Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 430

Thread: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

  1. #281
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    As an ISP, what do I need to provide "better" internet? I need better wire and better servers, right? How do I get those things? I have to buy them, right? How do I get the money to buy them? I charge my customers.
    Your fundamental mistake here is that you are making the unwarranted assumption that an ISP's goal is "better internet service." It is not. It never has been. The only goal of a company is profit maximization, which in almost all situations has an inverse relationship with service quality. The higher the company's quality of goods/services (high COGs) the lower the take home profit (lower net income).

    Now high quality service may bring profitability for some companies in select markets, but in highly monopolized markets like for ISPs, there is almost NO existent market forces that would force an ISP to provide high quality service. Better infrastructure for Time Warner means absolutely nothing. It already owns entire geographical markets and that's not going to change -- 30% of Americans have 1 ISP choice, 67% have 2 or fewer ISP choices. Thus a dollar spent by an ISP improving its service is a dollar in the trash. Which is why Comcast, AT&T, Timer Warner and Cox Communications are routinely awarded nominations as the "Worst Company in America."
    Last edited by brothern; 11-18-14 at 06:28 PM.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  2. #282
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The whole point of being in business is to make money and there are really only two ways that happens.
    Yes. That's my point. It's to make money, not provide "infastructure" simply out of the good of their heart.

    You know when they'll provide infastructure? When they need to do it. Regardless of whether or not they're getting EXTRA money on top of their customer base by charging content users for data passing through their network.

    Oh, and by the way, there's absolutely other businesses that tend to survive by providing ****ty service at ever increasing prices....Cable Companies, because they have psuedo-monopolies in most areas, going back to my earlier point that this isn't a free market and thus it's unreasonable to just assume standard market principles will keep everything in check.

  3. #283
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I understand it doesn't affect you. Whether or not something affects you personally doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem.

    I don't own any firearms at this point in time. If there was a ban on "assault rifles" once again it would have zero direct effect on me. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned with the larger implications of what such actions could mean, or what it potentially opens the door to in the future.

    Maybe you don't use Peer 2 Peer file transfer services, and so Comcasts throttling of those services in the past wouldn't affect you.

    Maybe you don't use vonage, so telecoms that provide phone service blocking or hampering that service over it's networks may not affect you.

    Maybe you don't use netflix, and so a telecom having ridiculously slow speeds for it until Netflix agreed to pay them money at which point their speeds took a precipitous spike may not affect you.

    Maybe you don't use firefox, so a telecon hijacking it's google search abilities to be routed to it's own personal web search browser may not affect you.

    But that doesn't mean those aren't potential problems. It doesn't mean that Verizon arguing before a court that it should be able to discriminate against data on it's network for any reason it likes, and should be able to charge content providers extra money for data from them that transfers over Verizon's network or be punished with throttling can't lead to a potential problem for many people, or even for you. It doesn't mean that an abandonment of net neutrality principles over the next decade to two won't end up impacting you.

    Should I simply not oppose aims at restricting gun usage because I don't own a gun? Or should I have the wherewithall to understand that issues exist beyond those that directly impact me, and a problem is a problem regardless of it's personal touch on my life.
    I respect your post, but as I said in my previous post that this fix needs to be done right and taking the time to do it right, not some off the cuff quick fix solution.
    If that happens we're all screwed and a bit poorer.

  4. #284
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Holy ****!
    Somehow you think what you just said is relevant.
    It isn't.
    Regulation stifles. Period.
    And such a classification brings with it taxes. Which you keep ignoring.
    So cell phones aren't subject to the taxes and regulations I mentioned?

    You might find this helpful

    http://wireless.fcc.gov/index.htm?jo...nd_regulations

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I was not responding to you in my post. Your snarky "If you don't understand the issue, why not educate yourself before commenting on the situation" puts you in the category of those who are part of the problem. And by "snarky" I mean "nasty."
    I don't think snarky means the same thing as nasty, but I understand your point.

    Your reach has exceeded your grasp here. Very sorry that you don't understand the difference between "not entirely familiar" and "not familiar," but you should take your own recommendation to heart and not be in such a rush to attack others.
    Yes, I apologize. I misread your posting.

  6. #286
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    One of the only things I trust less than the government is Comcast. Don't "fix" what has been working just fine.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Are you COMPLETELY UNAWARE that ISPs have throttled Netflixks?
    Are you completely unaware as to the reason why?



    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So you, like Excon have nothing but complaints? No solutions? Worthless.
    Your continued focus on me and for the reasons stated (which is wrong) is nothing more than an example of a person who can not form a coherent argument and instead attacks the poster.
    Expected typical liberal bs.

    Try discussing the actual topic for a change.





    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm not going to waste a lot of time worrying what Ted Cruz thinks, but i'm not surprised that he profoundly misunderstands the consequences of an internet with slow lanes. he has a lot of company in that area, though.

    Your lack of spending time has lead you to make an erroneous statement.
    Nowhere is it evident that he does, or does not understand what you call slow lanes.





    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    So cell phones aren't subject to the taxes and regulations I mentioned?
    More dishonesty from you. Figures.
    I didn't say that or even argue that.
    So try being honest.

    The point was that you had not addressed the fact that classifying it as a utility will bring taxes to it. Which is a negative.
    A negative we do not need.
    And btw, the creation of cell phones (which is where the constant innovation is) is not regulated like the service that the phone uses is. So you have no point there either.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #288
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,665

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Cable companies.
    I know, I know.

    Maybe it's just me but in the past several years my cable service has become far more consistent and offers more stuff. Same goes for my internet even before I got cable.

    I used to lose internet service at the office pretty much every time we had an electric storm. It was more or less a given that once I heard thunder I'd better wrap up whatever I needed to get done because it was just going to be a matter of time. That was maybe 7 years ago and all of a sudden we stopped having that problem because Qwest put in better equipment.

    My cable used to go out pretty regularly. I'd be sitting there watching the game and my team was down by 2 but had the ball and just completed a pass to get them to the 27 yard line with 7 seconds left and then the cable would go out. That hasn't happened recently that I can recall and I also have a bunch of new channels to browse through as well as some "on demand" stuff that I haven't really figured out yet. Heck, the last time I had a problem Cox sent someone out to my house with a new box on a Sunday!

  9. #289
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    More dishonesty from you. Figures.
    I didn't say that or even argue that.
    So try being honest.

    The point was that you had not addressed the fact that classifying it as a utility will bring taxes to it. Which is a negative.
    A negative we do not need.
    And btw, the creation of cell phones (which is where the constant innovation is) is not regulated like the service that the phone uses is. So you have no point there either.
    So that FCC link I gave you will bring a 404 error up, right, since these regulations don't exist?

  10. #290
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,893

    Re: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Al Franken On Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I know, I know.

    Maybe it's just me but in the past several years my cable service has become far more consistent and offers more stuff. Same goes for my internet even before I got cable.

    I used to lose internet service at the office pretty much every time we had an electric storm. It was more or less a given that once I heard thunder I'd better wrap up whatever I needed to get done because it was just going to be a matter of time. That was maybe 7 years ago and all of a sudden we stopped having that problem because Qwest put in better equipment.

    My cable used to go out pretty regularly. I'd be sitting there watching the game and my team was down by 2 but had the ball and just completed a pass to get them to the 27 yard line with 7 seconds left and then the cable would go out. That hasn't happened recently that I can recall and I also have a bunch of new channels to browse through as well as some "on demand" stuff that I haven't really figured out yet. Heck, the last time I had a problem Cox sent someone out to my house with a new box on a Sunday!
    I have Time Warner, and my service has gotten exponentially worse (mostly due to repeated equipment failures due to TWC basically refurbishing old cable boxes/modems and reissuing them, only for them to quickly break again), while my bill continues to go up, up, up.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •