Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I agree with you to a point....except that the PEOPLES GREED will drive them to the store on ANY day the corporations decide to have the sale. It is still the CORPORATION that has decided that they have to destroy Thanksgiving to increase their sales.
    The corporation doesn't force people to act on their greed. People decide that.

    The reason you are flat out wrong is because both you and I don't go to those sales. If we can deal without an item to save our family tradition, so can other people.

    Plain and simple, it is the people's greed that is doing this. If it wasn't, you and I would be out there shopping on Thanksgiving with them.

  2. #52
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes and when they do it against company policy, they can be fired. If they are willing to lose their jobs over it, than I won't be sad if that happens. It's THEIR choice and all.
    yayyy you get it you finally get it! they can certainly be fired! that's the free market! if they can get away with it and keep their jobs, even better for them! god i want to just hug the free market right now.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I ask because I truly do not know... If he doesn't show up for his shifts.. Can he be fired? It makes sense that he should/could be fired, but who knows anymore.
    Of course he can be fired. If a dozen or so workers participate in the strike, they could all be fired and WalMart would go on without a hitch. If, on the other hand, all or most of their employees strike, they'll have to close that day and will lose out on millions of dollars of sales. Replacing all of their employees at once would be a nightmare.

    So, were you the CEO of WalMart, would you throw the employees a bone, or simply wait it out and hope that the strikers don't get enough support?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #54
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    yayyy you get it you finally get it! they can certainly be fired! that's the free market! if they can get away with it and keep their jobs, even better for them! god i want to just hug the free market right now.
    So the good news is they won't complain when WalMart fires them right in time for Christmas.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Maybe the two of you can eventually come to the realization that people don't follow you into a boycott because they don't care about the stupid cause, not because of a lack of willpower.

    The vast majority of people will shop at Walmart because they can save a few bucks on something they want to buy.
    I don't care what other people do. That is their choice. I am just not going to go blame the corporations because of people's greed.

  6. #56
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I don't care what other people do. That is their choice. I am just not going to go blame the corporations because of people's greed.
    Saving money is now greed?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #57
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the good news is they won't complain when WalMart fires them right in time for Christmas.
    well we don't know if they'll complain or not, but i would argue that if they do get fired, they should have known the potential consequences of not showing up to work. i will not feel sorry for them if they are fired.

  8. #58
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So the people are being FORCED to go on Thanksgiving? You just said people want to go to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the sales. So people's greed is forcing them to destroy American Tradition. You keep proving my point over and over.
    Not at all. You are conveniently refusing to accept the fact that the corporation can decide to have the sales Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri....and the public will come. It is the corporation that has chosen Thanksgiving to have their sales. Show me anywhere the public demanded corporations to open their doors on Thanksgiving.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #59
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    well we don't know if they'll complain or not, but i would argue that if they do get fired, they should have known the potential consequences of not showing up to work. i will not feel sorry for them if they are fired.
    I won't feel sorry for them either. As TNE said, they knew when they took the jobs. This didn't just sneak up on everyone the day before yesterday.

    Strike, get fired, and own it. Fine by me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #60
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. Many of these stores had significantly long line-ups of customers throughout the night and into the wee hours of the morning prior to Black Friday opening in the morning and then had stampedes into the stores when they opened. They also had to provide security and crowd control throughout the night to avoid vandalism and fighting. As a result, they decided to open the stores earlier and earlier. It was consumer demand.
    Actually....no.....you are wrong. The lines outside the stores have moved along with the opening times. There are now lines outside the stores on Wed. But again....it isn't the public demanding the stores have their sales on Thanksgiving. They are responding to the corporations desires.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •