Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 236

Thread: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Finger

  1. #151
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Attachment 67176736

    LOL! Couldn't resist. Just my way of saying, "good evening brother."
    Meh, at least you took the Bears with you.

    Good evening, CA.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #152
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat
    ID is basically creationism with modern marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin
    Eh, I disagree...specifically for the very reasons you laid out in your original post and then here as well....
    Yes SD: 'Intelligent Design' IS just respun creationism, and of course needs a DesignER/GOD. And is identically deservant of derision.

    Several postings now of:
    Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Intelligent design is the assertion that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."[1][2]
    It is a Modern Form of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, but one which avoids specifying the nature or identity of the designer.[3]
    The idea was developed by a group of American creationists who Reformulated their argument in the creation–evolution controversy to Circumvent court rulings that prohibit the teaching of creationism as science.[4][5][6] Intelligent design's leading proponents – all of whom are associated with the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank[7][8] – believe the designer to be the God of Christianity.[9][10]

    Advocates of intelligent design seek to fundamentally Redefine Science to accept Supernatural explanations,[11] arguing that intelligent design is a scientific theory under this new definition of science.
    [12]
    The Unequivocal consensus in the scientific community is that intelligent design is NOT science.[13][14][15][16]
    The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that "creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are NOT science because they are not testable by the methods of science."[17] The U.S. National Science Teachers Association and the American Association for the Advancement of Science have termed it Pseudoscience.[18] Others in the scientific community have concurred, and some have called it Junk science.[19][20]
    [........]
    The term "intelligent design" came into use after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1987 case of Edwards v. Aguillard that to require the teaching of "creation science" alongside evolution was a violation of the Establishment Clause,
    which prohibits state endorsement of a religion. In the Edwards case, the Supreme Court had also held that "teaching a variety of scientific theories about the origins of humankind to school children might be validly done with the clear secular intent of enhancing the effectiveness of science instruction".[24] In drafts of the creation science textbook 'Of Pandas and People', almost all derivatives of the word "Creation", such as "Creationism", were Replaced with the words "intelligent design".[21] The book was published in 1989, followed by a "grass-roots" campaign promoting the use of the book to teach intelligent design in high-school biology classes.[25]....."
    Last edited by mbig; 12-02-14 at 07:47 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  3. #153
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You get a like from me (cherish it) for not mincing or trying to spin away from what you've been saying or claiming to have the only possible definition of "creationism"
    out there.
    It all comes down to supernatural events to prove their assertions. Supernatural events don't happen.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  4. #154
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    It all comes down to supernatural events to prove their assertions. Supernatural events don't happen.
    It would be better to say that until such time there is demonstrable evidence they exist, it is presumed that supernatural events don't happen. (Same principle as used in the justice system <-- hopefully this is self evident, right theists?)
    Otherwise you are making a positive declaration that requires substantiation. Good luck proving a negative.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  5. #155
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Yes SD: 'Intelligent Design' IS just respun creationism, and of course needs a DesignER/GOD. And is identically deservant of derision.

    Several postings now of:
    Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think it's fairly obvious that the proponents of ID are doing so out of their (typically) Judeo-Christian views, but the way they wedged it in there is to basically say "well, it's reasonable to conclude a creator designed it," which is rather tame when you think about it. It's essentially the old watchmaker metaphor deists with Enlightenment science inclinations used. That this comes into conflict with modern science is noteworthy (and also why I don't think it belongs in said classes), but it's very accommodating to early modern thought (which cannot be said of many protestant Christian sects).
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #156
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    It would be better to say that until such time there is demonstrable evidence they exist, it is presumed that supernatural events don't happen. (Same principle as used in the justice system <-- hopefully this is self evident, right theists?)
    Otherwise you are making a positive declaration that requires substantiation. Good luck proving a negative.
    Ask James Randi....get a million bucks if you can produce supernatural anything.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  7. #157
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Ask James Randi....get a million bucks if you can produce supernatural anything.
    Yes I know.
    But by asking that, you are guilty of the same fallacy that theists use all the time: shifting the burden.

    If you make the claim that the supernatural doesn't exist, you have to provide evidence that it doesn't.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

    However, you can, indeed should, presume absence of existence if the supernatural has not been demonstrated.

    The justice system uses the same methodology.
    A person is presumed innocent until guilt is proven.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  8. #158
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    Yes I know.
    But by asking that, you are guilty of the same fallacy that theists use all the time: shifting the burden.

    If you make the claim that the supernatural doesn't exist, you have to provide evidence that it doesn't.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

    However, you can, indeed should, presume absence of existence if the supernatural has not been demonstrated.

    The justice system uses the same methodology.
    A person is presumed innocent until guilt is proven.
    It hasn't been demonstrated.

    If someone claims they can do something supernatural, let them.

    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand"
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  9. #159
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,673

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    It all comes down to supernatural events to prove their assertions. Supernatural events don't happen.
    Work with me here.

    su·per·nat·u·ral
    ˌso͞opərˈnaCH(ə)rəl/Submit
    adjective
    1.
    (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

    Now, let's pretend, in the time of our ancients, that a great chariot from the sky ascended from the heavens, with great fire. And from this chariot came two angels of God. They impregnated virgins and they gave births to the sons and daughters of God.

    That's kind of hard to wrap one's head around, no? They had no scientific understanding to speak of. In fact, through the ages such knowledge of science, or the search thereof, would get you burnt at the stake. These, "chariots," these, "angels," were beyond the understanding of any known natural order. Therefore, GOD!

    Now, flash forward. Year 2014. Nightly news reports, "Alien spacecraft makes contact with NASA and reveals human breeding experiment dating back to ancient ages."

    People could understand that. We do breeding experiments as well. We manipulate genetics all the time. We too, have flying spacecrafts and are capable of visiting other worlds.

    The "supernatural," is no longer "supernatural." As we can understand it in scientific terms and nothing is really unnatural about any of it, when you think about it.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #160
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Reporter Suspended For Defending Evolution Comes Back, Gives Immediate Middle Fin

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You've already said, repeatedly that you anyone who consider themselves a creationist is an idiot, doesn't matter what "type". That's grand. I'm not trying to dissuade you at all. I'm telling you that most Christians consider themselves creationists.
    Specifically literal readings of Genesis: Young Earth Creationism. This has been explained to you already.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •