Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 451

Thread: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

  1. #301
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    From the report : "Majid Khan’s ‘lunch tray’ consisting of hummus, pasta, with sauce, nuts and raisins was ‘pureed’ and rectally infused." That's not honorable. Thank God you're not an American.
    I find it telling that in each comment you've directed my way you find a need to personally insult me for my views. Unfortunately, you're not alone in your style of debate.

    I disagree with your position, however, as I said previously, you're entitled to your view. Have a good day.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #302
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    So where do you stand on the RAF fire bombing of dresden in WW2 or the atom bomb drops on Japan?
    Myh brother in law is British, and both of us are military history buffs, so we talk on military history stuff alot. I enjoy it because you get a somewhat different look at views of history than you get from Americans. And almost any time WW2 comes up in out talks, he mentions Dresden and he gets pissed. He is highly embarrassed that his home country was a major part of that, calling it "unnecessary and evil". It is kinda hard to disagree with that point of view. Hiroshima and Nagasaki where probably the same, though I think the case is less good for such. The sad truth however is that the targeting of civilians was done by every side on WW2, and I am thankful we have gotten better.

    Sorry for the rambling answer, but that is just how my mind works sometimes. The more straightforward answer would be that targeting civilians is wrong, was wrong at the time, was done at the time, and I cannot change what was done back then, and it is hard to work up a whole lot of outrage for events 70 years done. Much like with the events in the report being discussed in this thread, I hope we learn and act better in the future.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #303
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Myh brother in law is British, and both of us are military history buffs, so we talk on military history stuff alot. I enjoy it because you get a somewhat different look at views of history than you get from Americans. And almost any time WW2 comes up in out talks, he mentions Dresden and he gets pissed. He is highly embarrassed that his home country was a major part of that, calling it "unnecessary and evil". It is kinda hard to disagree with that point of view. Hiroshima and Nagasaki where probably the same, though I think the case is less good for such. The sad truth however is that the targeting of civilians was done by every side on WW2, and I am thankful we have gotten better.

    Sorry for the rambling answer, but that is just how my mind works sometimes. The more straightforward answer would be that targeting civilians is wrong, was wrong at the time, was done at the time, and I cannot change what was done back then, and it is hard to work up a whole lot of outrage for events 70 years done. Much like with the events in the report being discussed in this thread, I hope we learn and act better in the future.
    Is there really a "right" way to conduct war? Should we ever even enter a war without the intent to win it outright? It's a little scary to me that if events occurred now similar to the 30s and 40s, we would not have anyone with the intestinal fortitude or resolve to actually end the war and if war is actually brought to our soil? Well God help us then if we're not permitted to do anything necessary to repel that.

  4. #304
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Is there really a "right" way to conduct war?
    Yes, there is. There are laws and rules in place for the conduct of war, and those involved in a war should be held to those rules.

    Should we ever even enter a war without the intent to win it outright?
    You do not need to violate the law to win a war.

    It's a little scary to me that if events occurred now similar to the 30s and 40s, we would not have anyone with the intestinal fortitude or resolve to actually end the war and if war is actually brought to our soil? Well God help us then if we're not permitted to do anything necessary to repel that.
    Niether the events mentioned in the post I replied to, nor the events that brought us to wars in Afghanistan and Iraq fit that description so I have no idea what point you think you are making.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #305
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    10-27-17 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    492

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, there is. There are laws and rules in place for the conduct of war, and those involved in a war should be held to those rules.
    I find this concept strange. You are trying to kill people in order to get your way on something, but as long as everyone obeys the agreed upon rules there's no problem? This is an absurd notion. To quote(or paraphrase if I'm rusty) Pirates of the Caribbean... "In a fair fight I would have killed you... Then that's not much incentive to fight fair, is it?" YOU ARE TRYING TO KILL PEOPLE, and THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL YOU!!! How can any discussion of war claim that killing with fire is worse than killing with bullets, or that you have to stop TRYING to kill the other person when they are disarmed, or honoring cease-fires etc.? This isn't a debate, it's WAR!
    I remember a story I read about a "dishonorable" attack during a war in which the enemy attacked (and massacred) a British regiment who was unprepared because it was teatime and they were all having biscuits.
    The only "right" way to wage war is to fight for righteous causes and protect those you are serving in the first place.

  6. #306
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You quoted Rumsfeld on the afternoon of 9/11 and I answered that scenario. The level of evidence years later is irrelevant to the reaction of the Defense Secretary on the very day of the 9/11 attacks.
    The neocons in the Bush administration were actively looking for a connection to Iraq, rather than following the evidence, and trying to formulate a basis for war immediately after the attacks.

    Rumsfeld's 'How To Start' Memo:


  7. #307
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    The neocons in the Bush administration were actively looking for a connection to Iraq, rather than following the evidence, and trying to formulate a basis for war immediately after the attacks.

    Rumsfeld's 'How To Start' Memo:

    Your obsession with Rumsfeld and the boogieman under the bed is "darling".
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #308
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Your obsession with Rumsfeld and the boogieman under the bed is "darling".
    Says the guy who stills supports attacking the 'boogiemen' in Iraq as a valid and responsible reaction to 9/11. Yes, those were honorable actions of honorable men. Dismissed.

  9. #309
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Says the guy who stills supports attacking the 'boogiemen' in Iraq as a valid and responsible reaction to 9/11. Yes, those were honorable actions of honorable men. Dismissed.
    Not just honorable men, honorable women too - many in the Democrat Party.

    But don't let me get in the way of your revisionist history lesson - it's quite entertaining.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #310
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: John McCain CIA Torture Report Senate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Not just honorable men, honorable women too - many in the Democrat Party.

    But don't let me get in the way of your revisionist history lesson - it's quite entertaining.
    I'm not a Democrat, and any Democrat who fell for the Neocon Hustle wouldn't get my vote if I were an American. But then again, I have principles.

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •