Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

  1. #21
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,186
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What makes any local statistic (criminal or not) into a federal matter? Does a police shooting in NYC have any affect on police policy in TX? If we see a higher rate of gang shootings in Chicago should police procedures in Dallas be changed? Making anything and everything into a federal matter is simply insane. Police shootings generally involve different officers and victims and, as such, each is an entirely separate case not dependent in any way on any other cases in other cities or states.
    The fact that the FBI keeps statistics on this? I didn't know there was an obligation on federal agencies to keep poor statistics, because of the 10th Amendment.

    Perhaps you're suggesting that the CDC not keep record of the number of ebola cases in the country, because what does a ebola case in NYC have any affect on health policy in TX?
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  2. #22
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    The fact that the FBI keeps statistics on this? I didn't know there was an obligation on federal agencies to keep poor statistics, because of the 10th Amendment.

    Perhaps you're suggesting that the CDC not keep record of the number of ebola cases in the country, because what does a ebola case in NYC have any affect on health policy in TX?
    The CDC is federal, police are not. So the FBI data gathering has a bug. It's just data used for politics and showing off. The locals track this in their jurisdictions where the data is used for something useful.

  3. #23
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And yet that's not what his statement was implying, what is being said is that all those deaths by cops were OK because some people need killing. It was a dismissive statement aimed at the OP.

    Last I checked, cops weren't a court of law, yes?
    His statement implied that some people need killing. Not that all the deaths are ok. Most cop shootings are justified. I would bet less aren't.

    And how many of those shootings are reviewed?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    His statement implied that some people need killing. Not that all the deaths are ok. Most cop shootings are justified. I would bet less aren't.

    And how many of those shootings are reviewed?
    Exactly, how many? It's a good question. All incidents of cops killing citizens should be seriously investigated and wrongdoing swiftly punished.

    What's our track record on that?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #25
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,186
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    His statement implied that some people need killing. Not that all the deaths are ok. Most cop shootings are justified. I would bet less aren't. And how many of those shootings are reviewed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What's our track record on that?
    Yeah, in my home state of Wisconsin, in the 129 years since police and fire commissions were created, there hasn't been a SINGLE ruling by a police department, an inquest or a police commission that a shooting was unjustified. Can you believe that? In the entire history of Wisconsin as a state, never has there ever been a police reviewing committee that has found that a cop acted in a irresponsible or irrational manner when killing another person.

    Goes to show how sensible it is to arm high school dropouts with a gun and a badge. Makes for pretty justified cop shootings.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  6. #26
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exactly, how many? It's a good question. All incidents of cops killing citizens should be seriously investigated and wrongdoing swiftly punished.

    What's our track record on that?
    1 good shooting in Ferguson. And how much in property damage?

    I agree they should all be investigated. They all are. Talk to your DA if you don't like the way it occurs:

    http://www.sjpd.org/BOI/Homicide/OIS_FAQ.html

    Just one of a bunch of ways I'm sure.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #27
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    From the OP...

    WASHINGTON—When 24-year-old Albert Jermaine Payton wielded a knife in front of the police in this city’s southeast corner, officers opened fire and killed him.Yet according to national statistics intended to track police killings, Mr. Payton’s death in August 2012 never happened. It is one of hundreds of homicides by law-enforcement agencies between 2007 and 2012 that aren’t included in records kept by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
    A Wall Street Journal analysis of the latest data from 105 of the country’s largest police agencies found more than 550 police killings during those years were missing from the national tally or, in a few dozen cases, not attributed to the agency involved. The result: It is nearly impossible to determine how many people are killed by the police each year.
    The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that the FBI, for whatever reason, is not getting all the data. It also raises the question of why the FBI is responsible for collecting and maintaining this data in the first place? They're a law enforcement agency, not a statistics warehouse.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    1 good shooting in Ferguson. And how much in property damage?

    I agree they should all be investigated. They all are. Talk to your DA if you don't like the way it occurs:

    Officer Involved Shootings - FAQs

    Just one of a bunch of ways I'm sure.
    The riots weren't justified, but that doesn't mean we take the chains off government. I want to ensure proper protocol, restraint, and monitoring of government force.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #29
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Exactly, how many? It's a good question. All incidents of cops killing citizens should be seriously investigated and wrongdoing swiftly punished.

    What's our track record on that?
    It's not a national "our", it's a local "our" and you'd know if you were aware of what was happening in your community. Again, police are local.

  10. #30
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hundreds of Police Killings Are Uncounted in Federal Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Yeah, in my home state of Wisconsin, in the 129 years since police and fire commissions were created, there hasn't been a SINGLE ruling by a police department, an inquest or a police commission that a shooting was unjustified. Can you believe that? In the entire history of Wisconsin as a state, never has there ever been a police reviewing committee that has found that a cop acted in a irresponsible or irrational manner when killing another person.

    Goes to show how sensible it is to arm high school dropouts with a gun and a badge. Makes for pretty justified cop shootings.
    What are you talking about?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •