Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

  1. #21
    Cànan a' Gàidheal
    Anima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    West Coast of Scotland
    Last Seen
    06-24-12 @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It is? that is what you are saying..You are basically defending these religious scum for their actions because they are religious and citing the US constitution. You cant have it both ways.. either these nut jobs are murders or they are not because of "religious freedom" and if the later then.. well you got a far more serious problem if someone figures out to legalize murder or drugs because its their "religion".
    I've not seen any religious poster defend this so far, PeteEU. They may have taken issue with the OP's tone regarding religious belief, but no one's denied that this a terrible case, and that the parents must be punished for failing to see care for their child.
    "I'll govern for all the ambitions of Scotland, and for all of the people who imagine that we can live in a better land. This party, the Scottish party, your party, carries your hope, and we shall carry it carefully, and make the nation proud."
    Alex Salmond, First Minister of Scotland, Scottish National Party

  2. #22
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    Sig-worthy. I want to say this every time I read one of your posts.


    Would you like to contribute to the topic?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    We all have beliefs we hold to. Maybe one should consider showing a bit of repect for those of others.
    No, I don't respect beliefs that are demonstrably false.

    Prayer does not cure diabetes.

    There is no cure for diabetes.

    There is a treatment for the symptoms. The negligent parents - should be convicted of negligence, and the whole mob of tearfully preying jerks surrounding them - (no, I did not spell "prey" incorrectly) - , should be convicted as accessories before the fact.

    The story says someone called 911 after the victim stopped breathing.

    That means that person had a telephone available and could have called 911 when the child was still alive.

  4. #24
    Educator Dogger807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    979

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Perhaps I should have elaborated.

    I condem the actions of the parents.

    But I also was put off by the tone of the OP, which seemd to show disdain for people holding beliefs other than the posters own.
    I've never hid my disdain for people basing their actions on superstition. I'll respect beliefs that I don't agree with if you have facts to back them up. That said, I'm done with respecting beliefs simply because another person has unfounded faith in them.

    Please note, I am quiet capable of separating a persons beliefs from his/her character. Take Ray Comfort for an example. He's a nice, likable, friendly person. His beliefs, however, are moronic.

    Give me a reason to respect your beliefs and I will. Faith is not a reason. In fact faith is a lack of reason.
    Ignorance is the refuge of faith
    It's become very apparent that there is nothing respectable about faith
    "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    We all have beliefs we hold to. Maybe one should consider showing a bit of repect for those of others.
    I have absolutely no respect for the beliefs of parents that allowed their child to die in this manner.

    That doesn't mean the way they practiced their religion is the same that everyone else practices the same religion so I am not blaming the religion on this one I am blaming the parents.

    However, no, I do not have to respect it. I may have to tolerate it, but I don't have to respect it.

  6. #26
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    If I was sitting on their jury, I wouldn't be able to cast a guilty vote on a felony offense, because they had no intent to harm her.
    Their clear intent, because of their beliefs, as misguided as they are, was to help.

  7. #27
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    If I was sitting on their jury, I wouldn't be able to cast a guilty vote on a felony offense, because they had no intent to harm her.
    Their clear intent, because of their beliefs, as misguided as they are, was to help.
    That's why they charged the parents with reckless homicide - a crime of which they are guilty.

    Source [US Legal | Reckless Homicide] (Local definitions will vary)

    The following is an example of a state statute defining reckless homicide:

    " Involuntary Manslaughter and Reckless Homicide.

    1. person who unintentionally kills an individual without lawful justification commits involuntary manslaughter if his acts whether lawful or unlawful which cause the death are such as are likely to cause death or great bodily harm to some individual, and he performs them recklessly, except in cases in which the cause of the death consists of the driving of a motor vehicle, in which case the person commits reckless homicide.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 07-31-09 at 01:34 PM.

  8. #28
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    That's why they charged the parents with reckless homicide - a crime of which they are guilty.

    Source [US Legal | Reckless Homicide] (Local definitions will vary)
    Even though I believe in the rule of law, I disagree with that very concept of this law because of intent.
    I have no problem with a minor punishment being implemented, but nothing as great as as a sentencing structure that allows for up to 25 years imprisonment for something that wasn't intended.

  9. #29
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Even though I believe in the rule of law, I disagree with that very concept of this law because of intent.
    I have no problem with a minor punishment being implemented, but nothing as great as as a sentencing structure that allows for up to 25 years imprisonment for something that wasn't intended.
    Really? So if I went out, got plastered, got into my car and ran over a loved one of yours, you would be okay with a "minor punishment" because I didn't intend to actually kill anyone?

    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Trial Begins in Girl's Faith-Healing Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogger807 View Post
    Give me a reason to respect your beliefs and I will. Faith is not a reason. In fact faith is a lack of reason.
    You do realize how that statement contradicts itself, don't you?

    Ahh well, more proven and sourced false premises from atheists. Some things never change.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-02-09 at 01:34 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •