Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    yeah...by having the export bank loan money to a country that will buy US goods and Services increasing demand for US labor adding money to US corporate coffers and then having that country pay back the export bank with interest.....

    Huh, by increasing exports and demand for US goods, BO is out to kill America's economy.

    What world do you live in again?
    How much more demand would that 2 billion dollar infusion have created here? If unemployment was 4%, I would say loaning that money to Brazil is a great idea, but...it ain't at 4%.

    Just today, PBO said things are going to keep going down hill. The GDP is going to fall more, before it gets better.

    Sounds to me like someone has his priorities all ****ed up.
    Last edited by apdst; 08-25-09 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #32
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How much more demand would that 2 billion dollar infusion have created here?
    Technically less. First of all, the money is a loan. That means once the initial outflow goes and demand is created in the us, the foreign company has to pay back the loan amount with interest, thereby increasing available resources to the export bank to then again make another loan to increase US demand. Barring a bankruptcy, we could really just keep using the same cash over and over again to stimulate demand while pocking the interest while increasing exports. When you give it out in the US, that company has to pay it back and thus decreases the amount of money they can otherwise put into their operations as opposed to just a straight equipment/service contract. It makes relatively little sense to saddle your firms with debt when you don't have to. Debt servicing aside from a tax break is largely a money pit, I'd prefer that money to be used to expand US business rather than pay off the export/import bank. When it's foreign, that ain't our problem. In some ways, the Export/Import bank is really just Economic Imperialism. I think that's funny.

    If unemployment was 4%, I would say loaning that money to Brazil is a great idea, but...it ain't at 4%.
    The problem with that thinking is you are only looking at what's right in your face. Look at it over the long term. Particularly what we can do with that money once it gets repaid with interest.

    Just today, PBO said things are going to keep going down hill. The GDP is going to fall more, before it gets better.
    And increasing exports will at least reduce that GDP fall.

    Sounds to me like someone has his priorities all ****ed up.
    So do you think Bush, Clinton, Bush HW, Reagan and so on and so forth had their priorities screwed up when this happened under them? What the export-import bank is doing is essentially what it has been doing for years.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Technically less. First of all, the money is a loan. That means once the initial outflow goes and demand is created in the us, the foreign company has to pay back the loan amount with interest, thereby increasing available resources to the export bank to then again make another loan to increase US demand. Barring a bankruptcy, we could really just keep using the same cash over and over again to stimulate demand while pocking the interest while increasing exports. When you give it out in the US, that company has to pay it back and thus decreases the amount of money they can otherwise put into their operations as opposed to just a straight equipment/service contract. It makes relatively little sense to saddle your firms with debt when you don't have to. Debt servicing aside from a tax break is largely a money pit, I'd prefer that money to be used to expand US business rather than pay off the export/import bank. When it's foreign, that ain't our problem. In some ways, the Export/Import bank is really just Economic Imperialism. I think that's funny.
    Loaning a domestic company money going to have a lesser affect on the American job market?



    The problem with that thinking is you are only looking at what's right in your face. Look at it over the long term. Particularly what we can do with that money once it gets repaid with interest.
    WE aren't going to do anything with the money...



    And increasing exports will at least reduce that GDP fall.
    Reducing the fall is a failed tactic. The stealfromus package proved that.



    So do you think Bush, Clinton, Bush HW, Reagan and so on and so forth had their priorities screwed up when this happened under them? What the export-import bank is doing is essentially what it has been doing for years.

    As I pointed out earlier, if domestic unemployment were at 4%, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, with unemployment bumping 10%, propping up jobs outside the United States shows a lack of prioritization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #34
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Loaning a domestic company money going to have a lesser affect on the American job market?
    Did you even read what I wrote?

    For once in your career here, TRY.

    WE aren't going to do anything with the money...
    But in the context of this discussion, please try for a change. Unless you want me to add this to the list of why we hold you in contempt.

    Reducing the fall is a failed tactic. The stealfromus package proved that.
    Actually the stimulus doesn't support exports for the most part and it has failed because it did not hold to the most important aspect: timeliness. If the $787 billion had gone out within 3 months and was actually spent in 3 months, we'd be singing another tune entirely, one likely of raising interest rates to somewhere I'd guess in the vicinity of 8% to curtail inflation.

    Try learn something about the subjects you talk about for a change.

    As I pointed out earlier, if domestic unemployment were at 4%, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, with unemployment bumping 10%, propping up jobs outside the United States shows a lack of prioritization.
    That is because you failed to understand what the deal actually does.
    Rather than actually look at what the deal does, you are going off on "I hate Obama" and thus you don't even bother to look at what will actually occur or how it will impact American businesses. Your utter failure to even read the long paragraph in which I detail just why service contracts are better than loans especially when the money is revolving and out of the export bank is concrete evidence of it.

    If you want anyone to take you seriously, you need to remove your blinders. What the loan is, is nothing more than corporate welfare. You have consistently failed to understand that.

    I'd love to see your argument for how increasing markets for US exports is bad for American businesses. But I doubt you'll even read this.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #35
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Did you even read what I wrote?

    For once in your career here, TRY.



    But in the context of this discussion, please try for a change. Unless you want me to add this to the list of why we hold you in contempt.



    Actually the stimulus doesn't support exports for the most part and it has failed because it did not hold to the most important aspect: timeliness. If the $787 billion had gone out within 3 months and was actually spent in 3 months, we'd be singing another tune entirely, one likely of raising interest rates to somewhere I'd guess in the vicinity of 8% to curtail inflation.

    Try learn something about the subjects you talk about for a change.



    That is because you failed to understand what the deal actually does.
    Rather than actually look at what the deal does, you are going off on "I hate Obama" and thus you don't even bother to look at what will actually occur or how it will impact American businesses. Your utter failure to even read the long paragraph in which I detail just why service contracts are better than loans especially when the money is revolving and out of the export bank is concrete evidence of it.

    If you want anyone to take you seriously, you need to remove your blinders. What the loan is, is nothing more than corporate welfare. You have consistently failed to understand that.

    I'd love to see your argument for how increasing markets for US exports is bad for American businesses. But I doubt you'll even read this.
    You are incapable of having an honest debate, without going off some temper-tantrum and pewing personal attacks. Obviously, you just like to get your way and get pissy when you don't. I'm surprised that anyone takes you seriously, but I gess that explains why your more brilliant posts are in the basement.
    Last edited by apdst; 08-25-09 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #36
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    yeah...by having the export bank loan money to a country that will buy US goods and Services increasing demand for US labor adding money to US corporate coffers and then having that country pay back the export bank with interest.....

    Huh, by increasing exports and demand for US goods, BO is out to kill America's economy.

    What world do you live in again?
    Are those loans getting paid back?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #37
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You are incapable of having an honest debate, without going off some temper-tantrum and pewing personal attacks. Obviously, you just like to get your way and get pissy when you don't. I'm surprised that anyone takes you seriously, but I gess that explains why your more brilliant posts are in the basement.
    Seriously? You don't even attempt to read what I wrote and then you accuse me of all kind of random stuff? And I can't debate honesty? The answer to your question was in the post you quoted! Thus, suggesting to me you don't even attempt to read what people reply to you. Without any effort on your part, you cannot even hope to even participate in a discussion much less debate honesty.

    If my posts are so wrong why are you so incapable of refuting them?

    You may way to review the rules before posting. You just violated one of them.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #38
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Seriously? You don't even attempt to read what I wrote and then you accuse me of all kind of random stuff? And I can't debate honesty? The answer to your question was in the post you quoted! Thus, suggesting to me you don't even attempt to read what people reply to you. Without any effort on your part, you cannot even hope to even participate in a discussion much less debate honesty.

    If my posts are so wrong why are you so incapable of refuting them?

    You may way to review the rules before posting. You just violated one of them.
    I do read what you write and it's not even credible enough to qualify as an opinion. You say I take the, "hate Obama", position, well you take the Obama sychophantism position. You can't back up anything you've posted, so there's not much to refute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #39
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I do read what you write and it's not even credible enough to qualify as an opinion. You say I take the, "hate Obama", position, well you take the Obama sychophantism position. You can't back up anything you've posted, so there's not much to refute.
    Explain what I wrote then, if you can. Which I extremely doubt.

    Let's see if you actually do read what I wrote. Given your history here, it's pretty obvious you don't read what people write and you just respond to whatever you want.

    I do like how you think that in a situation where you could have American firms increase exports without debt is WORSE than a situation that increases their debt is not credible. Hysterical. More debt eh? Tell that to BoA and Citi.

    And I'm a Obama sychophant? Do you realize i didn't vote for him and yesterday I said he should be impeached if next year's deficit is as high as this years?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,482

    Re: Obama Gives Billions for Offshore Drilling But Not Here

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Explain what I wrote then, if you can. Which I extremely doubt.

    Let's see if you actually do read what I wrote. Given your history here, it's pretty obvious you don't read what people write and you just respond to whatever you want.

    I do like how you think that in a situation where you could have American firms increase exports without debt is WORSE than a situation that increases their debt is not credible. Hysterical. More debt eh? Tell that to BoA and Citi.

    And I'm a Obama sychophant? Do you realize i didn't vote for him and yesterday I said he should be impeached if next year's deficit is as high as this years?
    I'm not explaining your point for you. It's your job to make it make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •