Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

  1. #31
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Instead of attempting all this social engineering with higher taxes on cigarettes, fast food, sodas and so on, why don't we just remove the barriers employer's, insurers, and for that matter medicare faces to actually pricing coverage based on the risks associated with ones life choices.

    For example, instead of taxing sodas more, why not just allow employers to charge obese employees more for their health coverage? Right now, you can be a 300 pound smoker and pay the same rate for your healthcare through your employer as a fit employee that exercises daily. In effect, your poor life choices are simply subsidized by them. The same is true with Medicare. If your overweight or a smoker, statistically your going to cost to the system far more in the future than a non-smoker and fit individual, so why not increase their payroll taxes to pay for the costs of their lifestyle choices rather than passing them on to others that made better life choices.

    It seems to me that makes a lot better sense and would be a lot more effective than all these social experiments in the form of "sin taxes" we have now are.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #32
    Guru
    DamnYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,009

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    There's something not right with a fat ass surgeon general and all this obesity thing. Call me silly.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Soda tax could combat obesity?

    Be for real. Nothing's more obese than the federal budget, and for every dollar it gets in taxes it spends two, so taxing soft drinks will balloon federal obesity.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    What will the left want to tax next? The air we breathe?
    Well, they haven't taxed boogers yet.

    Nor have they taxed underwear skidmarks.

    They're considering a tax on toe jam, but I beleive that's only because the geniuses in Congress think it comes in flavors like grape and strawberry.

    Give'm time, they'll tax everything.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    I drink soda daily and I'm fine with a 3 cent tax. I would disagree that it will have much of a health impact because the tax alone won't deter folks from drinking it. IMO.
    Not one of those crooks wants anyone to drink one ounce less of their favorite beverage, they just want to steal money using false pretenses.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    What I find hilarious is this irony:

    The people demanding taxes on fat foods condemn the airlines for charging fat people more because they take up two or more seats.

    Foods shouldn't be taxed because of some politicians eagerness to regulate dietary choices. That's not why he got elected. For some reason, the leftists think "my body, my choice" is a mantra for acceptable murder of babies, not a rule for limiting government intrusions where murder isn't part of the equation.

    Airplanes should be allowed to set their own rules, and if a whale of a gal wants to fly, and she needs two seats to fit, then she should charged for two seats. It's the airlines airplane, not the government's.

  7. #37
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    That article didn't explain why it was "worse". I stand by what I say, an excess of anything is bad.

    Water is poison to the human body.

    I do like what the article said about don't drink diet soda because you think you will lose weight drinking it.

    You cannot possibly lose weight, effectively, without exercising..

    As I've said in the BMI thread I am against the entire BMI index as an indicator of health.

    Also, I am against "weighing" as an indicator of health. I feel that health should be determined between actual performance evaluations especially endurance-heart-rate ratios.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #38
    Advisor tumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    08-29-16 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    341

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    That article didn't explain why it was "worse". I stand by what I say, an excess of anything is bad.
    Actually it did, but you are chosing not to believe it. It was explained in a simple context without going into a detailed scientific explanation.

    Water is poison to the human body.
    That sounds like a bit of a strawman to me.

    I do like what the article said about don't drink diet soda because you think you will lose weight drinking it.
    While you might not like it, it doesn't change the fact that people could, and do, get the wrong impression that drinking diet soda will contribute to weight loss.

    Although you might think that you will lose a whole lot of weight through drinking diet soda, the truth is that you could end up feeling as though you are losing less weight with regular soda because of the amount of water weight that you could end up gaining from diet soda.
    Sounds reasonable to me. A high sodium intake isn't healthy.

    This is a good point also.

    Diet soda contains Aspartame, which is highly unhealthy for your body- in more ways than one. If you did not already know, ten percent of Aspartame consists of methanol, also known as wood alcohol, which is an extremely deadly poison

    You cannot possibly lose weight, effectively, without exercising..
    You can if you manage your calorie intake correctly.

  9. #39
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    First we heard about the talk of taxes on elective plastic surgery and Botox and now something I predicted many years ago it coming to light. Taxing soda to ostensibly combat obesity. I don't believe it for one minute. I believe there is an all out push to gain more, and more control over the daily lives of Americans and use any means available to achieve that end.
    It's the government engaging in social engineering. It doesn't surprise me.

  10. #40
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: CDC Chief: Soda Tax Could Combat Obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post

    You can if you manage your calorie intake correctly.


    That's absolutely true, but as soon as you slip up for one second all that weight is coming back. You need to lose the weight and rebuild it into muscle.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •