Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mitch McConnell Rider Could Roll Back Campaign Finance Laws

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Mitch McConnell Rider Could Roll Back Campaign Finance Laws

    Mitch McConnell Rider Could Roll Back Campaign Finance Laws

    44

    The McConnell rider would allow parties to consult with candidate campaigns on advertising or other electoral advocacy without having the resulting spending count towards their coordinated limit, so long as the spending is not "controlled by, or made at the direction of" the candidate. The change would create a loophole essentially making the coordinated limits moot.

    McConnell's office did not immediately return a request for comment.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: McConnell weasels campaign finance reform into omnibus spending bill

    All public funding or no limits on donations. There really is no in between that will not be gotten around.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: McConnell weasels campaign finance reform into omnibus spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    All public funding or no limits on donations. There really is no in between that will not be gotten around.

    Agreeed, although I'd favor the former. To ensure no frivolity on joke/troll campaigning, candidates would have to put down some (TBD) form of collateral however.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: McConnell weasels campaign finance reform into omnibus spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    All public funding or no limits on donations. There really is no in between that will not be gotten around.
    In today's political environment, I lean a bit towards public funding and a more open election cycle. Big money and party stagnation have led to some serious problems and restrictions in our elections.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #5
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: McConnell weasels campaign finance reform into omnibus spending bill

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Agreeed, although I'd favor the former. To ensure no frivolity on joke/troll campaigning, candidates would have to put down some (TBD) form of collateral however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    In today's political environment, I lean a bit towards public funding and a more open election cycle. Big money and party stagnation have led to some serious problems and restrictions in our elections.
    I support public funding as well. It has made a difference in places like NYC getting people to run for office who otherwise couldn't just to have a 6:1 public to donated dollar system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •