Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 134

Thread: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

  1. #81
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    First of all, your source shows 3.8% inflation in 2008.

    Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2009, Annual and Monthly Table - US Inflation Calculator

    This brings the 2001-2008 average to 2.8%, which is -exactly- what it was in 2001. As such, your argument regarding an increase in inflation is fully negated.

    Average inflation since 1945 is 4.1%. Compare the 2.8% average inflation to that 4.1% post-war average, and its pretty clear that 2.8% is indeed "meager".


    ...that does not exist.

    So, again, if you want your claim to stand, you'll have to show that the jump in 2008 can be directly and uniquely traced to the 2001 tax cut.

    But then, you first need to show that there was a jump to begin with.
    ... the mid-level wage situation in decades prior to the 80s was very different. The middle class (core domestic consumer market) could shoulder inflation better in those days.

  2. #82
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    ... the mid-level wage situation in decades prior to the 80s was very different. The middle class (core domestic consumer market) could shoulder inflation better in those days.
    Look...
    Its been proven - by your source - that the conditions claimed in your argument do not exist.
    Thus, your argument is necessarily unsound.
    Admit it and move on.

  3. #83
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    To be fair, what did Bush even do up to 9/11 to be criticized for...I mean other than carrying Clinton policies over in regards to international policy and military?

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #84
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    To be fair, what did Bush even do up to 9/11 to be criticized for...I mean other than carrying Clinton policies over in regards to international policy and military?
    Its hard to say considering that he spent a large portion of it on vacation. After all...being the decider is a "hard job".
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #85
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Don't bring race into this. Its pathetic how some jump on the fact Obama is Black as a reason for everything. Maybe his policies are just sh*t? Thought of that?

    Even I am beginning to dislike Obama.
    And i'm Black ... and liberal
    It all comes down to perception. Problem right now is when you do have something like the Birthers, it does paint a picture. Granted there is a certain number of people that will oppose him for simply have the (D) besides his name, that is natural. But let us stop being foolish children to thinking we live in some post racial society of peach and harmony. That simply is not the case. There is a good number of people that will not accept him because of his skin color, and just as well there is another segment, that while not necessarily racial, but rather tribal. They simply do not identify with him, they see him as alien, foreign, or an "other". I would not call them racists as they do not necessarily fit the description. But, they also are not going to be accepting of anything, no matter what, because he is different from them.

    While we certainly can not say all opposition is just based on race, that is false. We also must recognize that race does still play an important factor in this country. Ignoring that is just downright blind to the obvious.

  6. #86
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    To be fair, what did Bush even do up to 9/11 to be criticized for...I mean other than carrying Clinton policies over in regards to international policy and military?
    If you ever read Richard Clarke's books, as well as a few others, the problem with Bush was that he did NOT follow Clinton's policy. During the transition everyone was warning them that al-Qaeda was their biggest threat, and that they needed to take action against them immediately. They blew this off. Remember the Cole was attacked in October of 2000, and Clinton did not want to take immediate military action in Afghanistan (dumb idea on his part) because he thought (A) this would be viewed as another Wag the Dog incident, and (B) he did not want to hand over a U.S. military involvement like he was handed with Somalia. For weeks Sandy Berger tried to discuss this with Condi Rice and others, they would not listen. Richard Clarke asked for a principals meeting on this for months, and ironically he finally got it in September, to which it was too late. They dropped the ball because they thought this was just some Clinton obsession (Clarke's own words) and wanted nothing to do with him. This was all discussed in Against All Enemies by Clarke, and has since been written by others.

  7. #87
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    If you ever read Richard Clarke's books, as well as a few others, the problem with Bush was that he did NOT follow Clinton's policy. During the transition everyone was warning them that al-Qaeda was their biggest threat, and that they needed to take action against them immediately. They blew this off. Remember the Cole was attacked in October of 2000, and Clinton did not want to take immediate military action in Afghanistan (dumb idea on his part) because he thought (A) this would be viewed as another Wag the Dog incident, and (B) he did not want to hand over a U.S. military involvement like he was handed with Somalia. For weeks Sandy Berger tried to discuss this with Condi Rice and others, they would not listen. Richard Clarke asked for a principals meeting on this for months, and ironically he finally got it in September, to which it was too late. They dropped the ball because they thought this was just some Clinton obsession (Clarke's own words) and wanted nothing to do with him. This was all discussed in Against All Enemies by Clarke, and has since been written by others.

    We've been hearing that for eight years, now and to date, no one has told us the, "what, when and where", of the threat that Bush was supposed to taking action against. We all know that any action taken by Bush would have been met with jeers of, "fearmongering", from the Libbos. Why do you people keep throwing that out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #88
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    If you ever read Richard Clarke's books, as well as a few others, the problem with Bush was that he did NOT follow Clinton's policy. During the transition everyone was warning them that al-Qaeda was their biggest threat, and that they needed to take action against them immediately. They blew this off. Remember the Cole was attacked in October of 2000, and Clinton did not want to take immediate military action in Afghanistan (dumb idea on his part) because he thought (A) this would be viewed as another Wag the Dog incident, and (B) he did not want to hand over a U.S. military involvement like he was handed with Somalia. For weeks Sandy Berger tried to discuss this with Condi Rice and others, they would not listen. Richard Clarke asked for a principals meeting on this for months, and ironically he finally got it in September, to which it was too late. They dropped the ball because they thought this was just some Clinton obsession (Clarke's own words) and wanted nothing to do with him. This was all discussed in Against All Enemies by Clarke, and has since been written by others.
    Haven't read it. I just know the policies in regards to military remained the same. Less military numbers and more money towards technologies that were supposed to make boots on the ground obsolete. It took the invasion of Iraq (after the rediculous notion of shock and awe) for the White House to recognize that ignoring the troop for favor of Cold War toy production was a mistake.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  9. #89
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    To be fair, what did Bush even do up to 9/11 to be criticized for...I mean other than carrying Clinton policies over in regards to international policy and military?
    Before 9/11 he was merely just there. Like his dad. Using an office to help his buddies. Harmless to normal Americans. As long as everything went status quo for 4 years so he could move on it was all good. Ho hum. But things got ugly....
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  10. #90
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: After 6 Months, More View Obama's Presidency as a 'Failure' Than Bush's

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Before 9/11 he was merely just there. Like his dad. Using an office to help his buddies. Harmless to normal Americans. As long as everything went status quo for 4 years so he could move on it was all good. Ho hum. But things got ugly....
    I'm not interested in discussions with partisan slaves.

    After the Cold War ended, Bush had to figure out America's role in the world. This is where the Gulf War, for which the world jumped aboard, and Somalia, for which the world jumped on board, came in.

    Nothing got ugly. Clinton ran on a campaign that blasted Bush for coddling Saddam Hussein after the Gulf War and for being soft on communist China. And for Clinton's 8 years, we coddled Saddam Hussein and remained soft on China. Until 9/11 Bush was traveling the same path. All the while all three were trying to figure out a national policy that guided America's role in the coonfusing post Cold War.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •