Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

  1. #1
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Smith College President Kathleen McCartney thought she was showing solidarity with students protesting racism and police brutality when she sent a campus-wide email with the subject line, "All Lives Matter." But the anti-racism slogan popular with students is actually the more selective "black lives matter."
    Uh oh. Burn the heretic!
    Students were furious and offended, according to Fox News:
    The Daily Hampshire Gazette, which first covered the story, quoted one Smith sophomore, Cecelia Lim, as saying, “it felt like she was invalidating the experience of black lives.”
    In response to student backlash, McCartney apologized in another campus-wide email Friday, saying she had made a mistake “despite my best intentions.”
    She wrote that the problem with the phrase lay in how others had used it.
    “I regret that I was unaware the phrase/hashtag “all lives matter” has been used by some to draw attention away from the focus on institutional violence against Black people,” she wrote.
    In her apology e-mail, McCartney also shared some of the student emails she received.
    She quoted one student as saying: “It minimizes the anti-blackness of this the current situation; yes, all lives matter, but not all lives are being targeted for police brutality. The black students at this school deserve to have their specific struggles and pain recognized, not dissolved into the larger student body."

    A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter' - Hit & Run : Reason.com



    counter point
    Please Stop Telling Me That All Lives Matter*|*Julia Craven





    So is #blacklivesmatter not racist, and #alllivesmatter racist?



    I think it's s PC gone amok world for us to have come to this nonsense.


    Blacklivesmatter is racist, not for why you think. But as soon as subset blacklives from alllives, you start out unequal and separated. Now this is what the race hustlers want, but to suggest that #alllivesmatter is racist, is absurd.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Welcome to today's example of PC foolishness. All lives should matter, but politics does not work that way. Since we cannot be honest about why we are treated differently, we also cannot be honest about why saying "black lives matter" is prejudiced.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    How on earth could anyone argue that police brutality is a "Black Issue"?

    I had a friend put this on FB not that long ago and I think it sums it up pretty good:

    "Let me get this off my chest. I have had way more run ins with the law than the majority of people I know. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown, yellow, or any other color. If you **** up they are gonna **** you up. I have had white cops throw cuffs on me and I have had black cops throw cuffs on me. I have had white cops throw some bull****, trumped up charges on me and I have black cops throw some bull****, trumped up charges on me. What I have learned is this: if they tell you to do something, do it. I don't care what it is. JUST DO IT! It's been my own personal experience that there are some that are good people, but there are more that are power tripping assholes. They are sadistic people who do not care about you being black or white. They only see you as a piece of **** criminal. If you're black you're a thug and if you're white you're a white trash tweeker. We are all pieces of **** in their eyes. Now I'm only speaking about the sadistic, power tripping cops. Again there are good people that wear badges doing good things. But one bad apple ruins the bunch. So to all the good ones I ask you to stand up and speak out against those who shouldn't have the responsibility of protecting and serving. That's the only way to get rid of the bad ones."
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #4
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    All lives don't matter, but the reasons for that shouldn't be arbitrary.

  5. #5
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post

    Non-black kids aren't being killed like black kids are. Of course I'd be just as pissed if cops were gunning down white kids. Duh, but they aren't. White assailants can litter movie theaters and bodies with bullets from automatic weapons and be apprehended alive but black kids can't jaywalk or have toy guns in open carry states?

    There is seemingly no justice for Black life in America. An unarmed Black body can be gunned down without sufficient reasoning and left in the middle of the street on display for hours -- just like victims of lynching. Police brutality is a BLACK issue. This is not an ill afflicting all Americans, but that does not mean you cannot stand in solidarity with us. But standing with us does not mean telling us how we should feel about our community's marginalization. Standing with us means being with us in solidarity without being upset that this is for OUR PEOPLE -- and wanting recognition for yours in this very specific context.

    Telling us that all lives matter is redundant. We know that already. But, just know, police violence and brutality disproportionately affects my people. Justice is not applied equally, laws are not applied equally and neither is our outrage.
    She does make some good points yes, but all lives do matter. I would say that while brutality it is much more common in the black community it still does effect many non black Americans as well which also deserve to be acknowledged.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    counter point
    Please Stop Telling Me That All Lives Matter*|*Julia Craven

    So is #blacklivesmatter not racist, and #alllivesmatter racist?

    I think it's s PC gone amok world for us to have come to this nonsense.

    Blacklivesmatter is racist, not for why you think. But as soon as subset blacklives from alllives, you start out unequal and separated. Now this is what the race hustlers want, but to suggest that #alllivesmatter is racist, is absurd. [/INDENT]
    Well, excuse me for trying to treat everybody equal.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    I get a kick out of this kind of crap. 99% of people in this country have no idea that police harassment is or what its like.

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    How on earth could anyone argue that police brutality is a "Black Issue"?

    I had a friend put this on FB not that long ago and I think it sums it up pretty good:

    "Let me get this off my chest. I have had way more run ins with the law than the majority of people I know. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown, yellow, or any other color. If you **** up they are gonna **** you up. I have had white cops throw cuffs on me and I have had black cops throw cuffs on me. I have had white cops throw some bull****, trumped up charges on me and I have black cops throw some bull****, trumped up charges on me. What I have learned is this: if they tell you to do something, do it. I don't care what it is. JUST DO IT! It's been my own personal experience that there are some that are good people, but there are more that are power tripping assholes. They are sadistic people who do not care about you being black or white. They only see you as a piece of **** criminal. If you're black you're a thug and if you're white you're a white trash tweeker. We are all pieces of **** in their eyes. Now I'm only speaking about the sadistic, power tripping cops. Again there are good people that wear badges doing good things. But one bad apple ruins the bunch. So to all the good ones I ask you to stand up and speak out against those who shouldn't have the responsibility of protecting and serving. That's the only way to get rid of the bad ones."
    So all lives matter with the exception of the majority of cops? I wonder what other profession people are fine with claiming that, if there's a single bad one, it makes them all bad? I guess that's just a convenient way to just dismiss any good thing any cop ever does. I like how he's all, "I'm only talking about the sadistic bad ones" when he said earlier that he thinks that's the large majority of cops.
    Last edited by X Factor; 12-11-14 at 10:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So all lives matter with the exception of the majority of cops? I wonder what other profession people are fine with claiming that, if there's a single bad one, it makes them all bad? I guess that's just a convenient way to just dismiss any good thing any cop ever does. I like how he's all, "I'm only talking about the sadistic bad ones" when he said earlier that he thinks that's the large majority of cops.
    I don't agree that its the large majority of cops. However, there are some people that get into law enforcement that do not have the temperament for it and race has nothing to do with it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: A College President Had to Apologize for Saying 'All Lives Matter'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I don't agree that its the large majority of cops. However, there are some people that get into law enforcement that do not have the temperament for it and race has nothing to do with it.
    That's a fair comment. I agree with you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •