Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    President Obama will announce Thursday that he will use his executive authority to expand temporary protections to millions of undocumented immigrants, according to several individuals who have been briefed on the decision. Obama will travel to Las Vegas on the heels of that announcement to rally support for his initiative on Friday.Congress will receive official details on the move Thursday, according to a senior Democratic Party official.
    Even before final confirmation of the president’s plans, outside advocates began readying events to promote the administration’s immigration policy.
    “We hear there will be a prime time Thursday evening announcement (to preview) and full unveiling in Vegas on Friday,” immigration advocate Dawn Le wrote in an email to other activists, which was later inadvertently sent to a group of reporters Wednesday morning. “Can folks begin to work and plan watch parties for Thursday and/or Friday? Unclear whether Thursday night content will be what is "celebratory", but Friday will be where we need a lot of energy guaranteed.”


    Correction: This report incorrectly attributed strategy comments to AFL-CIO spokesman Jeff Hauser rather than immigration advocate Dawn Le.
    Tom Hamburger, Jerry Markon and Robert Costa contributed to this report.


    Read more @: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    A leaked email has stated that Obama will announce executive action on immigration this Thursday. Interesting to see what the exact details of the announcement will be. Expect the right to scream and yell, yadda yadda yadda.


  2. #2
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    A leaked email has stated that Obama will announce executive action on immigration this Thursday. Interesting to see what the exact details of the announcement will be. Expect the right to scream and yell, yadda yadda yadda. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    What gets me is that a lot of what they are saying he is proposing makes a lot of sense, and I think would be supported by many republicans so I am not sure of why he is moving so fast on this? I think the biggest hurdle for most American's (If you look at polling data) is the securing of the border, and hash penalties for employers of illegals. None of which was included in the expected EO. Look, more than any other issue in this nation I think here is where BO is missing a huge opportunity for true bi-partisan support. I can't fathom why he is pushing so hard unless he's really just looking for a fight?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #3
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Impeach the fool, doesn't Mexico need a new president? Maybe the asshole can get work down there.

  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,203

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Let the games begin.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What gets me is that a lot of what they are saying he is proposing makes a lot of sense, and I think would be supported by many republicans so I am not sure of why he is moving so fast on this? I think the biggest hurdle for most American's (If you look at polling data) is the securing of the border, and hash penalties for employers of illegals. None of which was included in the expected EO. Look, more than any other issue in this nation I think here is where BO is missing a huge opportunity for true bi-partisan support. I can't fathom why he is pushing so hard unless he's really just looking for a fight?


    Tim-
    Of course not, because then it might be effective.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    We are really going to have a big fight now in order to stop the government from addressing a national problem. Not even about which solution is best, just to prevent there being a solution at all. How did we go from two parties that have different policy, to one that thinks we should have a functioning government and one that doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle for most American's (If you look at polling data) is the securing of the border, and hash penalties for employers of illegals.

    It's not, actually. Those are just the Fox News talking points. The rest of the country recognizes that our borders are huge, understands that people walking north from Mexico accounts for less than half of illegal immigration, and actually just wants to integrate the people who are here. That's the majority opinion. Most Americans don't want to punish anyone. They just want things to work better.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #7
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Just got an update from The Hill (magazine), states that: "Obama to make immigration announcement in primetime Thursday address"


  8. #8
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    As I see it, the Senate passed an immigration reform bill, but Boehner has stated that he will never bring the bill to a vote in the House. He said, instead, that the house would craft their own bill. I can't seem to find that bill. And this is over a year later. If Boehner won't act, I have no problem with the President using his authority to get immigration reform done.
    Hail to the King baby!

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Will be interesting to see what actually is announced and thus have something concrete to actually talk about.

    If it's simply TEMPORARY allowance to remain in this country, no matter how wide spread, as this article suggests then I don't think Impeachment or a shutdown is reasonable, however I do think such will absolutely poison the well from the very onset between this President and the next congresses on immigration and likely many other issues as well.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: President Obama to announce executive action on immigration Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Will be interesting to see what actually is announced and thus have something concrete to actually talk about.

    If it's simply TEMPORARY allowance to remain in this country, no matter how wide spread, as this article suggests then I don't think Impeachment or a shutdown is reasonable, however I do think such will absolutely poison the well from the very onset between this President and the next congresses on immigration and likely many other issues as well.
    Obama probably figures he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If the Congress does what McConnell says, Obama will be busy vetoing bills the next two years looking like an obstructionist.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •