Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #331
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nobody questioned whether they're illegal now. Well.. technically, they're illegal in the United States. They're still very much legal in some countries as the UN Declaration of HRs didn't actually make it illegal. Only national legislation can do that. I asked you whether treating them badly was justified because they signed their contracts. Yes or no answer.
    Low pay or part time hours is not being treated badly. They agreed to the pay and hours upon accepting employment. If they feel they are being treated badly because of it (as it is not illegal) then they should not have accepted the position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Still ad-homin'? Doesn't change the facts yo.
    I don't think you know what an ad-hominem is, let alone that I made one. At no time did I attack you or your character. It is NOT an ad-hominem to attack someones post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Still unable to answer my question? Fine. I'll make it simpler for you: If a person does not have the means to move on to another job, should they resign themselves to mistreatment?
    They are not again being mistreated. If they were, they would have a law suit... they don't so no mistreatment.

    Your argument is as silly as ever and getting worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Define mistreatment.
    I already have. Search the thread.

    And if you are so concerned about your fictional woman, put your money where your mouth is and open a Hatuey Mart and pay her $50 per hour for her unskilled labor and quit your complaining.
    Still providing unreasonable responses? Hm. How unlikely of you Fletch.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #333
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,276

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I already have. Search the thread.



    Still providing unreasonable responses? Hm. How unlikely of you Fletch.
    Why is that unreasonable? Because you cant do it? Because it is easier to impose your will through the physical force of the state? If you are concerned about the plight of your fictional woman, you help her. i

  4. #334
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    here's one:

    http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/104.../541733907.pdf

    "The employment results indicate that a Wal-Mart store opening reduces county-level retail employment by about 150 workers, implying that each Wal-Mart worker replaces approximately 1.4 retail workers. This represents a 2.7 percent reduction in average retail employment. The payroll results indicate that Wal-Mart store openings lead to declines in county-level retail earnings of about $1.2 million, or 1.3 percent. Of course, these effects occurred against a backdrop of rising retail employment, and only imply lower retail employment growth than would have occurred absent the effects of Wal-Mart."

    looks like this one was written by a some a german dude and some non-german dudes.
    Did you really read this paper? All it sounds like you did was read the last paragraph.

  5. #335
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I have been all over the USA, portions of Canada and Mexico and a good chunk of Europe. At least 95% of the people I saw working in retail were adults. I remember when most of the larger stores were unionized as were most other blue collar jobs for larger companies. Back then, taxpayers didn't have to subsidize the pay of people who worked full-time, the workers could afford basic food, shelter, transportation and clothing on their wages.

    Where is this place where only teens worked in retail?
    When I was growing up, most adolescent worked in retail. In the UK, anyways. I'm assuming the same is true in the states, but that was before the time when you could get alot of good jobs without a college degree.

  6. #336
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Low pay or part time hours is not being treated badly. They agreed to the pay and hours upon accepting employment. If they feel they are being treated badly because of it (as it is not illegal) then they should not have accepted the position.
    That's not what is question here. Do you know what is in question here at all? It's people being forced to do the same things which Wal-Mart has been sued over a few times.

    I don't think you know what an ad-hominem is, let alone that I made one. At no time did I attack you or your character. It is NOT an ad-hominem to attack someones post.

    They are not again being mistreated. If they were, they would have a law suit... they don't so no mistreatment.

    Your argument is as silly as ever and getting worse.
    What? So mistreatment is only reliant on a lawsuit? OKAY THEN!

    Employees Sue Wal-Mart for Overtime - ABC News

    A former Wal-Mart employee has filed a class-action suit against the retail giant for forcing employees to work without pay — sometimes by locking them into the stores — after their shifts had ended.

    Maria Gamble of Farmingville, N.Y., is filing suit on behalf of 20,000 current and former Wal-Mart employees in New York state who claim that they were denied pay for overtime hours worked.
    Walmart workers sue for unpaid wages peoplesworld

    The other shoe - the legal one - has dropped in Wal-Mart's constant low pay and bad benefits for its workers: 20 temp workers in a Chicago-area store sued in federal court for unpaid wages.
    The Wal-Mart Litigation Project -- The Internet Resource For Wal-Mart Litigation.

    Plaintiff was verbally and physically harassed by other employees after Wal-Mart transferred her from cashier to night stocker. Plaintiff reported the harassment to her supervisor and the store's manager, but the store failed to investigate the accusations. Instead, plaintiff was chastised, suspended from her night stocker position, and reassigned as a cashier. The change decreased her work hours and wages.
    Plaintiff sued Wal-Mart for wrongful termination when the store fired her after she filed a worker's compensation claim. The jury awarded her $630,000.
    There have been over 99 verdicts against Wal-mart. Many of those for lawsuits involving lost wages, company mistreatment and retaliatory action taken by Wal-Mart when employees file complaints. Do you believe that this is not mistreatment still?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #337
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Why is that unreasonable? Because you cant do it?
    It's unreasonable because not everyone's situation is the same. Example: Wal-Mart that employs most of the people in town X. Where do the people who rely on Wal-Mart go if Wal-Mart engages in mistreatment and the option for them to work elsewhere is not available?

    Because it is easier to impose your will through the physical force of the state? If you are concerned about the plight of your fictional woman, you help her. i
    Don't like the government taxing you? Move to another country or quit complaining. See where your unreasonable demands get you?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-04-14 at 10:53 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    When I was growing up, most adolescent worked in retail. In the UK, anyways. I'm assuming the same is true in the states, but that was before the time when you could get alot of good jobs without a college degree.
    Did most adolescents work in retail or were most retail workers adolescents? If the latter, did that include the supervisors and managers? Was it during WWII when many men were fighting the war?

  9. #339
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not what is question here. Do you know what is in question here at all? It's people being forced to do the same things which Wal-Mart has been sued over a few times.

    What? So mistreatment is only reliant on a lawsuit? OKAY THEN!

    Employees Sue Wal-Mart for Overtime - ABC News

    Walmart workers sue for unpaid wages peoplesworld
    The Wal-Mart Litigation Project -- The Internet Resource For Wal-Mart Litigation.

    There have been over 99 verdicts against Wal-mart. Many of those for lawsuits involving lost wages, company mistreatment and retaliatory action taken by Wal-Mart when employees file complaints. Do you believe that this is not mistreatment still?
    And in the end they do exactly what I said they should do.

    As for what this is about...

    No more relevant than saying the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs. Would you say the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs? Or are we going to start playing the age old conservative game of real vs fake _____________? - Hatuey

    This is the comment I replied to. Since you know it is an absurd argument, you now try to shift it and still come out on the wrong end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #340
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,276

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's unreasonable because not everyone's situation is the same. Example: Wal-Mart that employs most of the people in town X. Where do the people who rely on Wal-Mart go if Wal-Mart engages in mistreatment and the option for them to work elsewhere is not available?
    And the town in the US where Wal-Mart is the big, bad, oppressive employer and the poor townspeople have nowhere else to turn is....? I think there were like B-movies in the 80's with that sort of premise and someone like Steven Seagal came in to kick some CEO ass.



    Don't like the government taxing you? Move to another country or quit complaining. See where your unreasonable demands get you?
    I hardly think it unreasonable to expect a government Constitutionally bound to protect my rights and my property to not steal my property and violate my rights. But I don't expect liberals to go along with that sort of thing.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •