Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 128

Thread: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

  1. #41
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Government benefits rarely prevent homelessness.
    then what do you think the solution would be....[serious question to you].

    if you don't have an answer that's fine, i am just asking if you have thought of an idea.

  2. #42
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    then what do you think the solution would be....[serious question to you].

    if you don't have an answer that's fine, i am just asking if you have thought of an idea.
    The solution to homelessness? Well, what would put a HUGE dent into homelessness is rebuilding the mental health infrastructure that has slowly deteriorated over the last 30-40 years. The single biggest two biggest causes of homelessness are substance abuse and mental illness, especially among veterans.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #43
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The solution to homelessness? Well, what would put a HUGE dent into homelessness is rebuilding the mental health infrastructure that has slowly deteriorated over the last 30-40 years. The single biggest two biggest causes of homelessness are substance abuse and mental illness, especially among veterans.
    i have to agree with that.

  4. #44
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What do you suggest be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    So what do you suggest?
    From a capitalist perspective or a socialist?

    I think clearly when need to a more social democratic mode as a startl. We need to go back to economics before trickle down. I think we do need a bigger social welfare state. We need to being to raise the tax rate on the upper income levels. We need a reinvest in our infrastructure. We need to regulate banks more.


  5. #45
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    From a capitalist perspective or a socialist?

    I think clearly when need to a more social democratic mode as a startl. We need to go back to economics before trickle down. I think we do need a bigger social welfare state. We need to being to raise the tax rate on the upper income levels. We need a reinvest in our infrastructure. We need to regulate banks more.

    that's you plan, raise taxes and increase welfare.

    you should have just said you wish to turn America into Europe.

  6. #46
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [udderly unnecessary emphasis added by bubba]
    Attachment 67176085
    how much better would those kids be without those programs ... and why?
    Helping people stay poor, that's just awesome. And I used the word udder on purpose, get it?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Counting those in shelters, hotels or motels as "homeless" is not very honest. Much like saying that those receiving "safety net" benefits bringing them above the FPL are still "really" still below the FPL because the cash value of that aid is not counted.

    Form the OP link's referenced report's homeless definition:

    I can see your point with hotels and motels, but not with shelters. Many homeless people choose to sleep outside rather than in shelters because they are so miserable and only provide shelter for sleeping, not living. Residential hotels are housing. Motels and tourist hotels are housing, but due to the high daily cost compared to an apartment it is not a real solution for people who can not afford to stay there for long.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    From a capitalist perspective or a socialist?

    I think clearly when need to a more social democratic mode as a startl. We need to go back to economics before trickle down. I think we do need a bigger social welfare state. We need to being to raise the tax rate on the upper income levels. We need a reinvest in our infrastructure. We need to regulate banks more.
    So more of the same gets kids off the streets how exactly??.. Bigger government is your answer?

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Oh my. Didn't take long for this to turn into a hack fest did it? Blah blah blah it's the liberals' fault. Blah blah blah it's the conservatives' fault. Has anybody thought for a moment there might be other factors contributing to this? Like child abuse, religious intolerance (kicking children out for being gay), etc?

    The longer we keep pointing fingers and avoiding the actual issue, the longer this tragedy goes on without solution.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Homelessness among US children at all-time high

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Oh my. Didn't take long for this to turn into a hack fest did it? Blah blah blah it's the liberals' fault. Blah blah blah it's the conservatives' fault. Has anybody thought for a moment there might be other factors contributing to this? Like child abuse, religious intolerance (kicking children out for being gay), etc?

    The longer we keep pointing fingers and avoiding the actual issue, the longer this tragedy goes on without solution.
    I doubt kids being kicked out for being gay is a leading factor.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •