Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #321
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Again you are trying to compare and illegal act to a legal one as in Employee in 2014 vs an indentured servant circa the 1800's.
    There was nothing illegal about indentured servitude or the contracts which were made to validate them. So I'll ask one last time: Were their punishments okay because they agreed to it?

    Your argument is just so stupid and lacks in even basic common sense.
    Your rapid degeneration into ad-homs tells me different. Are you aggravated that holes have been poked in your argument?

    Then go someplace else, it's your choice as a free individual. The government is not responsible for your life circumstance. Hell I drove 2500 miles to CA because I did not like where I was. Lived in my car for a month while I saved to get a place working 3 jobs. So if you have the drive, you can do what you want. So you have a choice no matter your circumstance in the US.

    You still don't get it. Their circumstance is irrelevant. You can, no matter what your circumstances are, leave if you don't like the job.
    What about people who do not have these options. I've already asked you: What is your solution for them? Say you have a single mother of 3 who lives 10 minutes from a town whose only real stable employment is Walmart. Is she supposed to quit her job, and go somewhere else for a job? What if she simply can't risk going 2 weeks without a paycheck?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #322
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    There was nothing illegal about indentured servitude or the contracts which were made to validate them. So I'll ask one last time: Were their punishments okay because they agreed to it?
    They are illegal NOW. What part of that would I need to explain for you to understand this is not the 1800's? It is 2014 last time I looked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your rapid degeneration into ad-homs tells me different. Are you aggravated that holes have been poked in your argument?
    No. I am not aggravated either. I am just dumbfounded you think that the absurd drivel in your posts are an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What about people who do not have these options. I've already asked you: What is your solution for them?
    Their circumstance is irrelevant, period. Go find a different job if you don't want to do the job you were hired for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Say you have a single mother of 3 who lives 10 minutes from a town whose only real stable employment is Walmart. Is she supposed to quit her job, and go somewhere else for a job? What if she simply can't risk going 2 weeks without a paycheck?
    I don't care if she can't go one day, she is free to choose her own course. If she does not want to do the job she was hired for.... leave. She is well within her rights to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Everyone working at WalMart "screwed up their own lives?"

    I love these guys and their magical fairy tale universe where everything is fair and everyone gets everything they deserve, and deserves everything they get.
    It is easier than caring about others. That opens up a whole can of worms for the free market worshipper.

  4. #324
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    They are illegal NOW.
    Nobody questioned whether they're illegal now. Well.. technically, they're illegal in the United States. They're still very much legal in some countries as the UN Declaration of HRs didn't actually make it illegal. Only national legislation can do that. I asked you whether treating them badly was justified because they signed their contracts. Yes or no answer.

    No. I am not aggravated either. I am just dumbfounded you think that the absurd drivel in your posts are an argument.
    Still ad-homin'? Doesn't change the facts yo.

    Their circumstance is irrelevant, period. Go find a different job if you don't want to do the job you were hired for.

    I don't care if she can't go one day, she is free to choose her own course. If she does not want to do the job she was hired for.... leave. She is well within her rights to do so.
    Still unable to answer my question? Fine. I'll make it simpler for you: If a person does not have the means to move on to another job, should they resign themselves to mistreatment?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    ...Retail use to be a good industry? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Were adults always taking retail jobs in the States? As far as I know, those jobs only went to teens to gain marketable skills. What a backwards country this is... As far as I'm concerned, it's not a real job. It requires the bare minimum skills (probably less than that) with hardly no educational background at all. All associates do is take my money while pretending to be nice or care about me and everything they sell on the shelfs contributes to your ballooning trade deficit.

    Yeah, it's not much of a real job.
    I have been all over the USA, portions of Canada and Mexico and a good chunk of Europe. At least 95% of the people I saw working in retail were adults. I remember when most of the larger stores were unionized as were most other blue collar jobs for larger companies. Back then, taxpayers didn't have to subsidize the pay of people who worked full-time, the workers could afford basic food, shelter, transportation and clothing on their wages.

    Where is this place where only teens worked in retail?

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Wow, that sure was successful.

    Communists, one blunder after another....
    Speaking of communists, where do you think most of the non-food items that Walmarts (and many others) sell? Those cheap items are made in a country that put thousands of political prisoners in work camps and people can be imprisoned for organizing workers, or criticizing the government.

  7. #327
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What about people who do not have these options. I've already asked you: What is your solution for them? Say you have a single mother of 3 who lives 10 minutes from a town whose only real stable employment is Walmart. Is she supposed to quit her job, and go somewhere else for a job? What if she simply can't risk going 2 weeks without a paycheck?
    No country can make effective policy based on imagining a person so desperate that they have no other option in the world but to voluntarily accept a trade that they don't actually want to accept.

    Somewhere in the country there is a person who only has a dollar in hand, who is hungry to the point of passing out, and there is a sandwich vendor within a short walking distance who sells sandwiches for $10. Should the government pass a law requiring the vendor to sell sandwiches for no more than a dollar?

    No. Governments should not intervene in markets where free people are voluntarily trading one thing for another, forcibly changing what one party or another is allowed to offer or accept, and basing those laws on imagining a particularly desperate person.

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Enemies, not political opponents.

    I always appreciate dead enemies for Christmas. Especially those who want to take Christ out of Christmas and use terms like Xmas and Happy Holidays. Fortunately, many of those also are leftist vermin. Double win.
    People celebrated the winter solstice for a long time before Christianity even existed. Start your own holiday instead of getting on our bandwagon. Jesus wasn't even born in December.

  9. #329
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    No country can make effective policy based on imagining a person so desperate that they have no other option in the world but to voluntarily accept a trade that they don't actually want to accept.
    That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for certain rights to be recognized. For example, a worker should not be made to choose between working extra hours without pay or getting fired. Do you believe that is unreasonable?

    Somewhere in the country there is a person who only has a dollar in hand, who is hungry to the point of passing out, and there is a sandwich vendor within a short walking distance who sells sandwiches for $10. Should the government pass a law requiring the vendor to sell sandwiches for no more than a dollar?

    No. Governments should not intervene in markets where free people are voluntarily trading one thing for another, forcibly changing what one party or another is allowed to offer or accept, and basing those laws on imagining a particularly desperate person.
    Nobody is asking the government to pass a law. What is being asked is that a worker's rights be protected. Furthermore, what is being asked is that corporations do not get away with demanding more than what their employees are legally contracted to do. Do you believe these are unreasonable conditions for companies to abide by?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #330
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,283

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Still unable to answer my question? Fine. I'll make it simpler for you: If a person does not have the means to move on to another job, should they resign themselves to mistreatment?
    Define mistreatment. And if you are so concerned about your fictional woman, put your money where your mouth is and open a Hatuey Mart and pay her $50 per hour for her unskilled labor and quit your complaining.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •