Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 116

Thread: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

  1. #61
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Their "different philosophies" is very much an illusion, another tool to trick the voters.

    Their actions while in office (proof is in the pudding) are the real indicator of their philosophies.
    This is very true.

    Although I wouldn't say its even proof of their philosophy's, I would say its proof of who bought em.

    People will do things against their personal philosophy if the moneys right...

  2. #62
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Bullcrap. The left STARTED complaining about Bush and kept complaining until Obama took office, at which point, there were no more complaints about anything the president was doing, including drone strokes, Gitmo, Iraq, new wars, etc. etc. Hypocrisy just reeks from every pore of the left.
    Your obviously steeped in propaganda.

    As I said before, in print, the left continued to complain about Obama. They also did on YouTube news channels. Do some research or better yet stop watching TV for the love of god.

  3. #63
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I know you can count on them to vote directly opposite on virtually all political issues. These politicians are exactly the same in that they vote. They're exactly opposite (right and left) in that they virtually always oppose each other and usually land very predictably on the issues. Except that I can count on a democrat to vote in favor of more gun regulations and a republican to vote against more gun regulations, they're exactly the same. But that I can count on a democrat voting in favor of higher taxes on the rich and a republican against higher taxes on the rich, they're exactly the same. But that I can count on democrats voting for additional means-tested welfare programs and payments and republicans voting against that, they're exactly the same. They are damned near identical on everything except for all the things they oppose each other on.
    You mean like the way Dubya brought us prescription drug coverage in Medicare? Or the assault on the Constitution that is the USA Patriot Act?

    Or that Obama brought us the end of Habeas Corpus?

  4. #64
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    You mean like the way Dubya brought us prescription drug coverage in Medicare? Or the assault on the Constitution that is the USA Patriot Act?

    Or that Obama brought us the end of Habeas Corpus?
    Thank you for pointing out that rules have exceptions.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #65
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    I have always believed that this is so and have always opposed drone targeted assassinations as well as aerial bombings in most unconventional war situations. Was opposed to this when Bush did it and then Obama greatly escalated it.
    Last edited by Eric7216; 12-21-14 at 11:16 AM.

  6. #66
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Your obviously steeped in propaganda.

    As I said before, in print, the left continued to complain about Obama. They also did on YouTube news channels. Do some research or better yet stop watching TV for the love of god.
    You are right about the logical fallacy of over generalizing. But then you commit the logical fallacy yourself by assuming Papa Bull was steeped in propaganda. I would tend to agree with Papa Bull that there seems to be less discussion about Obama war crimes versus Bush war crimes (despite the dramatic increase in drone targeted killings) but that is just a hunch and not "steeped in propaganda. It would be interesting to see a good study about this issue. I just googled "articles about bush war crimes written in 2009" and "articles about obama war crimes written in 2009" and Bush took the championship with 14,400,000 items versus 3,400,000.
    But, yeah, not a scientific poll.

  7. #67
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    You are right about the logical fallacy of over generalizing. But then you commit the logical fallacy yourself by assuming Papa Bull was steeped in propaganda. I would tend to agree with Papa Bull that there seems to be less discussion about Obama war crimes versus Bush war crimes (despite the dramatic increase in drone targeted killings) but that is just a hunch and not "steeped in propaganda. It would be interesting to see a good study about this issue. I just googled "articles about bush war crimes written in 2009" and "articles about obama war crimes written in 2009" and Bush took the championship with 14,400,000 items versus 3,400,000.
    But, yeah, not a scientific poll.
    I didn't assume anything he demonstrated it here.

    And in the mass media your right, but in print and other less syndicated news casts wrong. Democracy now for example always covered the fallacy's of the Obama doctrine.

    Also that was 2009. People generally will give a president some leeway in the first six months or so to see what he changes, and that was at the end of the bush presidency so all his war crimes where known.

    If you do bush 2008 and Obama 2010 you get 696,800,000 for bush and 10,800,000 for Obama.

    This also excludes the word drone strikes, which allot of the Obama crimes articles where about.
    Last edited by b_dubz; 12-21-14 at 11:48 AM.

  8. #68
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Wait! Say it aint so? Drone strikes actually are counterproductive and lead to more terrorists and terrorist attacks? [/FONT][/COLOR]
    This is interesting. I recall a study by the RAND corporation stating that there was a negative correlation at best between drone strikes and terrorist attacks, but my guess is that the CIA has access to more/better information than RAND. Drone strikes do have their value, and I do think they are necessary, although (obviously) if we're not using it smartly they aren't going to be much help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #69
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    This is interesting. I recall a study by the RAND corporation stating that there was a negative correlation at best between drone strikes and terrorist attacks, but my guess is that the CIA has access to more/better information than RAND. Drone strikes do have their value, and I do think they are necessary, although (obviously) if we're not using it smartly they aren't going to be much help.
    They have a value in real wars, not this... The only place the belong is in wars, not for executions abroad outside courts and law, and certainly not signature strikes...

  10. #70
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Drone strikes counterproductive, says secret CIA report

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Drones were developed as a tool of war and first used in the field under President Bush, but only in the theater of war...To deny that is partisanship and pointless.
    Actually denying what you said is realistic. It's your post that is partisan and delusional

    bush* used drones to assassinate terrorists outside of war zones years before Obama became president, both with and without permission


    Drone strikes in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Since 2004, the United States government has attacked hundreds of targets in Northwest Pakistan using unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) controlled by the Central Intelligence Agency's Special Activities Division.[21] Most of these attacks are on targets in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas along the Afghan border in Northwest Pakistan.
    Pakistan's Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, has repeatedly demanded an end to the strikes, stating: "The use of drones is not only a continual violation of our territorial integrity but also detrimental to our resolve and efforts at eliminating terrorism from our country".[28] The Peshawar High Court has ruled that the attacks are illegal, inhumane, violate the UN charter on human rights and constitute a war crime
    On drones, Obama is Bush | Opinion | The Seattle Times

    President Bush authorized about 50 non-battlefield drone strikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •