Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 532

Thread: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

  1. #131
    Advisor Rentoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Western Tennessee
    Last Seen
    01-20-17 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, that's very illegal. When a company does that they wind up paying out through the nose in back pay and fines. Organizing is a protected right.

    If a company is being organized there;s a good reason for it. There's a loggerhead going on about something.
    The fight is about folks who have a belief that they are entitled to whatever they want. People believe that they don't have to earn a good pay rate, they are entitled to one simply because they breath air. I work for a WalMart. I am not management nor even a supervisor (although at one time I was) and I make a decent wage. I have been with the company for 11 years and I honestly cannot remember what my wage was when I started. Well below $10.00 an hour. My schedule is regular, and I am a full time employee. I wasn't when I started, I had to EARN that.

    When you get hired in ANY job they make you a job offer and tell you what your schedule will be and how much pay you will receive. If you have issues with either, DON'T TAKE THE JOB!

  2. #132
    Advisor Rentoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Western Tennessee
    Last Seen
    01-20-17 @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    531

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    I frequently work with or meet with the EEOC folk for our district. And when ongoing case law or examples of bad faith by employers are discussed, Walmart is nearly always mentioned. From overtime pay violations, discrimination, retaliation, etc, Walmart really has shown itself to be a terrible employer.

    I try to avoid the place as much as possible, they are awful...go to Costco instead...they take good care of employees.
    I have known many people who file complaints against the WalMart that I work for. 100% of them are false claims based on their "knowledge" of what can and cannot be asked of them as employees. Most of them are people who want to be paid for doing nothing. Who take the job because after all it's only WalMart, it's not like it's a "real" job. Then they discover that the Company actually expects you to work, to be on time, to show up when you are scheduled. It is a shock to many.

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,741

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, but you're talking about 3 plus percent on $476 billion in revenue. 3% of 10 is a lot less than 3% of 1,000. Costco has 12% margin on $122 million and they're doing fine. Many of their stores are organized. Macy's is at 3%. Many Macy's stores are organized as well. What we'er talking about is volume of sales and walmart might want to let others drink from the well...
    this has been discussed ad nausea. walmart and Costco are not the same they are not where close to the same.
    they have completely different business models and target completely different people.

    most of the people that get into walmart can't afford to shop at Costco.
    it is an apples and oranges comparison.

  4. #134
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,754

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    this has been discussed ad nausea. walmart and Costco are not the same they are not where close to the same.
    they have completely different business models and target completely different people.

    most of the people that get into walmart can't afford to shop at Costco.
    it is an apples and oranges comparison.
    No it isn't: it's the retail goods market. Just like an auto parts store. So - no cigar.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #135
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    No it isn't: it's the retail goods market. Just like an auto parts store. So - no cigar.
    Yes, they both are in the retail business....that you have right. But, they both are targeting different clientele of that same sector.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,357

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, that's very illegal. When a company does that they wind up paying out through the nose in back pay and fines. Organizing is a protected right.

    If a company is being organized there;s a good reason for it. There's a loggerhead going on about something.
    Shutting down a store is illegal? Where?

    So far, Walmart is not being unionzed. And, while I agree that is a reason for the attempt, it does not necessarily follow that the reason has something to do with advantages to employees or company. The most likely beneficiary is the union. Millions of employees contrbuting billions of bucks to the coffers. Union boss gets a new jet and a vacation home in the Bahamas.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,741

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    No it isn't: it's the retail goods market. Just like an auto parts store. So - no cigar.
    you are wrong. it isn't just retail goods market there are vast differences.

    1. Costco charges you to get in. walmart does not.
    it costs either $55 for basic membership or $110 for executive membership.

    Why Can

    they are not the same or even have the same business model.

    no it just goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about.

  8. #138
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rentoc View Post
    I have known many people who file complaints against the WalMart that I work for. 100% of them are false claims based on their "knowledge" of what can and cannot be asked of them as employees. Most of them are people who want to be paid for doing nothing. Who take the job because after all it's only WalMart, it's not like it's a "real" job. Then they discover that the Company actually expects you to work, to be on time, to show up when you are scheduled. It is a shock to many.
    Trust me, I know all about false EEOC charges, I used to be the guy who handled them on the management side (and I have submitted a charge). While there are many claims, the EEOC will litigate for claims that are deemed to be the most valid, it is a tiny percentage of the claims they get. They typically will litigate on the claims they know they will win, and they have won some big ones against Walmart, same with the DOLWage and Hour division.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  9. #139
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you are wrong. it isn't just retail goods market there are vast differences.

    1. Costco charges you to get in. walmart does not.
    it costs either $55 for basic membership or $110 for executive membership.

    Why Can

    they are not the same or even have the same business model.

    no it just goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Costco's charge is worth every penny, especially if you travel and have to buy gas. Costco's in Hawaii charge 20-40 cents less per gallon.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Walmart Threatened Workers For Trying To Organize, Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    the fact that when one gets built, you lose a lot of neat downtown shops.

    I feel that way of all the big chains. As soon as a Lowes or Home Depot or Target etc. comes to town, you can kiss the small guy goodbye. But that's business. The only way to prevent it is to do what Vermont did, and keep them out of the state for years. Funny thing is, the citizens of VT and the lawmakers were so proud of the fact that they kept WalMart out for so long. Next thing you know, they allow 4 of them to open - and guess what? They're the busiest damn stores in the entire state. So there's a demand for them.

    I only shopped there when I was buying diapers and formula, but that's been a while.
    it didn't really hit me until i started spending a lot of time in Chicago. i mean, there are just blocks and blocks and blocks of neat independent stores. my GF and i have eaten at all of these great independent restaurants and shopped for things at specialty stores that you've never heard of. sure, there are some chains around, but most of it is cool little shops, and there's enough foot traffic to keep them in business. reminds me of when i was a really little kid in the 1970s and my own downtown was filled with shops. i kind of miss that.

Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •