Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I consider things such as monographs from the National Defense University credible sources. I do not consider links to message board discussions based on fox news reports reliable primary sources.
    That's why I stated News from around the World. This way you can't use the lame excuse of Fox News. Also those from the other Military and Defense sites. As well as Intel Think Tanks.

    But then they do say knowledge is power.....which for myself, I don't mind when others.....seek it not. Not my problem.

  2. #32
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's called fear mongering, it's the preferred action of our current government.
    IF YOU SEE ANYTHING TELL ANYBODY!

    "We might have heard something about something that could happen sometime, somewhere. We're telling anyone. Everybody look for it." - the Government.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    You'd think they would go for something a bit more terrible than causing a localized holiday transportation nightmare.;-)
    This is a very ambitious target. It would take one hell of an explosives network to do more than superficial damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's called fear mongering, it's the preferred action of our current government.
    Now that this info has been made public, people who travel this route regularly can be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

    It's called, "vigilance".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This is a very ambitious target. It would take one hell of an explosives network to do more than superficial damage.
    Greetings, apdst.

    IMO, this is probably not the bridge that is targeted, if indeed one is. They would not announce ahead of time what they plan to do. Why give away their plans when they know we'll be ready for them?

    Merry Christmas to you and yours, apdst! We'll be heading to my D-I-L's house for dinner and gift opening at 1900!

  6. #36
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    If they have a threat and don't take it seriously and something happens, it is a political nightmare like when the FBI did nothing to stop the Boston Bombers despite having been warned about the older brother by Russia.
    OK now what? Shut down traffic or post law enforcement 24/7?

    I think I would fear rust far more than ISIL. I wonder which Mississippi has more of.


  7. #37
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    That's why I stated News from around the World. This way you can't use the lame excuse of Fox News. Also those from the other Military and Defense sites. As well as Intel Think Tanks.

    But then they do say knowledge is power.....which for myself, I don't mind when others.....seek it not. Not my problem.
    3 Yahoos, 2 Townhalls and a 1 Business Times.

    If you want to follow the day to day of ISIL and assign importance to it, that is your choice. I assign importance to other things: 6-8 months is the time frame in which a town has to be held before Stockholm Syndrome takes hold; the reason radical groups are aligning themselves with ISIL in which they have no interest is because they are hoping for access to money, weapons, and bodies to support them back home in their own local fights at some point; ISIL threats will force a final solution on Gaza; how long Sufi will support a group that is destroying Sufi sites remains to be seen; ISIL is a middle eastern problem that can only be cured by middle eastern fighters. The best we can do is marshal large-scale humanitarian relief to curb discontentment and lob some ordinance once in awhile on good information.

  8. #38
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    OK now what? Shut down traffic or post law enforcement 24/7?

    I think I would fear rust far more than ISIL. I wonder which Mississippi has more of.
    IIRC this is the bridge that runs between Memphis down around Beale Street across the river into Arkansas. 40 has a lot of traffic from NC across TN into Arkansas. I don't know where it ends up once it gets into that state. I think it unlikely they could do much damage to it, but if it gives the folks in TN something to make them feel like they are important enough for that bridge to be targeted, they should go stand out in the rain and guard it.

  9. #39
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    "Say What". This don't make sense. The FBI releases a report of a threat by ISIS to a specific target in the US. Yet at the same time they are going to say the threat is anonymous and unsubstantiated. Yet local Authorities are on Alert. What say ye?


    The FBI has warned local authorities of a threat that Islamic State militants would blow up the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge spanning the Mississippi River, an agency spokesman said on Tuesday.

    "This is an unsubstantiated, anonymous threat," he said, adding that there was no useful intelligence arising from it.

    The television station quoted the FBI warning as saying that according to an anonymous tipster, Islamic State had instructed a person in Memphis "to blow up the Memphis-Arkansas bridge on an unknown date, activating ISIS terror cells in the United States.".....snip~

    FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River bridge
    So they waterboarded someone and that person desparately came up with something to get them to stop? Must have heard 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, as he was being dunked.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: FBI warns of Islamic State threat to Mississippi River Bridge.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    3 Yahoos, 2 Townhalls and a 1 Business Times.

    If you want to follow the day to day of ISIL and assign importance to it, that is your choice. I assign importance to other things: 6-8 months is the time frame in which a town has to be held before Stockholm Syndrome takes hold; the reason radical groups are aligning themselves with ISIL in which they have no interest is because they are hoping for access to money, weapons, and bodies to support them back home in their own local fights at some point; ISIL threats will force a final solution on Gaza; how long Sufi will support a group that is destroying Sufi sites remains to be seen; ISIL is a middle eastern problem that can only be cured by middle eastern fighters. The best we can do is marshal large-scale humanitarian relief to curb discontentment and lob some ordinance once in awhile on good information.

    You're not doing so good when it comes to knowing overseas sources or knowing much about ISIS. But then, this isn't surprising when trying to play it off the cuff.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •