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think the author has a point. It wasn't the war they were protesting it was Bush. It seems almost all the wackos protesting the wars have ceased since Obama came to office.

    For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all | Washington Examiner

    Remember the anti-war movement? Not too long ago, the Democratic party's most loyal voters passionately opposed the war in Iraq. Democratic presidential candidates argued over who would withdraw American troops the quickest. Netroots activists regularly denounced President George W. Bush, and sometimes the U.S. military ("General Betray Us"). Cindy Sheehan, the woman whose soldier son was killed in Iraq, became a heroine when she led protests at Bush's Texas ranch.

    That was then. Now, even though the United States still has roughly 130,000 troops in Iraq, and is quickly escalating the war in Afghanistan -- 68,000 troops there by the end of this year, and possibly more in 2010 -- anti-war voices on the Left have fallen silent.

    No group was more angrily opposed to the war in Iraq than the netroots activists clustered around the left-wing Web site DailyKos. It's an influential site, one of the biggest on the Web, and in the Bush years many of its devotees took an active role in raising money and campaigning for anti-war candidates.

    In 2006, DailyKos held its first annual convention, called YearlyKos, in Las Vegas. Amid the slightly discordant surroundings of the Riviera Hotel casino, the webby activists spent hours discussing and planning strategies not only to defeat Republicans but also to pressure Democrats to oppose the war more forcefully. The gathering attracted lots of mainstream press attention; Internet activism was the hot new thing.

    snip....

    Cindy Sheehan is learning that. She's still protesting the war, and on Monday she announced plans to demonstrate at Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama will be vacationing.

    "We as a movement need to continue calling for an immediate end to the occupations [in Iraq and Afghanistan] even when there is a Democrat in the Oval Office," Sheehan said in a statement. "There is still no Noble Cause no matter how we examine the policies."

    Give her credit for consistency, if nothing else. But her days are over. The people who most fervently supported her have moved on.

    Not too long ago, some observers worried that Barack Obama would come under increasing pressure from the Left to leave both Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, it seems those worries were unfounded. For many liberal activists, opposing the war was really about opposing George W. Bush. When Bush disappeared, so did their anti-war passion.
    Anti-war Protest Videos Washington March 21, 2009 - 12.160Mhz

    ANTI-WAR PROTESTS PLANNED — ANSWER

    Tuesday October 7, 2009, marks the start of the ninth year of the invasion of Afghanistan. That day anti-war protests will occur in cities and towns across America. Monday October 5 and Saturday October 17 anti-war actions will also occur.

    The ANSWER Coalition is calling on people in cities and towns and on campuses to take to the streets and to engage in other actions (rallies, pickets, teach-ins) —Demanding an end to all wars and occupations and serious attention to health care for all.
    Anti-War Protest 2009 - a set on Flickr

    Fight Back! - January 2009 - Anti-war protests at the RNC send message to the world

    Google

    There are 90,000,000 results for :

    Anti war protesting in 2009
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #3
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Cindy Sheehan: Non-hypocrite. I think she's a joke, but props where props are due.

    Anyway, there's a whole HOST of things, once considered proof positive of the "Bush Reich," which are suddenly OK.

    And a lot of things which were ridiculed, too, but for some reason still stick around.

    DHS | Homeland Security Advisory System
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #4
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    The article didn't say there were no protests. It was about the lack of interest in it from the usual suspects who drove the Lefty machine during the Bush years, when they WERE all about it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #5
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Let me explain the math to you.

    Dem power in Congress...... 60% GOP 40%

    Good Progressive anti war Dems....60% of Dem Party...Corporate shills or Blue Dog Dems 40%

    .6 x .6 ....37% of Congress

    Since when can 37% of the good guys influence US foreign policy????

    They cannot. Obama is going way too slow. He doesn't have the spine to rock the boat.

    Thanks to GOP scare tactics and rhetoric the USA cannot pull out without right wingers screaming and howling how Obama is putting the Country at risk.

    Congratulations! You've burned a Trillion dollars up in smoke ...got nearly 5000 young adults killed needlessly, and there are still not enough good Democrats to stand up to you.
    Last edited by dragondad; 08-19-09 at 10:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    Let me explain the math to you.


    Dem power in Congress...... 60% GOP 40%


    Good Progressive anti war Dems....60% of Dem Party...Corporate shills or Blue Dog Dems 40%


    .6 x .6 ....37% of Congress

    Since when can 37% of the good guys influence US foreign policy????


    They cannot. Obama is going way too slow. He doesn't have the spine to rock the boat.

    Thanks to GOP scare tactics and rhetoric the USA cannot pull out without right wingers screaming and howling how Obama is putting the Country at risk.
    I'm going to regret asking this, because the answer will be difficult to read and make no sense, but . . .

    What's this got to do with the sudden lack of interest, especially as contrasted against the time when Democrats were in the minority and had no chance at all of influencing foreign policy, and there was PLENTY of interest?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #7
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I'm going to regret asking this, because the answer will be difficult to read and make no sense, but . . .

    What's this got to do with the sudden lack of interest, especially as contrasted against the time when Democrats were in the minority and had no chance at all of influencing foreign policy, and there was PLENTY of interest?
    The election is over. The bad guys lost. The warmongers and Neocons are gone.....Yes! Obama sucks also but not near to the degree that Bush/Cheney did on Iraq and their "War on Terror".....AND things are slowly winding down.

    All those liberals you saw marching on the streets are not Obama fans! Unless your definition of an Obama fan is voting for him over another BUSH II.

  8. #8
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    The election is over. The bad guys lost. The warmongers and Neocons are gone.....Yes! Obama sucks also but not near to the degree that Bush/Cheney did on Iraq and their "War on Terror".....AND things are slowly winding down.

    All those liberals you saw marching on the streets are not Obama fans! Unless your definition of an Obama fan is voting for him over another BUSH II.
    Now, wait . . . were all those protests about Bush, or not?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #9
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    Let me explain the math to you.

    Dem power in Congress...... 60% GOP 40%

    Good Progressive anti war Dems....60% of Dem Party...Corporate shills or Blue Dog Dems 40%

    .6 x .6 ....37% of Congress
    So you admit the progressives to be a minority? (BTW, 0.6 * 0.6 is 0.36, not 0.37)

  10. #10
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas-Ft.Worth
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    541

    Re: For the Left, war without Bush is not war at all

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    So you admit the progressives to be a minority? (BTW, 0.6 * 0.6 is 0.36, not 0.37)
    Yes they are but they do far outnumber "real" Conservatives. What you are likely calling Conservative are really Authoritarians.

    The majority in Congress are members who's first allegiance is to corporate/big money interests.....The vast majority of them are GOP members.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •