Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #341
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Did most adolescents work in retail or were most retail workers adolescents? If the latter, did that include the supervisors and managers? Was it during WWII when many men were fighting the war?
    I'm not that old, but mostly adolescents worked in retail as associates. These were the jobs that were mostly geared for them.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    And the town in the US where Wal-Mart is the big, bad, oppressive employer and the poor townspeople have nowhere else to turn is....? I think there were like B-movies in the 80's with that sort of premise and someone like Steven Seagal came in to kick some CEO ass.
    Who said anything about it being the only employer in town? You're doing everything you can to duck the questions I ask. It's not really that subtle.

    I hardly think it unreasonable to expect a government Constitutionally bound to protect my rights and my property to not steal my property and violate my rights. But I don't expect liberals to go along with that sort of thing.
    That's irrelevant. If you don't like it, you can leave. That's the premise of your response isn't it? What's the matter? You can't leave? You don't have 150 bucks for a flight to Mexico? Who cares? You have the option.

    However, your unreasonable suggestion to why I support this movement aside: Is it unreasonable to expect an employer to respect the rights of a worker? If it isn't, then fine, don't expect the government to respect your silly beliefs in what you feel they should do either.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #343
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    And in the end they do exactly what I said they should do.
    So it is abuse or isn't it? A lawsuit was brought.

    As for what this is about...

    No more relevant than saying the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs. Would you say the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs? Or are we going to start playing the age old conservative game of real vs fake _____________? - Hatuey

    This is the comment I replied to. Since you know it is an absurd argument, you now try to shift it and still come out on the wrong end.
    You just stated that if they brought a lawsuit it's abuse, I just showed you an example of a class action suit involving 20,000 people vs Wal-Mart all whom allege mistreatment. They brought a lawsuit for the same reason these people are striking. That you feel one is abuse and the other is not is just laughable.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #344
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So it is abuse or isn't it? A lawsuit was brought.



    You just stated that if they brought a lawsuit it's abuse, I just showed you an example of a class action suit involving 20,000 people vs Wal-Mart all whom allege mistreatment. They brought a lawsuit for the same reason these people are striking. That you feel one is abuse and the other is not is just laughable.
    Other copanies get sued for the same abuses but we never hear of people bad mouthing them the way Walmart gets it. When called on it, the best people can come up with is "Walmart is a metaphor for all those who do like them" which is BS. Perhaps if people were to call to abuses everywhere instead of just at Walmart, society would not be so inclined to tune the labor issues in the US out.

  5. #345
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,267

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Who said anything about it being the only employer in town? You're doing everything you can to duck the questions I ask. It's not really that subtle.
    No, if there are other employers then the woman can go work elsewhere.



    That's irrelevant. If you don't like it, you can leave. That's the premise of your response isn't it? What's the matter? You can't leave? You don't have 150 bucks for a flight to Mexico? Who cares? You have the option.

    However, your unreasonable suggestion to why I support this movement aside: Is it unreasonable to expect an employer to respect the rights of a worker? If it isn't, then fine, don't expect the government to respect your silly beliefs in what you feel they should do either.
    Wal-Mart isn't violating anyones rights. No one has a 'right' to earn a wage that you think is fair.

  6. #346
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Other copanies get sued for the same abuses but we never hear of people bad mouthing them the way Walmart gets it. When called on it, the best people can come up with is "Walmart is a metaphor for all those who do like them" which is BS. Perhaps if people were to call to abuses everywhere instead of just at Walmart, society would not be so inclined to tune the labor issues in the US out.
    Wal-Mart gets mentioned more often because they continue to do it often and they're a big company. It's the same reason Comcast gets bad publicity. It doesn't make companies mistreating other workers any less important. If you want, I could point you to some courses in media relations so you understand why Wal-Mart would get more publicity than a little mom and pop store in Albuquerque doing the same thing.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-04-14 at 11:31 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #347
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    No, if there are other employers then the woman can go work elsewhere.
    Seems like nonsense. What if the other employers don't provide enough hours for that woman to earn enough to feed her family? I know, hard to believe in America, but say they do - what is she supposed to do? Again, your ridiculous suggestion doesn't take in the role that Walmart has in many small communities where it's really the only serious employer. These communities aren't as rare as you'd like to believe. There are entire documentaries showing how Wal-Mart shows up in small communities which few jobs and then uses that community to serve the others around it. Employees who complain about their treatment? Threatened with firings.

    Wal-Mart isn't violating anyones rights. No one has a 'right' to earn a wage that you think is fair.
    That's not the only thing Wal-Mart is doing. If it were, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They've been sued in various states for threatening employees with firing if they don't work extra hours for no pay. However, if you're still following this ridiculous argument: The government has a right (as per the constitution) to tax you. If you don't like it? Leave.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #348
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Wal-Mart gets mentioned more often because they continue to doing often and they're a big company. It's the same reason Comcast gets bad publicity. It doesn't make companies mistreating other workers any less important. If you want, I could point you to some courses in media relations so you understand why Wal-Mart would get more publicity than a little mom and pop store in Albuquerque doing the same thing.
    I already know why Walmart gets more attention. They have more employees and offer a bigger potential number of dues payers for the unions than say Nestle USA, which was making employees do their mandatory hygiene routines before they officially punched in so they wouldn't have to pay them for it. Don't kid yourself. It isn't that Walmart is so much worse. It is because they are the fattest heifer for the union wolves.

  9. #349
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I already know why Walmart gets more attention. They have more employees and offer a bigger potential number of dues payers for the unions than say Nestle USA, which was making employees do their mandatory hygiene routines before they officially punched in so they wouldn't have to pay them for it.
    Oooooh supasecret conspiracy. Not everyone who sues Wal-Mart wants to start an union.

    Don't kid yourself. It isn't that Walmart is so much worse. It is because they are the fattest heifer for the union wolves.
    I don't kid myself, I just don't believe in conspiracy theories.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #350
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for certain rights to be recognized. For example, a worker should not be made to choose between working extra hours without pay or getting fired. Do you believe that is unreasonable?
    Not necessarily, unless salaried, but I get the impression this line of thinking will be carried away by those seeking to impose more and more government mandates on employers regarding compensation.

    Nobody is asking the government to pass a law. What is being asked is that a worker's rights be protected. Furthermore, what is being asked is that corporations do not get away with demanding more than what their employees are legally contracted to do. Do you believe these are unreasonable conditions for companies to abide by?
    Not necessarily, same response as above.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •