Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    That's like Bill Clinton teaching a course on sexual ethics, or Ted Kennedy teaching Drivers' Ed.
    Or George W. Bush or Sarah Palin teaching basic civics
    or economics
    ...geography...
    ...business management...
    ...U.S. History and Government...

    You far-righters need to focus more on people's actions and less on their political speeches... maybe then you'd see the flaws in some of your own 'leaders' and have a better chance of reinventing your party in an intelligent and meaningful way.

  2. #32
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    If I can make 20% on a $1000 or make 7% on a billion ill take the 7%
    Sure, we all would, but this also denotes that the profits aren't going straight to the insurance company, the 7% is the very bottom line, this is after liabilities are paid, including loans, regulatory, salaries, and other expenses, it's similar yet different for any viable business. Plus, the major health insurers are publicly traded companies, so the 7% left of the billion net profit will now be divided by the shareholders and else reinvested, so if you could get all of the 20% if 1000$ personally, or
    .0065% of the 7% of the billion dollars which then looks nicer?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Sure, we all would, but this also denotes that the profits aren't going straight to the insurance company, the 7% is the very bottom line, this is after liabilities are paid, including loans, regulatory, salaries, and other expenses, it's similar yet different for any viable business. Plus, the major health insurers are publicly traded companies, so the 7% left of the billion net profit will now be divided by the shareholders and else reinvested, so if you could get all of the 20% if 1000$ personally, or
    .0065% of the 7% of the billion dollars which then looks nicer?
    Id take the 7% on a billion like anybody would and bulid a golden parachute.

  4. #34
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Id take the 7% on a billion like anybody would and bulid a golden parachute.
    Sure, but this assumes the 7% is going to a single person/entity, it's never that simple.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Sure, but this assumes the 7% is going to a single person/entity, it's never that simple.
    So why play the percentage game?

  6. #36
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    They honor the terms of the contract, and no more than the terms of the contract. Just like any sane business.

    There is no villainy in honoring the terms of the contract. Only folks who whine about that are those who expect what they haven't paid for.
    ... I can think of at least three reasons why that is a meaningless objection.

  7. #37
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Pelosi slams insurers as "immoral" villains

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So why play the percentage game?
    Because the percentages are how business guages where it stands. If a business makes a net profit of, to keep it simple 1K a month, if it is only taking in 6% of that, it means that the operating expenses or other factors, both regulatory and non-regulatory are causing a strain on bottom line dollars, if a percentage drops too low, people start to be downsized, stocks start to devalue, etc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •