Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

Thread: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

  1. #61
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I never said one single word that his involvement in Media Matters (a VERY liberal site, in spite of what you want it to be) disqualified him. My perspective is about this wisdom of choosing him. There are a lot of VERY qualified people out there who don't have the baggage that he does and putting him in this kind of position is simply a piss poor choice due to the amount of flak that it will bring. Why not choose someone just as qualified without the "questionability" that Butler has?? The guy might be 100% qualified, but to choose him means pissing off a lot of people, when there are choices that could have been made that would be just as qualified and wouldn't piss off a lot of people. Now I fully expect that the response I'll get will be something along the lines of: "Any choice the President makes will piss off people.", but that's only because the President has repeatedly made this kind of choices and thus the criticism is well deserved. He could be making choice that people from all sides can get behind, but he repeatedly makes those that are guaranteed to be divisive.
    No it is because no matter what the President does it pisses a certain segment of people off. I would suggest you stop and read your own post and what a ridiculous claim it is you are making. The President should not nominate qualified people he wants into the positions but only appoint qualified people that he may not want but won't piss people off???? Really...that is your standard for political appointments? That is just asinine.

  2. #62
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Is this another faux outrage?
    Is there sand in the Sahara?
    PeteEU

  3. #63
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    No it is because no matter what the President does it pisses a certain segment of people off. I would suggest you stop and read your own post and what a ridiculous claim it is you are making. The President should not nominate qualified people he wants into the positions but only appoint qualified people that he may not want but won't piss people off???? Really...that is your standard for political appointments? That is just asinine.
    The real funny part is that Bush nominated and hired people who were actually totally unqualified and were forced to resign due to incompetence. Michael Brown comes to mind... Bremer is another one that sticks out, but there were many in the Bush administration.
    PeteEU

  4. #64
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,682

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    No it is because no matter what the President does it pisses a certain segment of people off. I would suggest you stop and read your own post and what a ridiculous claim it is you are making. The President should not nominate qualified people he wants into the positions but only appoint qualified people that he may not want but won't piss people off???? Really...that is your standard for political appointments? That is just asinine.
    He should appoint people who are qualified and who aren't guaranteed to piss off a large segment of the population. With the number of highly qualified people available, why choose someone that is going to set off people?? A true LEADER would do exactly that.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  5. #65
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    He should appoint people who are qualified and who aren't guaranteed to piss off a large segment of the population. With the number of highly qualified people available, why choose someone that is going to set off people?? A true LEADER would do exactly that.
    A "large segment of the population" really. What evidence do you have the supports the claim that a large percent of the population even cares about this nomination or even knows about it much less is pissed off about it. That is a ridiculous claim.

    On a slightly different note you claim that being CEO of Media Matters doesn't disqualify him for the job but why do you think anyone would be pissed off about his nomination? Was it because we ran a political consulting firm? Was it because he graduated from a prestigious private law school? Was it because he practiced law for 10 years? Was it because he was involved in several peoples campaigns? Or is it because he was the CEO of Media Matters. Throughout this thread there has been no other qualifications brought up of his, other than by me, other than the fact that he was the CEO of Media Matters. That alone was enough for most of the conservative and libertarian members posting in this thread to disqualify him for the appointment. That is what I find so ridiculous and indefensible.

  6. #66
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,682

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    A "large segment of the population" really. What evidence do you have the supports the claim that a large percent of the population even cares about this nomination or even knows about it much less is pissed off about it. That is a ridiculous claim.

    On a slightly different note you claim that being CEO of Media Matters doesn't disqualify him for the job but why do you think anyone would be pissed off about his nomination? Was it because we ran a political consulting firm? Was it because he graduated from a prestigious private law school? Was it because he practiced law for 10 years? Was it because he was involved in several peoples campaigns? Or is it because he was the CEO of Media Matters. Throughout this thread there has been no other qualifications brought up of his, other than by me, other than the fact that he was the CEO of Media Matters. That alone was enough for most of the conservative and libertarian members posting in this thread to disqualify him for the appointment. That is what I find so ridiculous and indefensible.
    You wnat to make this about Bulter, but I stated clearly and repeatedly that my issue is with the President. Why choose him when there are people who are just as qualified that don't have his baggage?
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  7. #67
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    You wnat to make this about Bulter, but I stated clearly and repeatedly that my issue is with the President. Why choose him when there are people who are just as qualified that don't have his baggage?
    Because he is the President...whether you like it or not. YOU have the problem with the President. I still defy you to prove with anything other than smoke out of south end that "majority of people" are somehow angry or otherwise put off by this nomination. If you have a problem with the President that is yours to deal with. Also if your problem is with the President then you can ALWAYS find an excuse to pissed off about anyone he nominates. That is exactly the argument I was making and now you finally clearly stated it. The problem is not with the fact the Butler was nominated but that President Obama nominated him. There is nothing the President can nor should do to correct that feeling. Nor should he even try.

  8. #68
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,682

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    Because he is the President...whether you like it or not. YOU have the problem with the President. I still defy you to prove with anything other than smoke out of south end that "majority of people" are somehow angry or otherwise put off by this nomination. If you have a problem with the President that is yours to deal with. Also if your problem is with the President then you can ALWAYS find an excuse to pissed off about anyone he nominates. That is exactly the argument I was making and now you finally clearly stated it. The problem is not with the fact the Butler was nominated but that President Obama nominated him. There is nothing the President can nor should do to correct that feeling. Nor should he even try.
    So you're just going to ignore what I posted and instead argue a point that I'm not making...
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  9. #69
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    You wnat to make this about Bulter, but I stated clearly and repeatedly that my issue is with the President. Why choose him when there are people who are just as qualified that don't have his baggage?
    There's no reason why he shouldn't. You weren't likely to like his choice if he appointed the corpse of Ronald Reagan.

    Even if you think it's "rewarding Media Matters" the fact is that Presidents often "reward" folks from their side. That's how the game works.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #70
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,682

    Re: Obama Rewards Media Matters with a Political Nomination: Monitoring ELECTIONS

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There's no reason why he shouldn't. You weren't likely to like his choice if he appointed the corpse of Ronald Reagan.

    Even if you think it's "rewarding Media Matters" the fact is that Presidents often "reward" folks from their side. That's how the game works.
    If the choice creates more division, that's a VERY good reason he shouldn't. There are a lot of folks out there who are just as qualified that wouldn't make things worse, so why make things worse??
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •