Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 391

Thread: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

  1. #91
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Agreed.

    If the subjects don't lock their heels and bow their head before our authority figures, where will the authoritarian state be then?

    Sieg heil!!!
    Who was it, in New York/New York City that passed the laws that caused Garner's and Ramsey's actiions to be illegal and bringing the police into their lives? Hint: It wasn't Conservatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    This doesn't look good for the NYPD huh? What do you think about this guy who took the video of Garner? Is he telling stories or the truth?


    Ramsey Orta, the man who filmed New York City Police Officer Daniel Pantaleo applying a fatal chokehold to Eric Garner on July 17, was indicted by a grand jury in Staten Island, New York.



    According to the Staten Island Advance, Orta was indicted on weapons charges after an arrest on Aug. 2 in the St. George neighborhood of Staten Island. "They lying on me, they doing me wrong," said Orta after he pleaded not guilty in August, noted the New York Daily News. "I've been harassed by the police since this whole video." Orta's mother told CBS New York that police had been following her son ever since he filmed Garner's death (video below).....snip~

    Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video)
    The real story here, IMO, isn't the fact that he was indicted while the cop was not, but rather the (intentionally) misleading headline. This headline is flat-out lying-by-omission. The headline implies that this indictment was part of the same case as the Eric Garner case. It is not. It is completely separate and distinct. The two cases have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Yeah, I kind of thought a negligence charge would apply. It's not that I think the police were necessarily guilty of anything but bad judgement, but that I think the secrecy of the GJ works against the better interests of both the public and the police in this case. The civil suit is a given.

    Oh there is definitely a bad call here. That cop made the wrong call and did show the judgment that he acted upon.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The real story here, IMO, isn't the fact that he was indicted while the cop was not, but rather the (intentionally) misleading headline. This headline is flat-out lying-by-omission. The headline implies that this indictment was part of the same case as the Eric Garner case. It is not. It is completely separate and distinct. The two cases have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
    Mornin' Radcen. There were others.....and I did post up the Wrap due to the info they had over the MS Media.

    Also, I was looking for something that mentioned this guys wife and how she was arrested too.

  5. #95
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin Joko. Resisting arrest.....they already acknowledged that Garner knocked the one officers arms away.
    Good morning to you too.

    Knock the officer's arm away isn't resisting arrest.

    The requirement for resisting arrest is first the person is told s/he is under arrest. I have yet to see that he was. In fact, all accounts I have read including what the officer said was that he was trying to detain Garner for an investigation of selling cigarettes illegally. Detaining someone is not the same as arresting someone, and again first he had to be told he was being detained before he could be resisting detainment.

    IF that standard is met - telling him - only then do you reach the question of what may an officer do it a person is resisting arrest.

    IF that had been done and if he was "resisting" - comes the question of what to do next. What about sneak up behind him and hit him in the head with a club? What about the other officer kicking him in the groin? Jabbing him in the eyes?

    What was done was an officer snuck up behind him and jumped up on his back by surprise, with his arm around Garner's throat. To no surprise, Garner stumbled backwards, pressing the officer against a pane of glass - for which that officer now not only was endangering Garner's life, but his own. According to the officer, at that point he began a choke hold fearing for his own life that the window pane would break. Of course, that also meant there was fear to fear for Garner's life from that glass too.

    From there other officers rushed Garner.

    Jumping on Garner's back and with an arm around his neck was a violent, physical assault. The question then being was it a legal violent physical assault? It is acknowledged his assault was in violation of well known police policy. Violating police policy isn't a crime, but it does challenge whether he was rightly acting as a police officer. That policy prohibited assault - according to the officer - immediately endangered his own life and that of Garner. Ultimately, the coroner (an expert and not an anti-police person) rules on an autopsy that this assault's choke hold is what killed Garner. Thus, the officer's surprise assault from behind - an assault contrary to police policy - was a lethal assault.

    it is from that the call for manslaughter/murder charges were called for by many people. I don't agree. I think the officer should have been charged with reckless endangerment and official oppression. Reckless endangerment because his police policy prohibited assault endangers his and Garner's life by the officer's own statement. Since this violated departmental policy and was an assault, he was wrongly acting under the color of his uniform/badge.

    Anyway, that's my opinion.

  6. #96
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Listening to him talk on his video, I get the impression that he isn't the biggest fan of the cops in the first place. I would wager if you asked him before the video if cops ever "harassed" him, the answer would still be yes.
    Is it difficult for you to understand how he might not be a fan of the cops?

    It is about the same thing as why an Afghani might not be a fan of the US after his village, including friends and family, is droned by the US.

    Not rocket science, just predictable human behavior.

    The cops are protectors of the status quo, and the status quo is pretty damn rotten from the perspective of young black and latino men in most cities in the US.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Good morning to you too.

    Knock the officer's arm away isn't resisting arrest.

    The requirement for resisting arrest is first the person is told s/he is under arrest. I have yet to see that he was. In fact, all accounts I have read including what the officer said was that he was trying to detain Garner for an investigation of selling cigarettes illegally. Detaining someone is not the same as arresting someone, and again first he had to be told he was being detained before he could be resisting detainment.

    IF that standard is met - telling him - only then do you reach the question of what may an officer do it a person is resisting arrest.

    IF that had been done and if he was "resisting" - comes the question of what to do next. What about sneak up behind him and hit him in the head with a club? What about the other officer kicking him in the groin? Jabbing him in the eyes?

    What was done was an officer snuck up behind him and jumped up on his back by surprise, with his arm around Garner's throat. To no surprise, Garner stumbled backwards, pressing the officer against a pane of glass - for which that officer now not only was endangering Garner's life, but his own. According to the officer, at that point he began a choke hold fearing for his own life that the window pane would break. Of course, that also meant there was fear to fear for Garner's life from that glass too.

    From there other officers rushed Garner.

    Jumping on Garner's back and with an arm around his neck was a violent, physical assault. The question then being was it a legal violent physical assault? It is acknowledged his assault was in violation of well known police policy. Violating police policy isn't a crime, but it does challenge whether he was rightly acting as a police officer. That policy prohibited assault - according to the officer - immediately endangered his own life and that of Garner. Ultimately, the coroner (an expert and not an anti-police person) rules on an autopsy that this assault's choke hold is what killed Garner. Thus, the officer's surprise assault from behind - an assault contrary to police policy - was a lethal assault.

    it is from that the call for manslaughter/murder charges were called for by many people. I don't agree. I think the officer should have been charged with reckless endangerment and official oppression. Reckless endangerment because his police policy prohibited assault endangers his and Garner's life by the officer's own statement. Since this violated departmental policy and was an assault, he was wrongly acting under the color of his uniform/badge.

    Anyway, that's my opinion.

    Post 1136.

    Because everytime you see me, you want to harass me. You want to stop me [garbled] Selling cigarettes. I'm minding my business, officer, I'm minding my business. Please just leave me alone. I told you the last time, please just leave me alone."[25] Garner swatted their arms away, saying, "Don't touch me, please." He was then put in a chokehold or headlock from behind by officer Daniel Pantaleo, in order to be subdued.....snip~

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064054345


    According to the Police Union and others Garner was given a lawful order. But the video doesn't show this. I would think there was witness testimony to that issue.

    This morning the NYPD Union came out saying the Mayor threw them under the bus.

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Isn't THIS the bottom line of all of this---do not mess with cops, they have guns, clubs, dogs and mace, they out number you, they have radios to call for more cops. To all punks that push for trouble do you still not understand you are going to GET trouble?

  9. #99
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    This doesn't look good for the NYPD huh? What do you think about this guy who took the video of Garner? Is he telling stories or the truth?



    Ramsey Orta, the man who filmed New York City Police Officer Daniel Pantaleo applying a fatal chokehold to Eric Garner on July 17, was indicted by a grand jury in Staten Island, New York.



    According to the Staten Island Advance, Orta was indicted on weapons charges after an arrest on Aug. 2 in the St. George neighborhood of Staten Island. "They lying on me, they doing me wrong," said Orta after he pleaded not guilty in August, noted the New York Daily News. "I've been harassed by the police since this whole video." Orta's mother told CBS New York that police had been following her son ever since he filmed Garner's death (video below).....snip~

    Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video)
    Orta doesn't look to me like a momma's boy, so how does his mother know the police have been following her baby all this time? Another mother who takes as gospel every word her precious baby tells her.

    Baby boy is getting his 15 minutes in the sun. We'll see if there's any truth to the charge when it gets to court. Hoping to sway the jury by claiming a police frame job is a time honoured defense in America.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Man Who Filmed Cop Choking Eric Garner Was Indicted (Video).....

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Orta doesn't look to me like a momma's boy, so how does his mother know the police have been following her baby all this time? Another mother who takes as gospel every word her precious baby tells her.

    Baby boy is getting his 15 minutes in the sun. We'll see if there's any truth to the charge when it gets to court. Hoping to sway the jury by claiming a police frame job is a time honoured defense in America.

    Mornin' CJ. As I mentioned earlier.....there is to much that is Coincidincy with this guy here. But with priors, stemming before the Garner issue comes up. This guy should have known the cops would be keeping an eye on him.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •