Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

  1. #11
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Excuse me?
    I think it was an incredibly gracious gesture, in light of the fact that Gates is the victim in this story, as much as the white cops would like to paint themselves as the victims. And that this neighbor's racist assumptions prompted the call that set the whole machinery in motion.
    A black officer backs Crowley. Case closed. Gates played the fool.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Wendy Murphy, attorney and spokeswoman for Lucia Whalen, said today that Gates had sent her client a bouquet of flowers as an "expression of gratitude.'' Murphy, who is not a gardener, said she believed it was a bouquet of tulips. The flowers came with a note from Gates, the contents of which Murphy would not disclose.
    What a classy and lovely thing to do.

    Can we draw a line under this episode now?


  3. #13
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    After reading the posts here Gates has succeeded in the goal behind this empty gesture.

    What goal you say? Simple lets review the facts. Gates was yelling and screaming discrimination even after he was released and the charges dropped what was he saying? He said if he received the right apology he'd forgive Sgt. Crowley. Obama had stuck his foot in his mouth and the whole race angle was in his favor.But only in his and Obama's minds.
    The 9-11 tapes were released and a black officer on the scene came out and said there was nothing racist about the arrest.
    Obama was exposed as a racist Gates was well know for his racist comments that were coming back to haunt him and the whole poor me I'm a picked on black man thing fell apart.
    Next Obama came out and did his no apology, apology and invited Sgt. Crowley and Gates to have a beer hoping to end the whole controversy. So they held the photo op and Sgt. Crowley turned out to be the only class act there when he helped gates on some stairs.
    I believe that Gates realized upon reflection that he had done himself, Obama and his racist cause more harm than good and took a page out of Obama's play book and figured he divert attention away from the central facts and make himself into be something he's never up to now been know for. That being a magnanimous nice old guy.
    I will go one step farther and speculate that it is possible this whole look contrite gesture by sending flowers idea came from Obama's handlers because it will help to soften the whole ugly story.
    You may disagree but I smell politics all over this.

  4. #14
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    After reading the posts here Gates has succeeded in the goal behind this empty gesture.

    What goal you say? Simple lets review the facts. Gates was yelling and screaming discrimination even after he was released and the charges dropped what was he saying? He said if he received the right apology he'd forgive Sgt. Crowley. Obama had stuck his foot in his mouth and the whole race angle was in his favor.But only in his and Obama's minds.
    The 9-11 tapes were released and a black officer on the scene came out and said there was nothing racist about the arrest.
    Obama was exposed as a racist Gates was well know for his racist comments that were coming back to haunt him and the whole poor me I'm a picked on black man thing fell apart.
    Next Obama came out and did his no apology, apology and invited Sgt. Crowley and Gates to have a beer hoping to end the whole controversy. So they held the photo op and Sgt. Crowley turned out to be the only class act there when he helped gates on some stairs.
    I believe that Gates realized upon reflection that he had done himself, Obama and his racist cause more harm than good and took a page out of Obama's play book and figured he divert attention away from the central facts and make himself into be something he's never up to now been know for. That being a magnanimous nice old guy.
    I will go one step farther and speculate that it is possible this whole look contrite gesture by sending flowers idea came from Obama's handlers because it will help to soften the whole ugly story.
    You may disagree but I smell politics all over this.
    Maybe, maybe not. None of us will know with 100% certainty. However, I'm willing to bet that, whatever the motive behind the gesture, it surely brightened this woman's day, and that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by hiswoman; 08-01-09 at 09:46 AM.




    Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words.
    ~ Francois Rabelais

  5. #15
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. None of us will know with 100% certainty. However, I'm willing to bet that, whatever the motive behind the gesture, it surely brightened this woman's day, and that's good enough for me.
    There is no question that you are right in your assessment that the reaction of Wendy Murphy will be one of; "Oh isn't that nice". But it only adds to getting Gates closer to being thought of as misunderstood rather than the truth.
    I'm sorry I have been in and around politics and the spin media business too long not to look behind the curtain on all such stories and issues. It's not about a conspiracy it's about damage control and covering your ass any way possible and playing on peoples emotions and wanting to see the best in everyone is part of the game. I know I've seen it for more than 40 years.
    Last edited by Councilman; 08-01-09 at 10:52 AM.

  6. #16
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    A black officer backs Crowley. Case closed. Gates played the fool.
    Are you saying that the race of the officer that backs him matters?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #17
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Are you saying that the race of the officer that backs him matters?
    I know your question was aimed at American but the race of the Officer who backs Sgt. Crowley is crucial to the credibility of the story that all the racism was in Gates court and none what so ever was used on the part of the Sgt. A white officer backing him would have been greeted with statements like: Well what do you expect from a fellow white racist or some other such nonsense, or worse.
    Last edited by Councilman; 08-01-09 at 11:00 AM.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    But it only adds to getting Gates closer to being thought of as misunderstood rather than the truth.
    The truth? You, who viewed this whole sorry episode from the comforting distance of the Internet and Cable TV, are privy to the truth?????

    Bub, ain't none of us privy to the "truth" of what happened--not even Gates and Crowley, and they were there.

    I know what I believe to be the case....but I'm also smart enough to know that what I believe about this is opinion only, and not fact--it damn sure is not "the truth".

    Gates made a nice gesture towards a caring neighbor. That's a good thing. No need in analyzing it further.

  9. #19
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Did Gates himself ever make that claim throughout this whole ordeal?
    The police report indicated that when the police arrived at the scene, Whalen described what appeared to be 'two black males' attempting to enter the house. Whalen subsequently said she didn't mention race in the 9/11 call or to the police.

    Having done hundreds of witness interviews myself, such contradictions are not at all unusual. And who among us after the fact remembers everything we said and/or exactly how we said in in an excitable moment. The police report would have been written shortly after the incident when the memories were fresher, and I tend to think the police officers' recollection was probably better than Whalen's. In either case that really doesn't have much bearing on the case.

    Whalen subsequently was upset that media accounts seemed to portray her as accusing two black guys, when she does not recall that being an issue for her.

    I'm not sure what all Gates accused anybody of during his more excitable period during all this. But it was classy of him to send her flowers as an apology for any distress she suffered when all she was doing was being a responsible citizen on his behalf.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #20
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Gates sends flowers to woman who called the police

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The police report indicated that when the police arrived at the scene, Whalen described what appeared to be 'two black males' attempting to enter the house. Whalen subsequently said she didn't mention race in the 9/11 call or to the police.
    Actually, the 911 transcript backs up her recollection. She had to be prodded by the dispatcher to describe the suspects' ethnicity, and indicated one of them was "Hispanic".

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Whalen subsequently was upset that media accounts seemed to portray her as accusing two black guys, when she does not recall that being an issue for her.
    It was not. The 911 transcript proves that absolutely. She even went so far as to speculate that it was possible that the people forcing the door might be the lawful residents--she was unsure, which was why she made the 911 call.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I'm not sure what all Gates accused anybody of during his more excitable period during all this. But it was classy of him to send her flowers as an apology for any distress she suffered when all she was doing was being a responsible citizen on his behalf.
    I agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •