Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Iran and the United States have tentatively agreed on a formula that Washington hopes will reduce Tehran's ability to make nuclear arms by committing it to ship to Russia much of the material needed for such weapons, diplomats say.
    In another sign of progress, the two diplomats told The Associated Press that negotiators at the December round of nuclear talks drew up for the first time a catalog outlining areas of potential accord and differing approaches to remaining disputes.

    The diplomats said differences still dominate ahead of the next round of Iran-six power talks on Jan. 15 in Geneva. But they suggested that even agreement to create a to-do list would have been difficult previously because of wide gaps between the sides.


    Read more @: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Alas!! Progress made! Right before the GOP brings in these "new sanctions" in diplomatic talks. Hopefully this will make the GOP back down on their hawkish rhetoric about Iran. I mean hell, they have been at it ever since we abadoned the fail policy of the Bush administration with Iran... But hey, of course that "OBAMA SUCKS!!!" crowd will scream and yell, but diplomacy with Iran has broken through, and hopefully it can be taken forward!


  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,292

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Alas!! Progress made! Right before the GOP brings in these "new sanctions" in diplomatic talks. Hopefully this will make the GOP back down on their hawkish rhetoric about Iran. I mean hell, they have been at it ever since we abadoned the fail policy of the Bush administration with Iran... But hey, of course that "OBAMA SUCKS!!!" crowd will scream and yell, but diplomacy with Iran has broken through, and hopefully it can be taken forward! [/FONT][/COLOR]
    You really see progress there? It looks more like the UN is folding and Iran will get the bomb.

  3. #3
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    You really see progress there? It looks more like the UN is folding and Iran will get the bomb.
    Wait the following isnt progress?????
    "shipping out much of the material as tentatively agreed upon" Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks - Diplomacy and Defense Israel News | Haaretz
    "Iran has taken further action to comply with terms of an extended interim nuclear agreement with six world powers, a monthly U.N. atomic agency update on the accord's implementation showed on Monday. The report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), seen by Reuters, made clear that Iran is meeting its commitments under the temporary deal, as it and the major powers are seeking to negotiate a final settlement of their nuclear dispute.
    Iran acts to meet terms of extended nuclear deal with powers: IAEA | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR

    Sooo, yea. Id say thats progress....


  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,292

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wait the following isnt progress?????
    "shipping out much of the material as tentatively agreed upon" Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks - Diplomacy and Defense Israel News | Haaretz
    "Iran has taken further action to comply with terms of an extended interim nuclear agreement with six world powers, a monthly U.N. atomic agency update on the accord's implementation showed on Monday. The report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), seen by Reuters, made clear that Iran is meeting its commitments under the temporary deal, as it and the major powers are seeking to negotiate a final settlement of their nuclear dispute.
    Iran acts to meet terms of extended nuclear deal with powers: IAEA | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR

    Sooo, yea. Id say thats progress....
    I see that we have got nearly none of the points resolved and the tentative agreements leave Iran with a bomb. I really don't think we have gone anywhere, except that the Iranis have gained time and developed long range delivery capabilities for nukes.

  5. #5
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I see that we have got nearly none of the points resolved and the tentative agreements leave Iran with a bomb. I really don't think we have gone anywhere, except that the Iranis have gained time and developed long range delivery capabilities for nukes.
    agreed, reducing enriched uranium stockpiles isn't getting rid of it; nor is reductions in centrifuges.

    Iran is a regional power, will eventually get the bomb, and that means Saudi Arabia will have to buy it from Pakistan or where ever.

    MAD comes to the MidEast ( Mad=Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine)

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,292

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    agreed, reducing enriched uranium stockpiles isn't getting rid of it; nor is reductions in centrifuges.

    Iran is a regional power, will eventually get the bomb, and that means Saudi Arabia will have to buy it from Pakistan or where ever.

    MAD comes to the MidEast ( Mad=Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine)
    The problem with MAD is that it does not work in a multipolar world with short reaction times and poor information. It was iffy enough with only two superpowers and a vast area between them. But we will see nuclear war, if proliferation takes off and we do not have a robust common security system at the global level. As it is forming up, we do not have much time to build the system. And with the Iran negotiations to go by, we do not have a snowballs chance in Hell of survival.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Our government needs a basic course on effective negotiation - from top to bottom.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Obama agrees to do nothing, while Iran agrees to build a nuke. That's progress, alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wait the following isnt progress????? "shipping out much of the material as tentatively agreed upon"
    You seem unclear on what "tentatively" means. Peace 'tentatively' in our time does not mean that war has been avoided.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Iran and U.S. reach tentative agreement in nuclear talks

    The earlier reports appear to have been incorrect or overly optimistic. From Reuters:

    Iran denied on Saturday that it had reached an agreement with the United States to ship its surplus enriched uranium to Russia under new concessions aimed at clinching a comprehensive nuclear deal with six world powers.

    Iran says no deal with U.S. to ship enriched uranium to Russia | Reuters

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •