Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 532

Thread: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

  1. #491
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah, name-calling/degredation as opposed to the presentation of any kind of countering logic or data is indeed ad hominem. However, if you wish to make the case that labor is not impacted by basic laws of supply and demand, I would be more than willing to spend a post or two discrediting that claim, if you are willing to attempt to actually defend it beyond trolling.
    I made no such claim. That is a straw man.

    What I was really saying is that the world is far more complicated than your 3 sentence dismissal of labor ever being more valuable than what we currently pay.

    Of course supply and demand exist and have an effect. You just seem to be under the impression that those are the only things that affect the price of labor. "If they were worth more, they'd be paid more!" is a child's way of thinking. The real world is far more complicated.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #492
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    they destroyed collective bargaining. that guts the union.
    No, it didn't. It destroyed the ability of a union to force people to pay it dues against its will. Those people are still free to engage in collective bargaining, and many of them still do. Unions only get "gutted" by RTW to the extent that they were already not serving the workers they claimed to represent.

    That is why RTW is (ironically) actually good for unions long-term; it will force them to adapt and become customer (read: worker) oriented, to provide actual benefit for their charge.

    Okay. I think because you claim to be "pro union" that you are actually "anti freedom". Does that sound like it's an accurate depiction of your stance?

    ...In the meantime, those with intellectual capacity and willingness to appreciate the fact that others are capable of looking at the same set of facts and coming to differing conclusions realize that seeking demagogic handles may provide easy bumper stickers, but rarely results in an accurate depiction of ones' opposition.

    people in good paying, secure jobs are a lot more likely to have an "i've got mine, **** you" attitude
    What, you mean like union members?

    anyway, this thread has taken up enough of my life. i can't believe i spent like fifty pages having to argue for helping people go to college instead of paying them entitlements for life, but there it is. believe whatever you want, and if you don't like unions, i can send you a PM telling you where to move.
    unions have their place. And that place is activity when and where the workers perceive that they are being benefited by using them.

  3. #493
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I made no such claim. That is a straw man.
    you claimed that the point that the basic laws of supply and demand applied to labor was economically illiterate. If you now wish to walk that back, that's fine.

    What I was really saying is that the world is far more complicated than your 3 sentence dismissal of labor ever being more valuable than what we currently pay.
    Oh. Then your response was as accidentally stupid as it was intended to be insulting, because you failed to even suggest a depiction of complexity.

    Of course supply and demand exist and have an effect.
    O wow, no kidding?

    You just seem to be under the impression that those are the only things that affect the price of labor.
    On the contrary, labor has relative elasticity questions, wages are famously "sticky", and law has steering power by creating disparate costs, artificial floors, and (sometimes) ceilings. For example, the decision to legalize 5 million "undocumented" workers will have the effect of increasing the available supply of low-end labor, reducing demand for the more expensive U.S. citizenry that come with all kinds of tax and regulatory cost burdens.

    "If they were worth more, they'd be paid more!" is a child's way of thinking. The real world is far more complicated.
    it is nonetheless correct. IT Security managers don't get paid minimum wage. Know why? Their value added is far greater.

  4. #494
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I made no such claim. That is a straw man.

    What I was really saying is that the world is far more complicated than your 3 sentence dismissal of labor ever being more valuable than what we currently pay.

    Of course supply and demand exist and have an effect. You just seem to be under the impression that those are the only things that affect the price of labor. "If they were worth more, they'd be paid more!" is a child's way of thinking. The real world is far more complicated.
    Just curious, you don't think that jobs each have a definitive and virtually quantifiable worth to whomever is paying the salaries, and that the higher valued workers don't get paid more? I've worked in Corporate America since 1984, and every place I've ever worked, that was and still is exactly the mentality. It isn't a child's way of thinking....big adults think it too.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #495
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,133

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, it didn't. It destroyed the ability of a union to force people to pay it dues against its will. Those people are still free to engage in collective bargaining, and many of them still do. Unions only get "gutted" by RTW to the extent that they were already not serving the workers they claimed to represent.

    That is why RTW is (ironically) actually good for unions long-term; it will force them to adapt and become customer (read: worker) oriented, to provide actual benefit for their charge.



    Okay. I think because you claim to be "pro union" that you are actually "anti freedom". Does that sound like it's an accurate depiction of your stance?

    ...In the meantime, those with intellectual capacity and willingness to appreciate the fact that others are capable of looking at the same set of facts and coming to differing conclusions realize that seeking demagogic handles may provide easy bumper stickers, but rarely results in an accurate depiction of ones' opposition.



    What, you mean like union members?



    unions have their place. And that place is activity when and where the workers perceive that they are being benefited by using them.
    state workers lost their collective bargaining rights in 2005 by executive fiat in; teachers in 2012. yeah, yeah, i know, those evil teachers and their union. don't even bother, because i don't care.

    workers are getting treated like **** because they aren't organized, and now in some places, it wouldn't matter much if they did organize. about the only thing we can do now is to vote against every anti-labor candidate on the ticket. i don't want my kids to have to go broke in college and then get treated like cattle by their employer. and yeah, that **** is happening already.

  6. #496
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    These right to work pro-individual-choice people you mention are nothing but barnacles: they take all of the advantages but offer non of the support.
    :yawn

    I can do it to:

    Unions are nothing but parasites, sucking the lifeblood from the unwilling backs of the worker, taking dues to support high leadership wages and political activity rather than actually work in the interests of their membership.



    Unions are better under RTW conditions because they have to perform. That's why they are so pervasive (for example) in Germany, which has a national RTW law, and also widespread unionization.
    Last edited by cpwill; 12-16-14 at 03:08 PM.

  7. #497
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    So your comment was not only inflated but as inaccurate as you claim the Opensecrets site. Ironic to say the least... Let's flashback to your assertion:

    Double the top 10 unions COMBINED.

    You're links do not support that. In fact, fact checker makes no such assertion and identifies the difficulty in even making the claim the Koch's and the Unions were even in their donations and say
    CHART: Koch Spends More Than Double Top Ten Unions Combined |
    Last edited by HenryChinaski; 12-16-14 at 03:29 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  8. #498
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    state workers lost their collective bargaining rights in 2005 by executive fiat in; teachers in 2012.
    That is fascinating. I had no idea that we had a national RTW law for public sector employees. Could you link that for me? I would love to read about it.

    yeah, yeah, i know, those evil teachers and their union. don't even bother, because i don't care.
    about a third of my family is a member of a teachers union. My main problem with them is the same problem I have with all public sector employees - "Government" should not be an interest group; it is dangerous to government of the people by the people to have groups with the power to instead ensure that we have government by the government for the government.

    workers are getting treated like **** because they aren't organized, and now in some places, it wouldn't matter much if they did organize
    in some places, possibly. In lots of others, there would simply be fewer of them. Who in your workplace are you willing to kick out in the street in order to divert a larger portion of your employers' revenue stream to yourself?

    i don't want my kids to have to go broke in college
    Me neither. That's why I'm actually saving for their expenses, and intend to educate them to approach college wisely, rather than spending $30K a year to get a degree in feminist basketweaving.

    and then get treated like cattle by their employer.
    I don't get treated by cattle by my employer. That is partly due to the fact that I selected a place to work at where I had a good idea of the people, and partly because they know for a fact that I could walk out of here and secure employment elsewhere - they got me here by offering me a raise from my previous employer, who offered me a promotion and a raise in order to stay. By and large, employers that treat good employees like cattle lose those employees to their competition, who then turns around and forces them out of business.

    and yeah, that **** is happening already.
    yeah, it is happening already.

  9. #499
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,133

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is fascinating. I had no idea that we had a national RTW law for public sector employees. Could you link that for me? I would love to read about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    state workers lost their collective bargaining rights in 2005 by executive fiat in; teachers in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    about a third of my family is a member of a teachers union. My main problem with them is the same problem I have with all public sector employees - "Government" should not be an interest group; it is dangerous to government of the people by the people to have groups with the power to instead ensure that we have government by the government for the government.
    they're teaching your ****ing kids. they deserve to not be treated like dog ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    in some places, possibly. In lots of others, there would simply be fewer of them. Who in your workplace are you willing to kick out in the street in order to divert a larger portion of your employers' revenue stream to yourself?
    raise the ****ing price of goods a little. i'm not arguing for a fifty thousand dollar a year base pay at ****ing walmart, i'm arguing for better control over schedules and more access to promotion. for myself, i'd ask for a little better job security. in my industry, everything is fixed duration and independent contract work now. that ****ing sucks. you can't get yourself established in a particular place, and they fire you on the end date even if you do a good job. it sucks, man. it really sucks. i'm likely to lose this job in July. it's only because i kick ass at what i do that i got a year extension.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Me neither. That's why I'm actually saving for their expenses, and intend to educate them to approach college wisely, rather than spending $30K a year to get a degree in feminist basketweaving.
    i've already commented extensively on why i think the education paywall is really bad for the country. refer to earlier posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't get treated by cattle by my employer. That is because they know for a fact that I could walk out of here and secure employment elsewhere - they got me here by offering me a raise from my previous employer, who offered me a promotion and a raise in order to stay. By and large, employers that treat good employees like cattle lose those employees to their competition, who then turns around and forces them out of business.
    yeah, but a lot of people do get treated that way, and it's going to keep getting worse.

  10. #500
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    :yawn

    I can do it to:

    Unions are nothing but parasites, sucking the lifeblood from the unwilling backs of the worker, taking dues to support high leadership wages and political activity rather than actually work in the interests of their membership.



    Unions are better under RTW conditions because they have to perform. That's why they are so pervasive (for example) in Germany, which has a national RTW law, and also widespread unionization.
    More ignorant thinking. The barnacles have to work harder because they have no protections from management thuggery. Union members work at a reasonable pace and don't have to worry about management thuggery.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •