Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #41
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    do the workers not have the right to say they want to stay at home as well? how DARE they decide they want to stay at home with their families?
    I'll bet you a good chunk of them want the day off so they can go shopping themselves. Staying home with the families is a crock.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #42
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's exactly right. So the WalMart workers who don't want to work are free to get jobs elsewhere and the people who want the jobs they leave can take them. It's easy like that.
    correct. they are also free to strike to try and improve their current jobs. maybe they really like working at walmart other than the fact they have to work on thanksgiving. if they can get away with not showing up and continuing to keep their jobs, i say more power to them.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    People are going because they want to take advantage of the sales. They would go whatever day the corporations decided to have the sale. It isn't the public demanding that stores be open on Thanksgiving.
    Per the bold, so you have proven it is PEOPLE'S GREED that is the problem. Thank you.

  4. #44
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Corporate greed ??? Really ???

    They are businesses who respond to customer requests/dictates. If people did not desire to shop on Thanksgiving the stores would not open... due to no profit...

    Blame the consumer not the one attempting to satiate consumer wants.

    G'day D

    Thom Paine
    I think this would be a much more solid argument if there were no special sales or anything like that on Thanksgiving.

    As it is, stores do absolutely everything in their power to lure customers into the store.

    You can't price a 75" flat screen TV at $100 and then turn around and say that the only reason you're open is because customers are beating down your door on that day for no particular reason other than they insist you open on that day.

    Understand that I don't care whether or not stores are open, or whether or not employees work.

    I'm not siding with the employees against the employer.

    But let's not pretend that Black Friday isn't "the Superbowl" of CPG/retail marketing departments nationwide.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No. Again....the public would go whenever the stores have the sale. They were perfectly happy to go on Friday. It was the corporations that decided that this wasn't good enough and decided to destroy American Tradition to feed their wallets. The public was not standing outside of the stores demanding that they open.
    So the people are being FORCED to go on Thanksgiving? You just said people want to go to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the sales. So people's greed is forcing them to destroy American Tradition. You keep proving my point over and over.

  6. #46
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Per the bold, so you have proven it is PEOPLE'S GREED that is the problem. Thank you.
    I agree with you to a point....except that the PEOPLES GREED will drive them to the store on ANY day the corporations decide to have the sale. It is still the CORPORATION that has decided that they have to destroy Thanksgiving to increase their sales.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well, if they changed their minds and the job is no longer what they want they are free to go elsewhere are they not?

    I worked retail for 5 years many many many years ago and HATED every waking moment of work. Did I strike because I no longer liked my job? NO, I left and found a new one that was better for me. That is what the Walmart workers can do as well.
    lol of course they're free to go elsewhere. they're also free to strike. as i mention in my post above, if they can get away with not showing up on thanksgiving and still keep their jobs, i say more power to them! they've worked out a great deal for themselves.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    correct. they are also free to strike to try and improve their current jobs. maybe they really like working at walmart other than the fact they have to work on thanksgiving. if they can get away with not showing up and continuing to keep their jobs, i say more power to them.
    Yes and when they do it against company policy, they can be fired. If they are willing to lose their jobs over it, than I won't be sad if that happens. It's THEIR choice and all.

  9. #49
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'll bet you a good chunk of them want the day off so they can go shopping themselves. Staying home with the families is a crock.
    maybe so, and that would be their right! isn't that awesome? that we have a free market where people can make decisions for themselves and then they have to face the consequences?

  10. #50
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Actually you are wrong. The consuming public was happy to get up early on black friday to do their shopping. They weren't demanding stores open on Thanksgiving. They are showing up now because corporate greed has pushed black friday to thursday. The public didn't demand stores to do this.
    Actually, you're wrong. Many of these stores had significantly long line-ups of customers throughout the night and into the wee hours of the morning prior to Black Friday opening in the morning and then had stampedes into the stores when they opened. They also had to provide security and crowd control throughout the night to avoid vandalism and fighting. As a result, they decided to open the stores earlier and earlier. It was consumer demand.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •