Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

  1. #71
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,021

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    1st off,,,we can agree the "Real World" has nothing to do with T.V. And yes,,,there are major concerns pertaining to security for our people in a combat zone. Agreed...
    Because nobody can possibly get their real world news from CNN, ABC, or FOX? Unless its an Internet site with blogs full of people's opinions then the poor troop is ignorant as to the environment he exists in? What even are you talking about now?


    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    However,,, the idea that this Administration has "Ordered" the "Isolation" of our Military from the American Network,,,should worry you. [/COLOR]
    This administration has done exactly what the military wanted. It has ordered nothing that wasn't already happening over the course of years. Month month, the lists of banned and unathorized sites grew and grew. Marines don't need the Internet to find out what is going on in the "Real World." It is a luxury and it is not completely shut down. Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook are blog sights and these type sites have been banned for years. They are even banned on government computers here in the United States. But since the troop can get any type of news he wishes from many sources....what exactly conostitutes "censorship" or isolationalism?" You have yet to answer this.

    I'm starting to believe that you truly aren't getting this and not playing an act.
    Last edited by MSgt; 08-07-09 at 06:26 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  2. #72
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    Because nobody can possibly get their real world news from CNN, ABC, or FOX? Unless its an Internet site with blogs full of people's opinions then the poor troop is ignorant as to the environment he exists in? What even are you talking about now?




    This administration has done exactly what the military wanted. It has ordered nothing that wasn't already happening over the course of years. Month month, the lists of banned and unathorized sites grew and grew. Marines don't need the Internet to find out what is going on in the "Real World." It is a luxury and it is not completely shut down. Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook are blog sights and these type sites have been banned for years. They are even banned on government computers here in the United States. But since the troop can get any type of news he wishes from many sources....what exactly conostitutes "censorship" or isolationalism?" You have yet to answer this.

    I'm starting to believe that you truly aren't getting this and not playing an act.
    It's best I let your "Words" stand, at face value...
    Last edited by Realist1; 08-07-09 at 06:45 PM.

  3. #73
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Wasn't something like this done when GWB was in office?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #74
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,021

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Wasn't something like this done when GWB was in office?
    This has been happening since 2004. I have tried to explain this to this guy, but he refuses to acknowledge it. Blogs, streaming video sites, porn sites, and civilian e-mail sites such as hotmail are unauthorized due to bandwidth complications, viruses, and intelligence leaks. President Obama has done nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, this is a military decision.

    They also cannot bring their cell phones across the ocean either because they are not secure and they risk giving away positions. If he is going to complain about security considerations as a way of "controlling" or "censoring" or "isolating" our troops then surely he would go as far as to criticize the denial of cell phones as well for the same reason.

    All he's doing is political bashing and using the troops to do it. It pisses me off because it ultimately places the military in the spotlight for nothing.
    Last edited by MSgt; 08-07-09 at 08:28 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  5. #75
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    This has been happening since 2004. I have tried to explain this to this guy, but he refuses to acknowledge it. Blogs, streaming video sites, porn sites, and civilian e-mail sites such as hotmail are unauthorized due to bandwidth complications, viruses, and intelligence leaks. President Obama has done nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, this is a military decision.

    They also cannot bring their cell phones across the ocean either because they are not secure and they risk giving away positions. If he is going to complain about security considerations as a way of "controlling" or "censoring" or "isolating" our troops then surely he would go as far as to criticize the denial of cell phones as well for the same reason.

    All he's doing is political bashing and using the troops to do it. It pisses me off because it ultimately places the military in the spotlight for nothing.

    I thought that it had been going on for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #76
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    This has been happening since 2004. I have tried to explain this to this guy, but he refuses to acknowledge it. Blogs, streaming video sites, porn sites, and civilian e-mail sites such as hotmail are unauthorized due to bandwidth complications, viruses, and intelligence leaks. President Obama has done nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, this is a military decision.

    They also cannot bring their cell phones across the ocean either because they are not secure and they risk giving away positions. If he is going to complain about security considerations as a way of "controlling" or "censoring" or "isolating" our troops then surely he would go as far as to criticize the denial of cell phones as well for the same reason.

    All he's doing is political bashing and using the troops to do it. It pisses me off because it ultimately places the military in the spotlight for nothing.
    Look Sarge,,,I work for a Defense Corp that sets up Networks aboard Some of our ships. So I have some background on Secure Networks... Agreed,,,there are real concerns in certain aspects of the Internet. What I'm against is the Mandatory Censorship set in place. There's easy enough ways to make sure you have an isolated Network set up strictly indendent of the Military Network...

    I support the Troops. And,,,Freedom.

  7. #77
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,021

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Look Sarge,,,I work for a Defense Corp that sets up Networks aboard Some of our ships. So I have some background on Secure Networks... Agreed,,,there are real concerns in certain aspects of the Internet. What I'm against is the Mandatory Censorship set in place.
    You have yet to show where "censorship" is the issue. Just what is it about the world is being kept from the troop by banning twitter?

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  8. #78
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    You have yet to show where "censorship" is the issue. Just what is it about the world is being kept from the troop by banning twitter?

    Look Sarge, since you've shown yourself incapable of holding a conversation without "Censoring" my Lines, on Censorship,,, we'll agree to disagree.

    Fare well.

  9. #79
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,021

    Re: Marines Ban "Selected" Websites....

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    Look Sarge, since you've shown yourself incapable of holding a conversation without "Censoring" my Lines, on Censorship,,, we'll agree to disagree.

    Fare well.
    I'm having too much fun with you. Well, you appear to continue to be in the dark on what the meaning of "censorship" is, which is why you seem to keep using this word erroniously in regards to Internet security overseas (and in CONUS?).

    Censorship is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor.Censorship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Since everything you write is clearly preserved within your posts, how are you being censored? Simply because I choose to respond to the pertinent parts inside your ramblings, doesn't mean censorship of any kind. With this being said, how is "censorship" affecting what you have written and what the troops have to do in order to ensure greater security in their networks? Since everybody can read what you write and any troop can find out any kind of information he wants by other means...where is the "censorship?"

    Balls in your court again. It's a game you started.
    Last edited by MSgt; 08-09-09 at 04:57 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •