Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 367

Thread: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

  1. #111
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Maybe you should get a better grasp of the English language.

    *ps* that doesn't mean that you have to physically take hold, and "grasp" the English language, just in case you were confused.
    His posts are making my hangover even worse.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #112
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,628

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post

    When You Force Employees to Work on Holidays, Everyone Suffers


    I don't suffer.
    I don't suffer! I look forward to this.

    I'll bet the employees don't suffer, either, when they cash those paychecks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  3. #113
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    OK. Let me spell it out for you, because obviously nuances of the English language are lost on you.

    When I say they "can't back out," I don't mean they "can't back out." I don't mean that some big-ass security guard is going to come knocking on their door at 2am if they fail to show up for their shift.

    When I say they "can't back out," I mean that their job requires them to work. If they back out, they should (and probably will) be terminated.

    When I tell you that you can't drop trou and piss behind the ficus plant in the office, you do realize that, if you actually do drop trou and piss behind the ficus plant, you aren't going to be physically manhandled, don't you? You have a job, you do it. If you do it wrong, or don't do it at all, you get fired. Nothing more to it than that.
    whether they "should" be fired is a tough question to answer. they "should" be fired if the company feels like they can find a replacement who will provide the same value. if the company feels that they will gain more value by keeping the employee, the company "should" keep them because it's in their best interest to do so.

  4. #114
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,628

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    His posts are making my hangover even worse.
    I know, his posts are like, "I don't understand. I don't understand."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #115
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Maybe you should get a better grasp of the English language.

    *ps* that doesn't mean that you have to physically take hold, and "grasp" the English language, just in case you were confused.
    i'm sorry that my point went over your head. in future discussions i'll try to be more clear.

  6. #116
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    His posts are making my hangover even worse.
    again, i'm sorry that you can't comprehend my point. i promise i haven't said anything controversial unless you think that "employees have the right to strike in a free market" and "employers have the right to fire employees in a free market" are controversial statements.

  7. #117
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not saying that anyone is forcing people to participate, but the mere fact that people used to respond en masse to the early morning Friday sales should tell you that it isn't the public that is demanding the change. They are simply responding to the corporation desires to shift the sales to Thanksgiving.
    That really is just so much bull****.

    I'll give you an example. Here in Toronto, for the longest time, we had no stores open on Sundays - it goes back a long way to when we didn't have sports on Sundays, etc. - Sunday was truly a day of rest, a family day, blah blah blah. Then one store opened, against the law, and was fined for it - it was a furrier, of all places. His store was swamped with buyers and he made far more money than the fines and the government kept trying to close him down and the shoppers kept coming. Then other stores wanted in on the action because this guy was making a good profit, providing access to customers who wanted to shop.

    Over time, the push came FROM THE CUSTOMER PUBLIC to allow stores to open on Sundays. A lot of stores didn't want to open, they wanted one day of rest a week, particularly the smaller stores with little hired staff. But the customers were demanding it and politicians started to listen. Two of the biggest reasons why customers wanted stores open on Sundays was 1) they work all week and having a second day on the weekend to shop made it more convenient for them and 2) lots of people worked shifts and couldn't get to stores at their usual hours and Sundays gave them that extra choice.

    Stores didn't want to open because they reasoned that their sales wouldn't increase and their overhead would. They'd have the same number of customers from 6 days spread over 7 days and they'd have to pay the fixed costs of opening plus additional sales staff costs for that extra day. So the store owners didn't really want it, but the customers did. And guess what - over time, sales increased because people had more opportunity to shop and they wanted to. And it also increased part time employment opportunities for students and seniors who wanted to work on Sundays.

    Over the more recent years, that customer push has moved to wanting stores open on statutory holidays too.

    Go figure - a lot of people like spending their spare time shopping.

    Bottom line, businesses are meeting customer demand and that's what capitalism is all about.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #118
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    i guess i don't understand what you're saying then. are you saying that retail workers should be legally required to show up to work because emergency workers do too?
    No, not because of emergency workers, because the walmart workers new they may have to work holidays. I also believe if the consumer would not shop on Thanksgiving Day, the stores would not be open or would close early. Holidays have become way to commercialized.

    I also eluded that many people don't know what Thanksgiving is about, could care less, for some its just an excuse for a day off.

  9. #119
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,552

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    No, not because of emergency workers, because the walmart workers new they may have to work holidays. I also believe if the consumer would not shop on Thanksgiving Day, the stores would not be open or would close early. Holidays have become way to commercialized.

    I also eluded that many people don't know what Thanksgiving is about, could care less, for some its just an excuse for a day off.
    <emphasis mine> so you do think they should be legally required to work? i disagree. strongly.

  10. #120
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Walmart Workers Launch Black Friday Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by bg85 View Post
    <emphasis mine> so you do think they should be legally required to work? i disagree. strongly.
    then we disagree.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •