Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 532

Thread: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

  1. #231
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    do you work hard for your employer?
    I am my employer, but what does that have to do with my original question? What is this, twenty questions?

  2. #232
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    Probably not..it would help ''Walmart'' though..the little guys would never get to see a cent..

    And higher prices??..People shop at Walmart because it's cheap..if the prices were raised..Goodbye Walmart..

    There will always be someone cheaper...This is happening a lot in the UK..German companies..Lidl and Aldi..are undercutting our national supermarkets...the quality is superb..and for half the price..
    Superb quality at half the price helps everyone--rich and poor alike.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    suffolk. england
    Last Seen
    12-14-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    345

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Superb quality at half the price helps everyone--rich and poor alike.
    And strangely enough..pay their workers a decent wage..

  4. #234
    Advisor Rentoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Western Tennessee
    Last Seen
    01-20-17 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    there should be a way to move up the ranks, much like in the military. not everyone in the military is a general, but not everyone is a private, either. if i were running the union, that's what i'd ask for instead of unrealistically high base pay.
    There is.

    I myself started as a part time hourly associate. Working less than 32 hours a week, every Saturday and Sunday and evenings. After a year and a half I was made full time, after three years I was promoted to an Hourly Supervisor position and promoted again to a more responsible hourly supervisor position three years after that. Each promotion had a decent pay raise attached to it and my yearly pay raise was not bad either.

    The opportunity to move into salaried management is always there. For those that come to work when scheduled, work hard while there and are always trying to learn more about the job.

    You will find that most of the folks complaining about WalMart are the ones who think they shouldn't have to do anything while they are "at work". They should be able to take as many "smoke breaks" as they desire, and that last as long as they want them to.

  5. #235
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I am my employer, but what does that have to do with my original question? What is this, twenty questions?
    the point is that if you give your employees ample opportunity for promotions and raises, they will be better and more loyal employees. this is what a union should ask for instead of an unrealistically high base pay.

  6. #236
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rentoc View Post
    There is.

    I myself started as a part time hourly associate. Working less than 32 hours a week, every Saturday and Sunday and evenings. After a year and a half I was made full time, after three years I was promoted to an Hourly Supervisor position and promoted again to a more responsible hourly supervisor position three years after that. Each promotion had a decent pay raise attached to it and my yearly pay raise was not bad either.

    The opportunity to move into salaried management is always there. For those that come to work when scheduled, work hard while there and are always trying to learn more about the job.

    You will find that most of the folks complaining about WalMart are the ones who think they shouldn't have to do anything while they are "at work". They should be able to take as many "smoke breaks" as they desire, and that last as long as they want them to.
    i'm for increasing access to upward mobility. and if you consider me to be someone "complaining about walmart," i don't fall under your definition.

  7. #237
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    Probably not..it would help ''Walmart'' though..the little guys would never get to see a cent..

    And higher prices??..People shop at Walmart because it's cheap..if the prices were raised..Goodbye Walmart..

    There will always be someone cheaper...This is happening a lot in the UK..German companies..Lidl and Aldi..are undercutting our national supermarkets...the quality is superb..and for half the price..
    We have Aldi in the US. I would not say that the quality of everything they sell is superb, but they do have good condiments and cheese and dairy products. Their canned food is mostly a miss and their veg is very limited.

  8. #238
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the point is that if you give your employees ample opportunity for promotions and raises, they will be better and more loyal employees. this is what a union should ask for instead of an unrealistically high base pay.
    A union is not required to do such. And besides, Walmart already does that. My question was, "Loyal in what way? Simply by virtue of showing up?" Remember? Are you capable of answering a simple question?

  9. #239
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    We have Aldi in the US. I would not say that the quality of everything they sell is superb, but they do have good condiments and cheese and dairy products. Their canned food is mostly a miss and their veg is very limited.
    Around here, it's mostly the customers speaking German. The Amish shop at Aldi's by the passenger van load.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,885

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    here is a less bias article than the huffpo.

    Wal-Mart managers illegally threatened, intimidated Calif. workers, NLRB judge rules (Video) - Philadelphia Business Journal

    one these workers are not unionized. they did an illegal strike on walmart and should have been fired.
    2. walmart has the right to restrict clothing apparel. in fact every company I have ever worked for has had dress code requirements.

    it is appealing the decision and they should.
    Indeed, and sorry, I am a bit late to the discussion and this may have been said already.
    This is what is important to keep in mind.
    Were these employees scheduled to work? If so, and they didn't show up and protested instead, they failed in their commitment, not the other way around.
    Does WM have a dress code to adhere to? If so, it should be observed. If not, and WM makes it up as they go, it is in the employees right to wear what they wish, although common sense should still prevail.

    What we also must keep in mind in this economic climate is that for every disgruntled employee who seeks higher wages, there will be others who will gladly take their place.
    Of, course we all wish that everyone could make a decent living, based on their qualifications, but we must also face reality.
    If a business is forced to pay higher wages, it will pass the cost onto the consumer and will seek other alternatives, like automation where feasible.

Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •