Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 180

Thread: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

  1. #11
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No point really. For me you cut spending first, then cut taxes once things balance and you get a (real) surplus, but overall, I agree with lower taxes lower spending as an ideal
    There's a very simple way to force more responsible spending by Congress. Simply require that each and every sale of Treasury Bonds be approved by a specific act of Congress. If Tiny Tim wants more money, he has to go to Congress, which has to vote on the matter--each and every time.

    Puts everyone on the spot for how government spends.

  2. #12
    Student angrycarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    234

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    This seems to be a "death panel" argument against the employee free choice act. A much needed bill to modernize unionization and make retaliation and other strike breaking activities illegal. The bald faced lie in this article is that removing the secret ballot is somehow robbing workers of their right to unionize. the way it works these days is that a worker who wants to unionize requests sign up cards from a union. These cards are almost always signed in secret. After 60% or so of workers sign these cards are presented to management along with a demand to unionize. Then management swings into action. Since current laws say that management can demand a secret ballot before allowing a union they schedule one for as remote a date as they can get away with, in the meantime they have a stack of cards listing the names of who they will go after. They fire people, cut hours, hire professional union busters to come in and spread fear and many other things to insure that when it comes time to vote, everyone doing so is in fear for their jobs. The new law used to say that unionization could have taken place after presentation of the sign up cards but that got killed. But it still outlaws retaliation tactics such as firing organizers just for organizing.

    This "artlcle" also accuses labor leaders of being leftists pushing for leftist politicians, with republican leaders all but calling them communists what would you expect. Republicans tend to think that the time when unions served a useful purpose is long past and there is no longer any need for them, but with wages and benefits stagnant or falling I think it is time for more.

  3. #13
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by angrycarpenter View Post
    This seems to be a "death panel" argument against the employee free choice act. A much needed bill to modernize unionization and make retaliation and other strike breaking activities illegal. The bald faced lie in this article is that removing the secret ballot is somehow robbing workers of their right to unionize. the way it works these days is that a worker who wants to unionize requests sign up cards from a union. These cards are almost always signed in secret. After 60% or so of workers sign these cards are presented to management along with a demand to unionize. Then management swings into action. Since current laws say that management can demand a secret ballot before allowing a union they schedule one for as remote a date as they can get away with, in the meantime they have a stack of cards listing the names of who they will go after. They fire people, cut hours, hire professional union busters to come in and spread fear and many other things to insure that when it comes time to vote, everyone doing so is in fear for their jobs. The new law used to say that unionization could have taken place after presentation of the sign up cards but that got killed. But it still outlaws retaliation tactics such as firing organizers just for organizing.

    This "artlcle" also accuses labor leaders of being leftists pushing for leftist politicians, with republican leaders all but calling them communists what would you expect. Republicans tend to think that the time when unions served a useful purpose is long past and there is no longer any need for them, but with wages and benefits stagnant or falling I think it is time for more.
    I think Spike stated it best:


    The “Card Check System,” or Employee Free Choice Act as it is called, as usual, does exactly the opposite of what it states. In short this looks like another Obama driven attempt to control businesses. If this bill goes through, the government will have the authority to dictate terms of contracts over workers and the firms that employ them. The government will be in charge of even more of your life, even in the private sector. So “sticking it to the man” will mean sticking it to yourself. Well, actually it always has meant sticking it to yourselves, but that’s another argument. As some polls have indicated, over 70% of unionized workers prefer private balloting. If that many members want privacy, imagine how many would drop their membership altogether if they no longer had an honest say in what their union does? So that is the first step to killing a union. Thank you President Obama and your left wing cabal.

    I certainly wouldn't be calling that a "Bald-Faced Lie". I'm not Union,,,be if I were, I'd demand the Right to Vote in Privacy.

  4. #14
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    There's a very simple way to force more responsible spending by Congress. Simply require that each and every sale of Treasury Bonds be approved by a specific act of Congress. If Tiny Tim wants more money, he has to go to Congress, which has to vote on the matter--each and every time.

    Puts everyone on the spot for how government spends.
    Good idea. And while we're at it,,,a Bill is to be specific. No more hidden "Pork" slipped in by either Party.

  5. #15
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Ol' Ronnie Reagan knew best how to kill the unions.

    Ronald Reagan's War on Labor (Labor) by Dick Meister

    To me anything that will grow union membership I am for.

    Anybody wonder why Americas best years were the ones with the highest union memberships?

    Strong union membership makes for a strong middle class.

  6. #16
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Just wondering why labor should be a government-protected monopoly. Aren't monopolies bad?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #17
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Ol' Ronnie Reagan knew best how to kill the unions.

    Ronald Reagan's War on Labor (Labor) by Dick Meister

    To me anything that will grow union membership I am for.

    Anybody wonder why Americas best years were the ones with the highest union memberships?

    Strong union membership makes for a strong middle class.
    I loved it when Ronnie did this:

    Reagan's war on labor began in the summer of 1981, when he fired 13,000 striking air traffic controllers and destroyed their union.

    They fired the 1st shot by trying to cripple our entire Airline Industry. No Union has a Right to destroy Americas Transportation System, and wage War on our Economy. He laid waste to the leeches.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Just wondering why labor should be a government-protected monopoly. Aren't monopolies bad?
    How are unions a monopoly?

  9. #19
    Student angrycarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    234

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I think Spike stated it best:


    The “Card Check System,” or Employee Free Choice Act as it is called, as usual, does exactly the opposite of what it states. In short this looks like another Obama driven attempt to control businesses. If this bill goes through, the government will have the authority to dictate terms of contracts over workers and the firms that employ them. The government will be in charge of even more of your life, even in the private sector. So “sticking it to the man” will mean sticking it to yourself. Well, actually it always has meant sticking it to yourselves, but that’s another argument. As some polls have indicated, over 70% of unionized workers prefer private balloting. If that many members want privacy, imagine how many would drop their membership altogether if they no longer had an honest say in what their union does? So that is the first step to killing a union. Thank you President Obama and your left wing cabal.

    I certainly wouldn't be calling that a "Bald-Faced Lie". I'm not Union,,,be if I were, I'd demand the Right to Vote in Privacy.
    please educate what the free choice act is about before you argue against it.


    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_Free_Choice_Act]Employee Free Choice Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    It is entirely concerned with the procedure for establishing union representation in a particular workplace and outlawing certain practices collectively called union busting. The proposed legislation enjoys wide union member support. I would really like to see where you got 70% from. As for the government dictating terms.

    The bill provides that if an employer and a union are engaged in bargaining for their first contract and are unable to reach agreement within 90 days, either party may refer the dispute to the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) for mediation. If the FMCS is unable to bring the parties to agreement after providing mediation services for 30 days the dispute will be referred to arbitration and the results of the arbitration shall be binding on the parties for two years. The union and employer may extend any deadlines or time limits. (The FMCS, created in 1947, provides mediation services in support of collective bargaining free of charge.)
    How is this dictating terms? If contract negotiations go on for more than 90 days it simply because management is stalling, leaving the workers stuck without a contract and still subject to retaliation without representation. Under the current system if negotiations can be stalled for a year the union loses the presumption of majority status basically breaking the attempt to unionize. 44% of attempts at unionization are defeated by this stall tactic. This is the only Government involvement in contract negotiations stated in the bill and it only covers the first attempt to unionize.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    09-18-09 @ 04:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    105

    Re: How to Kill a Union,,,in 3 Easy Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I think Spike stated it best:


    The “Card Check System,” or Employee Free Choice Act as it is called, as usual, does exactly the opposite of what it states. In short this looks like another Obama driven attempt to control businesses. If this bill goes through, the government will have the authority to dictate terms of contracts over workers and the firms that employ them. The government will be in charge of even more of your life, even in the private sector. So “sticking it to the man” will mean sticking it to yourself. Well, actually it always has meant sticking it to yourselves, but that’s another argument. As some polls have indicated, over 70% of unionized workers prefer private balloting. If that many members want privacy, imagine how many would drop their membership altogether if they no longer had an honest say in what their union does? So that is the first step to killing a union. Thank you President Obama and your left wing cabal.

    I certainly wouldn't be calling that a "Bald-Faced Lie". I'm not Union,,,be if I were, I'd demand the Right to Vote in Privacy.
    I think the author of this blog is confused about EFCA and card check. Basically card check would mean that workers can create a union by a majority signing cards stating that they want to join a union. Many businesses already recognize card check and empirically it does make forming a union easier. Thus, available evidence suggests that card check would help rather than hinder union growth.

    It seems that there is some confusion about card check and what this means for a union member's control over their union. Under EFCA the decision to join a union might be through signing cards rather than the use of secret ballots. However, the governance of a union (i.e. the selection of officers, the use of dues money, the composition of bargaining committees, etc..) will still be determined by the constitution of the union. Many of these decisions will still be made with secret ballots although it will vary with the particular union and the decision that is being made. Thus, EFCA affects how a worker would join a union, it does not affect if a member has an honest say in what their union does. This is determined by this union's constitution.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •