Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 128

Thread: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

  1. #71
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Well, it gets dangerous when you use a small quote to prove a point. A good example is when people try to say this is a Christian nation and then quote them on their views on God.
    very true, which is why you have to do a lot of reading, and don't half quote.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when you quote the founders, then you cannot be wrong, because they created the Constitution, whereas if you give your own opinion on it, ..it just your opinion.

    which is why i always refer to the founders on the Constitution when discussed in the forum
    You do know that Barak Obama doesn't like the founding fathers of our nation.

    I think it's a leftist thing.

  3. #73
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    You do know that Barak Obama doesn't like the founding fathers of our nation.

    I think it's a leftist thing.
    i am sure he does not, people on the left do not like them, because they feel the founders did not live by their words, however many times they are confused, because they quote the Constitution......which only creates federalism...

    'instead they should be looking at the states for the issues they have with the founders they are not happy about.

  4. #74
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i am sure he does not, people on the left do not like them, because they feel the founders did not live by their words, however many times they are confused, because they quote the Constitution......which only creates federalism...

    'instead they should be looking at the states for the issues they have with the founders they are not happy about.
    I mean, Hamilton wasn't my favorite, but I don't see why many would not like them. Everything is best in context, and in context, they were so far ahead of their time. And I doubt that Barack wouldn't see or acknowledge that.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    It's done legally - via legislation. Look, there is a reason we are called progressives and you are called conservatives. My group is constantly looking at the current situation and past events and saying, "how can we use all of this to move forward and make a better future". And conservatives look at today and look back and say, "we need to go back to that because that was working".

    And there is probably something good in that - you can't move forward too fast because not all progressive policies are correct and they need to be thoroughly vetted. But you can't sit there and continue idling or going backwards as well.

    So quit playing the victim. We're all working for the same thing, we just have different ideas of what that thing should be.
    And that is exactly why both terms are worthless. People that call themselves progressives rarely have new ideas and people that call themselves conservatives are not always for how things are or were in the past. For that matter, many progressives spend a considerable amount of time defending the status quo.

  6. #76
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I mean, Hamilton wasn't my favorite, but I don't see why many would not like them. Everything is best in context, and in context, they were so far ahead of their time. And I doubt that Barack wouldn't see or acknowledge that.
    they were ahead of their time, the founders read a lot, and Madison read about government before he framed the blueprint for the Constitution months before the Constitutional convention, and he asked himself the question "why do governments fail"

    because they turn tyrannical in the end.

    a king becomes a dictator

    rule of the few becomes an oligarchy

    rule by all, becomes mob rule

    our founders sought to solve this problem by incorporating all three governments into American government

    monarchy aristocracy, and democracy.

    which when there are three different types of government within American government, tyranny cannot take place because each has power to prevent the takeover of the other.
    Last edited by Master PO; 11-19-14 at 01:54 AM.

  7. #77
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And that is exactly why both terms are worthless. People that call themselves progressives rarely have new ideas and people that call themselves conservatives are not always for how things are or were in the past. For that matter, many progressives spend a considerable amount of time defending the status quo.
    What, exactly, do conservatives push for that is new?

    Energy - Fossil fuels
    Health care - Private Insurance-based system
    Taxes - I mean, they'd go back to the 1800s when there were no federal taxes if they could (but not really because they like government too when it suits them).
    Sexuality - I don't really need to delve into that right?
    Infrastructure - Well, unless it's some sort of pipeline for those fossil fuels, right?
    Guns - The 2nd amendment is the 2nd amendment, and anything that restricts gun ownership is bad, amiright?
    The poor - I don't even know if there is an idea for that other than they put themselves in that situation. Good luck to them.

    I'm sure I'm missing plenty of other issues. You tell me man - what innovative ideas are the republicans pushing? Putting up a border between the US and Mexico? I got nothing.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #78
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    they were ahead of their time, the founders read a lot, and Madison read about government before he framed the blueprint for the Constitution months before the Constitutional convention, and he asked himself the question "why do governments fail"

    because they turn tyrannical in the end.

    a king becomes a dictator

    rule of the few becomes an oligarchy

    rule by all, becomes mob rule

    our founders sought to solve this problem by incorporating all three governments into American government

    monarchy aristocracy, and democracy.

    which when there are three different types of government within American government, tyranny cannot take place because each has power to prevent the takeover of the other.
    And I think they did the best they could to lay the foundations for equality of the people as well.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #79
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    And I think they did the best they could to lay the foundations for equality of the people as well.
    they knew it would be impossible to free blacks and fight a revolution without the slaves states wanting it to continue.

    they could not get a constitution, if the government could free slaves , so they sought to end slavery by its importation by 1808, the founders believed slavery would end by the time of their deaths.

    Frederick Douglass, thought the constitution was wonderful document.

  10. #80
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    From a capitalist perspective or a socialist?

    I think clearly when need to a more social democratic mode as a startl. We need to go back to economics before trickle down. I think we do need a bigger social welfare state. We need to being to raise the tax rate on the upper income levels. We need a reinvest in our infrastructure. We need to regulate banks more.
    I'm sorry, but can you please say specifically why regulating the banks will solve the issue of child homelessness?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •