Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #261
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    I obviously wasn't talking about you, but anyone working in retail, in general. It is a very common misconception people make online believing that their personal lives concern me.

    It doesn't.



    Retail use to be a good industry? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Were adults always taking retail jobs in the States? As far as I know, those jobs only went to teens to gain marketable skills. What a backwards country this is... As far as I'm concerned, it's not a real job. It requires the bare minimum skills (probably less than that) with hardly no educational background at all. All associates do is take my money while pretending to be nice or care about me and everything they sell on the shelfs contributes to your ballooning trade deficit.

    Yeah, it's not much of a real job.
    Yes adults have always took retail jobs, Im the grocery model used prior to walmart and still by most union stores, teenagers take the bag boy positions which are stepping stones to department positions, stockers, managers, and so on. You clearly have never worked a grocery retail environment, there's much more then just pretending to be nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #262
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Another worthless socialist "law" that needs to be overturned and all supporters of hung.
    Well sure come on down to my place with a rope, man have I got a surprise for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #263
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    Its not a corporate sponsored study. It is a paper studying the consumer benefit from increased competition in shopping outlets spurred by Walmart, either by merely opening a shop in the area or competing for business in the area. This was commissioned by the National Bureau of Economic Research, which is a non-profit organisation. The study uses a utility-consistent economic model using a consumer expenditure function with statistics already provided by the Bureau of Labour Statistics. And yes, these models are more accurate than your anecdotal nonsense.
    bring your study to check out and see if if changes your total then I'll accept your argument, I have worked directly in this field in the past, milk is the same price everywhere, so is beer, so are cigarettes, so are potato chips. In nearly all cases the vendors control the prices to a greater extent then the store. Walmarts savings are exaggerated, go to the union store, buy the exact same basket of grocery products as Walmart, then go buy at walmart. Direct observation is more reliable then studies which are easy to skew.





    Society as a whole is not, which includes low income people.
    Wrong, rising tide lifts all boats, transferring wealth from the top to people who consume more creates more jobs for the lower and middle class. The real wages of workers have stagnated as big corporate taxes were lowered and rates of unionization decreased, in fact real wages haven't grow since the 1970s eve though productivity has increased. The richest meanwhile have increased earnings 700% clearly there is an issue here, forcing that 700 percent downward will help everyone else.


    And? So are plenty of other stores. The way you cite the datapoint, you'd think Walmart was the only store in the economy that accepted EBT...
    Everyone accepts food stamps, which is why your argument that stores paying living wages hurt the poor, the poor aren't paying out of pocket for food now, so slightly higher prices cannot hurt them
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #264
    Student Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    216

    Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    It is very possible that some customers did not want to shop at WM on Black Friday because of poor customer service. Store sales were down on that day.

    There are other factors involved here. People may have wanted to avoid the heavy, rude crowds. They may have wanted to not waste a lot of time in a checkout line. They may have also wanted purchases without taxes. Black Friday WAS down, but Cyber Monday (IE: the Monday after Thanksgiving) set all time records:

    http://www.techcrunch.com/2014/12/02...-the-holidays/

  5. #265
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    It is very possible that some customers did not want to shop at WM on Black Friday because of poor customer service. Store sales were down on that day.

    There are other factors involved here. People may have wanted to avoid the heavy, rude crowds. They may have wanted to not waste a lot of time in a checkout line. They may have also wanted purchases without taxes. Black Friday WAS down, but Cyber Monday (IE: the Monday after Thanksgiving) set all time records:

    http://www.techcrunch.com/2014/12/02...-the-holidays/
    I ordered from Walmart.com on cybermonday, but not much. I was looking around for Xbox one games and they had one I ordered but it was not great sale. The one I wanted was sold out online but I bout it in the store today for maybe $7 more and it won't take 2 weeks to get it with their slow free shipping. Nobody really had much of anything game wise on sale for Xbox ones that I could find, not even on amazon.

  6. #266
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I ordered from Walmart.com on cybermonday, but not much. I was looking around for Xbox one games and they had one I ordered but it was not great sale. The one I wanted was sold out online but I bout it in the store today for maybe $7 more and it won't take 2 weeks to get it with their slow free shipping. Nobody really had much of anything game wise on sale for Xbox ones that I could find, not even on amazon.
    Was surprised -- Hubs and baby daughter both have wanted an Xbox One since they came out. I got them one last week, but was surprised at the lack of really good games. I mean, there are a few, but not much, and Walmart's selection sucked balls. I did get a few good ones on Thanksgiving night for $25 each, but still not, you know, really good games. I just hope that it comes out with more games. They usually do, once they've been out for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #267
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Another worthless socialist "law" that needs to be overturned and all supporters of hung.
    Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like advocating for one's political opponents to be killed.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #268
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Was surprised -- Hubs and baby daughter both have wanted an Xbox One since they came out. I got them one last week, but was surprised at the lack of really good games. I mean, there are a few, but not much, and Walmart's selection sucked balls. I did get a few good ones on Thanksgiving night for $25 each, but still not, you know, really good games. I just hope that it comes out with more games. They usually do, once they've been out for a while.
    Yeah I will probably stop by gamestop sometime in the next week or two. They didn't have a lot deal wise on line either. I got the Duck Dynasty game from Walmart.com because it is about the closest to a hunting game I could find for X that wasn't a war game and I did get it at a discount. I bought Grand Theft Auto V today in the store. $60 a game sucks balls. I don't even have a working game system other than PC. My sister bought the assassin's creed bundle xbox for one of my brothers for Christmas so I said I would buy him some additional games.

  9. #269
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like advocating for one's political opponents to be killed.
    Merry Christmas, you mean.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #270
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Merry Christmas, you mean.
    They'll revoke my War on Christmas rank if I say that.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •