Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #311
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Only problem is they are not forcing anyone to take a job. That argument is absurd.
    Plus the fact that he purposely didn't highlight "unreasonable" from the definition. It is not unreasonable to expect people to do the job for which they have been hired and are being paid.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    It truly surprises me that these people can be so naive as to think WalMart gives a crap about their demands.

    These people are incredibly replaceable, they have little bargaining power.

    Unless they have TOTAL solidarity and the public refuses to cross the picket lines to take their jobs, they will get nothing but token gestures from WalMart, IMO.

  3. #313
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    I still play my original Sega Genesis and Apple IIe games with the appropriate emulator. I even play old Dos games with "DOSBox." So I have a massive library of games no console can touch.

    Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz water cooled. 16GB DDR3 & AMD R 280X 5BG DDR5.


    As for Walmart, who cares at this point? People can accept what they are paying and the hours or not. That simple. You want better? Go to school.

    Curious, why such a conservative OC? I clock my 3770K to 5.06 full time. I use a Corsair CWCH90 liquid cooler, and it's rock solid.

  4. #314
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    There has been economic studies confirming that Walmart provides the most savings for lower income earners and other wage earners than any other super centre or department store.

    I can provide you an example of that study if you'd like, but I'd doubt that you'd read it.
    there have also been several studies done that show the economic savings brought to a community by walmart are more than offset by the economic cost walmart brings by depressing wages in the area. basically what happens it that yes, prices in a new walmart's region decrease, but wages decrease more than the prices do so it bring a net economic harm to the community (mostly to the community's poor).

  5. #315
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    there have also been several studies done that show the economic savings brought to a community by walmart are more than offset by the economic cost walmart brings by depressing wages in the area. basically what happens it that yes, prices in a new walmart's region decrease, but wages decrease more than the prices do so it bring a net economic harm to the community (mostly to the community's poor).
    And the authors of said study are?

  6. #316
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    And the authors of said study are?
    here's one:

    http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/104.../541733907.pdf

    "The employment results indicate that a Wal-Mart store opening reduces county-level retail employment by about 150 workers, implying that each Wal-Mart worker replaces approximately 1.4 retail workers. This represents a 2.7 percent reduction in average retail employment. The payroll results indicate that Wal-Mart store openings lead to declines in county-level retail earnings of about $1.2 million, or 1.3 percent. Of course, these effects occurred against a backdrop of rising retail employment, and only imply lower retail employment growth than would have occurred absent the effects of Wal-Mart."

    looks like this one was written by a some a german dude and some non-german dudes.

  7. #317
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No more relevant than saying the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs. Would you say the treatment of indentured servants wasn't abuse because they decided to take those jobs? Or are we going to start playing the age old conservative game of real vs fake _____________?
    An indentured servant could not just leave and go elsewhere. An employee has a choice to work for a company or not within the bounds of a legal contract.

    Again your argument is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #318
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    Curious, why such a conservative OC? I clock my 3770K to 5.06 full time. I use a Corsair CWCH90 liquid cooler, and it's rock solid.
    Why? As far as returns go it's not really worth it as it is not a bottleneck even at stock speeds. On top of that I would have to modify the heat spreader on the processor as the 4770 is not soldered. Then there is all the tweaking of the ram etc that I am not interested in doing just for the sake of doing it.

    It's a waist of time and effort for something I can't even use or need. I would rather be playing video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #319
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    An indentured servant could not just leave and go elsewhere.
    They agreed to that in their contracts. Does that make their punishment justified or not?



    C'man man, you're better than this.

    An employee has a choice to work for a company or not within the bounds of a legal contract.

    Again your argument is absurd.
    This depends on choice. How much work is available? Is Walmart the only real employer within a reasonable traveling distance? Again, this argument of just leaving the workplace only works if you know all the factors to the person's living conditions. If you don't, it's mostly wishful thinking and theorizing.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #320
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    They agreed to that in their contracts. Does that make their punishment justified or not?



    C'man man, you're better than this.
    Again you are trying to compare and illegal act to a legal one as in Employee in 2014 vs an indentured servant circa the 1800's. Your argument is just so stupid and lacks in even basic common sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This depends on choice. How much work is available? Is Walmart the only real employer within a reasonable traveling distance?
    Then go someplace else, it's your choice as a free individual. The government is not responsible for your life circumstance. Hell I drove 2500 miles to CA because I did not like where I was. Lived in my car for a month while I saved to get a place working 3 jobs. So if you have the drive, you can do what you want. So you have a choice no matter your circumstance in the US.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Again, this argument of just leaving the workplace only works if you know all the factors to the person's living conditions. If you don't, it's mostly wishful thinking and theorizing.
    You still don't get it. Their circumstance is irrelevant. You can, no matter what your circumstances are, leave if you don't like the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •